Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #41
gethuge69
Brawn
Points: 823, Level: 15 Points: 823, Level: 15 Points: 823, Level: 15
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

gethuge69 is off to a bad start

Thx but if you and or anyone else had to pick, which would it be?

And once I got all my numbers up, and body weight up (I gotta eat aot more then that diet I posted) but after my compound numbers are big, then would I focus on something like an upper lower split?
gethuge69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #42
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

As Off road said, you've done a few different routines already. Now that your going to increase your food intake, which one would give you the most confidence that it's the best way to reach your goals? You don't necesarily need a strength based routine to add strength and then add muscle, but progressing on your lifts is a huge part of getting a muscle to grow.

I wish I could tell you exactly what to do but honestly, either one may be better. You're going to need to pick one and completely buy into it for a while to see how you react with the right diet for adding bulk. You can tweak small things as you go, but don't switch around unless you've really given a program a chance to work. As far as I'm concerned, 3 months is the bare minimum to see how you will react to a given program.

I think you're past the point of needing someone else to tell you exactly what to do, and the sooner you jump out on the limb with no one to answer to but yourself, the more you'll learn about yourself and how to get what you want.

My favorite golfer, Ben Hogan, used to say "the secret is in the dirt." What he meant is that once you get out there and hit enough balls, you'll start to figure things out. Well I'm sure everyone will agree with me when I say that for anyone who wants to change their body, the secret is in the iron. If you keep looking for it, you'll find it.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #43
gethuge69
Brawn

I see. Good input, thanks. I guess I think I should go wit the upper lower. I feel that way cuz eveyrthing will get hit twice a week, including my legs where testerone will be raised. Its also good cuz I work in the hypertrophy rep range, and I'm doing big compoound lifts in that rep rangge along with some isolation and accesory work as well which should help in the size deprtment as well. I can try to keeping adding weight to the bar for my compounds as often as possible AND it will be in the 8 rep range so that will help wit the mass. Also, its good cuz I can use the routine for a while, and as far as long term when my big lifts go up, I could always scale back the volume. Maybe like by only doing rows once a week, or chin ups/lats once a week, etc. It gives me a good long term plan. Plus if I thought my strength was going up but size wasn't this routine cud be considered more of a routine geared towards size. So I should stick wit that upper lower and keep progressing on my big lifts, eating a shit ton, getting my weight up to atleast 165 and I should look a lot better, and reduce cardio to two days?? All good? Plz feel free to coment as much as possible!! I appreiciate all the advice!! And man I'm so happy not to lift 5 days a week now
Old 09-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #44
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
I think you're past the point of needing someone else to tell you exactly what to do, and the sooner you jump out on the limb with no one to answer to but yourself, the more you'll learn about yourself and how to get what you want.
Awesomeness!!!
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #45
gethuge69
Brawn

Hey guys: Just wanted to give you an update on everything.

I've decided to go witht he Iron Addicts Simple Power Based routine. Because, if you guys said as long as I progress with my lifts and eat then i'll grow with any program. And, this program is 3 days a week instead of an upper/lower split which is 4, so if im going to get the same results (and size is my goal) then may as well have one less day in the gym!

My main goal will be progression, and eating. My only question is, once I milk the shit out of this program, as far as a long term plan what would I do next routine wise?

Last edited by gethuge69; 09-10-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #46
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gethuge69 View Post
Hey guys: Just wanted to give you an update on everything.

I've decided to go witht he Iron Addicts Simple Power Based routine. Because, if you guys said as long as I progress with my lifts and eat then i'll grow with any program. And, this program is 3 days a week instead of an upper/lower split which is 4, so if im going to get the same results (and size is my goal) then may as well have one less day in the gym!

My main goal will be progression, and eating. My only question is, once I milk the shit out of this program, as far as a long term plan what would I do next routine wise?
That's hard to say GH. That could be a year down the road. If your goals are muscle building I would probably simply evolve what you're currently doing, or perhaps add some form of small periodization to stave off body wear and tear.

I hope you will consider logging your training. Would like to follow your progress.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #47
gethuge69
Brawn

Thanks bro. So, what if I took the routine and added a thing or two like say a year down the road? Like:

Monday
Squat or box squat 2 x 5
Glute/Ham Raises or pullthroughs 3 x 10
Bent Row or Chest Supported row 4 x 6
Chin up 2xFailure
Barbell or Dumbbell Curl 3 x 8
Calf Raises 3 x 15

Wednesday
Bench Press or low board press 3 x 5, or 3 x 3
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 8
Military or Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3 x 8
Side Raises 3x8
Skull Crushers 3 x 10
Ab work 3 x 10

Friday
Deadlift or rack deadlift 2 x 5
Leg press 2 x 10
Chin or lat pull-down 4 x 6
DB Rows 3x10
Shrugs 3x10
Calf Raises 3 x 15

Monday
Incline bench press or Incline Dumbbell Press 3 x 5, or 3 x 3
Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 8
Side Raises 3x8
Tricep pushdowns 3 x 10
Ab work 3 x 10 Monday

Wednesday
Squat or box squat 2 x 5
Glute/Ham Raises or pullthroughs 3 x 10
Bent Row or Chest Supported row 4 x 6
Chin Up 3x Failure
Hammer Curls 3x12
Calf Raises 3 x 15

Friday
Bench Press or low board press 3 x 5, or 3 x 3
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 8
Skull Crushers 3 x 10
Ab work 3 x 10

Revisions in bold..
Old 09-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #48
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 34
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Snatch
Fav Supp: Elk
Wlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good posts

@gethuge69 - 2x BW deadlift , 1.5 x BW squat, 1 x BW bench press and overhead press are "Base strength" numbers.
Reaching those goals is where your training actually begins. After that is where you begin to move the kind of weight that makes a difference.

K.I.S.S. - Big weight + big appetite = big gains.

"There's no such thing as shaping and toning. Only stronger and weaker." -Mark Rippetoe
Wlfdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #49
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gethuge69 View Post
Thanks bro. So, what if I took the routine and added a thing or two like say a year down the road? Like:
Sure, that might work well. As you build strength and muscle you will learn a lot about what your body can handle volume-wise, and weaknesses will get exposed. Over time allow yourself to make small tweaks or changes to your program based on specific needs.

Some exercises you might find that you like slightly higher rep ranges. Some exercises might bother your shoulders, so you might seek out a suitable swap.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #50
gethuge69
Brawn

Thanks guys. So i'll run this routine and then add things in like the above routine and tweak from there based on my needs, i got it.!!

i appreciate it!! --