Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:53 AM   #11
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrain View Post
Living in Daegu. Awesome so far. What did you do in Korea?
Well, I lived in Namyang and taught English for about a year in Hwaseong City. I travelled around for 6 months or so after that in S.Korea, Japan and China.

I never went as south as Daegu, I travelled around Daejoen and mostly the northern parts of S.Korea before moving on.

Have you learned to love Kimchee yet?
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #12
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Quote:
So you are finding some good results with this? How long have you been doing it?
I've been on the routine for a couple weeks now. I'm currently cutting, but progression is going at a good pace and the lifts flow very well together. I just switched from a 4 day routine (5/3/1) and much prefer the feel of the new one.

By the end of week two, I've hit rep records on chins and dips - not an easy thing to do at 250#s. My bench feels more solid, my squats are doing better with the increased frequency, and the power cleans are on the fast track to big weights.

The best part of the routine IMO is the frequency that important lifts get hit. Heavy deadlifts for than once a week will burn you out quickly, the extra squatting is good practice, and the rotation on bench/OHP will help keep your shoulders strong and healthy while giving you a very respectable bench press.

Final note, if my progression is going well on a cut, I can't wait to see how well it goes once I start to bulk again. Full bodies and bulks were meant for each other.
bruteforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:48 AM   #13
gtrain
Points: 83, Level: 1 Points: 83, Level: 1 Points: 83, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Exercise: dead lift/squat
Fav Supp: clout/blue gene
gtrain is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Well, I lived in Namyang and taught English for about a year in Hwaseong City. I travelled around for 6 months or so after that in S.Korea, Japan and China.

I never went as south as Daegu, I travelled around Daejoen and mostly the northern parts of S.Korea before moving on.

Have you learned to love Kimchee yet?
Awesome. I am teaching English as well. I actually like the kimchi. I hear it is very, very good for you as well. That will go good with lifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
I've been on the routine for a couple weeks now. I'm currently cutting, but progression is going at a good pace and the lifts flow very well together. I just switched from a 4 day routine (5/3/1) and much prefer the feel of the new one.

By the end of week two, I've hit rep records on chins and dips - not an easy thing to do at 250#s. My bench feels more solid, my squats are doing better with the increased frequency, and the power cleans are on the fast track to big weights.

The best part of the routine IMO is the frequency that important lifts get hit. Heavy deadlifts for than once a week will burn you out quickly, the extra squatting is good practice, and the rotation on bench/OHP will help keep your shoulders strong and healthy while giving you a very respectable bench press.

Final note, if my progression is going well on a cut, I can't wait to see how well it goes once I start to bulk again. Full bodies and bulks were meant for each other.
Good points. I guess hitting major lifts like that more than once a week, if that for some, will really help out. What kinds of sets/reps should I be doing? 4x8, 3x10, 5x5?
gtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #14
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

I'm currently doing different combinations of sets/reps for them. Squats are 5x4 for heavy day, 3x8 on light day, and 3x8 for goblet squats. Deadlifts I am running an anello cycle, wanted to see how that would work, and they far outclass any of my other big lifts. Bench is 5x4 as well. Everything is is 5x5.

That being said, rep range is sort of up to you. I like low reps, but higher reps are probably just fine for most people.
bruteforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:19 PM   #15
gtrain
Points: 83, Level: 1 Points: 83, Level: 1 Points: 83, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Exercise: dead lift/squat
Fav Supp: clout/blue gene
gtrain is off to a bad start

A few questions about the workout:

1) for bench, if I can not find a spotter what should I do? The dumbbells only go to 50lbs. Should I use the smith machine and add more weight? Hard to find a spotter when no one speaks the same language and the trainers are useless as I asked one and he spotted me for one set and walked off.

2)over head press. Should this be seated or standing?

3)high pull. should this be done strict or should you have a little bend in your knees and "stand up" as you are pulling? What about alternating with sumo dead lift high pulls?

4)goblet squats. Again, very small free wights. Any alternatives to get more weight?

Thank you! started the other night and I am super sore.
gtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #16
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
A few questions about the workout:

1) for bench, if I can not find a spotter what should I do? The dumbbells only go to 50lbs. Should I use the smith machine and add more weight? Hard to find a spotter when no one speaks the same language and the trainers are useless as I asked one and he spotted me for one set and walked off.

2)over head press. Should this be seated or standing?

3)high pull. should this be done strict or should you have a little bend in your knees and "stand up" as you are pulling? What about alternating with sumo dead lift high pulls?

4)goblet squats. Again, very small free wights. Any alternatives to get more weight?

Thank you! started the other night and I am super sore.
1) You have a squat rack or any rack with adjustable pins?

2) I prefer them seated, but it doesn't matter much.

3) I wouldn't get involved with the sumo stance version until you feel comfortable with the movement in general.

This is an explosive type movement. I personally set up like a power clean and explode the bar up in the same manner.

4) Give this a try. (If you haven't already) Even 50 pounds is hard. There are certainly alternatives, but this is a good light style leg exercise that also trains the core quite hard. I am hesitant to recommend another lift until we see how your back is holding up to the demands of a fullbody program.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote