Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:09 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Poll: Stubborn Muscle Groups

Which muscle group(s) have been most stubborn for you to strengthen and/or build, and what are some of the ways you've tried to overcome this weakness?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Someone on Facebook answered:

Trapezoids

Old 09-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

My most stubborn lift to build up is the deadlift. This has to do with my [severe] back injury. It keeps me from pulling hard off the floor for fear of injury. This leaves me with doing lighter weights and higher reps. Higher reps and lighter weights don't seem to build the strength as fast as heavy weights and lower reps, but I do what I can do.

My hardest muscle group to develop is my legs. Because of the before mentioned [severe] back injury I have some nerve damage, so the muscles in my legs don't seem to respond to training as well as my other bodyparts. Luckily my legs do respond to high rep training, so it's my main style of squatting. I avoid heavy low rep training for fear of re-injuring my back.

As you can see, my back injury is something I have to work with. I don't use it as an excuse to not squat and deadlift, rather I find a way that I can continue to progress with these important lifts. The only limits you have are the ones you place upon yourself.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Someone on Facebook answered:

Trapezoids
Let me guess...
Lots of Shrugazoids and Upright Rowz
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Used to be shoulders and chest but that got sorted the last 5-6 years as my Bench went up. Even the ol' hamstring isn't playing up much these days either *fingers crossed*.

Not much else really.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Three lagging parts I've worked on during my bulk:

1. My calves. Even with all my leg work and gains in leg size and strength, my calves lag in size and look (IMO). Some of it is due to my height and leg length (34" pant leg). I started working them twice a week (once with legs, once without) with a bent-knee and straight-legged movement. I've seen some slow gains since I've done this.

2. My chest. I switched to DBs for flat bench and really feel that it alone made a ton of difference in how my chest looks.

3. Lateral Delts. I wanted a rounded, more capped look. My PT taught me to do seated lateral raises with back support. Shrug shoulders up, back, then depress and keep in contact with the bench for entire lift. I did most of this work with 10-20# DBs over 8 months time. This and dual cable lateral raises have helped a lot.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Shrugazoids
^ That cracked me up!

My weak spot was back. I always focused too much on mind muscle and not enough on power and explosiveness. I also was never a deadlifter.

The combination of adding deadlifts (in 2007) and focusing on forcefully rowing instead of babying my rows has really paid off. I still focus on pulling my rows properly. But now, my mentality is ripping them off the ground.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
BigFiveFive
White Mamba
Max Brawn
Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Barbell Rows
Fav Supp: AMS Pump Fixx
BigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributor

Chest for sure, my dad has a genetically small chest...

He blessed me with that as well. Our chests look exactly the same it crazy.

Get your Fixx at the Muscle and Strength store!
http://www.muscleandstrength.com/sto...e-science.html

Or our online store!
www.advancedmusclescience.com

Don't talk about it, Be about it
!

TEAM THOR!
BigFiveFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #9
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
^ That cracked me up!

My weak spot was back. I always focused too much on mind muscle and not enough on power and explosiveness. I also was never a deadlifter.

The combination of adding deadlifts (in 2007) and focusing on forcefully rowing instead of babying my rows has really paid off. I still focus on pulling my rows properly. But now, my mentality is ripping them off the ground.
Hell yeah! There nothing like throwing some weight on a bar and setting up to it, and you know everyone thinks you're doing deads, then you rip that frekker off the ground with a flat back and hit your chest so hard that everyone is surprised you don't fall backwards.

I love BOR's, and I used to hate them.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #10
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Forearms and chest.

My bench seems to be all triceps, which are one of my better groups. Hoping dips will help this out.

I've never really trained forearms, but they are one area I would like to grow for vanity reasons as well as for grip strength.
bruteforce is online now   Reply With Quote