Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Power clean, box front squat and press. (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7217)

BendtheBar 08-31-2011 06:35 PM

Power clean, box front squat and press.

Really like the power clean and press, but can't do it in my basement during Winter. So I am going to try a power clean to front box squat to press. This might surpass donkey squats as the most bizarre exercise I've used.

jwood 08-31-2011 06:48 PM

That does sound interesting, kind of a complex in itself. I think that is a very good idea though, I may have to try that also.

BendtheBar 08-31-2011 06:50 PM

If I survive I will post a video. Probably will have to stick with 135 for a while.

Pull14 08-31-2011 07:00 PM

The clean and press is an awesome duo. True test of strength if you were limited to 1 movement. It does suck that the ceiling is to low. But this would be interesting to see. Another movement you may be interested in is the Sott press. Its a BTN press done while squatting. Would also add a half rep press to get the bar to the back when done from the clean.

BendtheBar 08-31-2011 09:59 PM

Good suggestion.

I've played around with the Scott press a bit but am still working out balance issues. I am hoping that with a loss of some bulk my flexibility will improve as well as my balance.

BigJosh 08-31-2011 10:04 PM

Sounds Dan John-ish.

BendtheBar 08-31-2011 10:05 PM

Training for the 2030 senior Olympics :)

Soldier 09-01-2011 11:20 AM

lol.

Sounds cool. You could also switch up the numbers of each thing. Maybe power clean, 5 box squats, one press, clean, 4 squats, one press, so on and so forth until you're down to one squat.

I bet that'll get your heart rate up! (or is that too crossfit-ish? :tomato:lol)

Abaddon 09-01-2011 11:45 AM

IMO
It actually sounds like a perfectly practical remedy to your ceiling problem - but if you want to build that base for the press - esp when using heavy weight, you might want to do this instead:

Rather than using a box to perform a stunted version of the whole exercise, split it up.

For the presses, take a seated position, ideally in the rack using the guards (like in a Savickas press, but from just above the knee) and clean (or is it jerk?) to the shoulders, then into the press. Use the lack of lower body momentum to build form and core strength.

For the power cleans, perform the conventional way: clean to the shoulders and repeat.

When and how you incorporate these movements is at your discretion of course, but I reckon doing it this way may be a good idea.

Hazzard 09-01-2011 11:53 AM

That sounds kinda like a barbell complex I read about a while ago where I think you clean, front squat, overhead and catch it on your back, back squat, overhead to the front and then to the floor. Think it was called the Beast or something like that. Shall investigate...