Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default pre-1990s Bodybuilders - Staying Lean and Cutting

One topic that interests me is nutrition prior to 1990. I like looking at how bodybuilders and powerlifters ate prior to the information overload era.

Here is a quote from Tom Platz I found last night:

Quote:
I would traditionally go on a higher fat diet and a high calorie diet, going into what I call "high fat metabolism." Really in the 70's we were all on the high-fat, high-protein diet; eating mostly eggs, tuna, and other meats, basically restricting our carbohydrate intake.
I know he played around with more carbs during certain shows, primarily 1981, but it seems this style approach was a staple for him.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Any idea how much was his carb intake on the high fat diets. Pre-1990s dieting is interesting. Unlike the modern day pros, they stayed pretty lean through out the year, with their competition weight being 10-20 lbs below their off-season weight.
kitarpyar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
Any idea how much was his carb intake on the high fat diets. Pre-1990s dieting is interesting. Unlike the modern day pros, they stayed pretty lean through out the year, with their competition weight being 10-20 lbs below their off-season weight.
Still trying to find that out. It's hard to find out information from Platz because he partnered with more than a few different authors over the years so a lot of information that is floating out there that doesn't reveal what he did during his peak building years.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

What about Draper, Ferrigno, the Mentzers and others? They were all from around that same time, give or take a few years. Definitely pre 1990. I too am interested in this subject.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

For Lou Ferrigno all I could find:

--4 to 5 meals per day
--Balanced diet. I have meat, fish, eggs, fruit and vegetables. I eat proteins every meal. I like to keep my calories to maybe 3,700 a day. I eat how I feel but I don't over indulge with sweets or anything like that.

And this regarding contest dieting:

Quote:
Question: So prior to your comeback at the 1992 Mr. Olympia in Helsinki, Finland, you had to go back to the drawing board to plot your approach for this contest with its new generation of top professionals. What exactly did you do differently compared to when you trained for the 1975 Mr. Olympia?

Lou: I trained the same way but the change was the diet. In the old days of Pumping Iron and when I won the Universe it was more like a low calorie, high carbohydrate diet. So I realized the difference were the carbohydrates. And instead of training down for the competition I would train hard off-season. And the body parts (training) were the same it was just that I trained smarter and paid more attention to correct form (for the 1992 Olympia).

Q: So prior to the 1975 Olympia you were eating only three times per day.

Lou: Yes.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Interesting quote, goes against the 5 - 6 meals a day theory.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I would be curious to see how big his 3 meals were at that time. He mentioned somewhere that he just ate instinctively. The talk about balance seemed to come around when he switched to 4-5 meals per day which makes me wonder if he was doing some monster chow sessions prior to that.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

I know that Sandow (I think it was Sandow) or one of the strongmen of that era used to take a sort of protein-based milk, similar to protein shakes, I guess, about 3 or so times a day in addition to his diet; though, I think, if memory serves me correctly, it was only 3 tablespoons mixed with water.

It's in one of the downloaded books that I have but I don't remember which one it was in; out of curiosity, I did look the brand name up via the internet but nothing came of it, and it was so long ago that I can't recall the brand name.

I was just fascinated to see that they were using a "supplement" so far back. I don't know if that's any help to you. If you're interested, you may be able to find the info in the Sandow site pdf downloadable books which is where I came across it.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #9
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

They are finding meals and the old eat every 2 hours isn't all its cracked up to be. They are finding its is all a "in and out" (burned that day) thing.

Many things they are finding out go agenst main stream ideals so you don't see a lot about it because its not back by money making companies.

I now a guy that did high fat and low carb and had great results with it. Same guy is also having great results with the "RAW" foods diet.
This also comes back to what your body works good with.
Meals per day, timing, macro % are not cookie cutter for everyone best results. Good info here though Steve for people to try and see if going out of the box and see if it works for them.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:33 AM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

One thing I will wager...if you are training hard and eating enough food, things will work out well.