Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #1
Violent Volume
Brawn
Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Tournaments Won: 1

Violent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good posts
Default Full body workout structure question

Curious how you would structure a full body workout system for a novice who wants to build muscle. I know you aren't gonna focus on bodyparts. How do you choose main lifts and accessory work?
Violent Volume is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I am more of a fan of doing shorter workouts, so my basic structure looks like this:

Day 1:
Squat
Bench or Dips
Some type of Row
A few accessory lifts

Day 2:
Deadlift
Shoulder Press
Chin-ups or Pull-ups
A few accessory lifts.

So it's basically a lower, a push, and a pull, plus a few extras to round it out and create balance.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 34
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Snatch
Fav Supp: Elk
Wlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good posts

Dan John's 5 Basic Human Movements is a good place to start.
Push, Pull, Squat, Hinge and Loaded Carry.

I like simplicity.
Have to squat!
Have to deadlift.
Rowing is good.
Push ups and Chins are a necessity.
Bench Press is good, though I'm not a fan.
No shortage of ways to carry weight

I would add to it an acceleration based movement, ie. Clean, Sandbag Shouldering, Snatch, Jump Squats, etc....

Sets & Reps schemes are numerous. No need to re-invent the wheel, with any of it really.

"There's no such thing as shaping and toning. Only stronger and weaker." -Mark Rippetoe
Wlfdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:27 PM   #4
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Here's the structure i've based my workouts around the past couple of years.

Benching exercises: Bench, CGBP, Incline, Incline CGBP, Dips, Flyes

Pulling exercise: Chins, PullUps, Rows BB/DB, Shrugs

Overhead exercises: Presses seated/standing with BB/DB, Laterals, Upright Rows

Squatting exercises: Squatz High Bar/Low Bar, Leg Press, Leg Extensions

Deadlifting exercises: Deadlifts, RDLs, SLDLs, GMs, Hypers, Leg Curlz

Accessories: Curlz, Abs, Extensions, Calf Raises

(The list is by no means exhaustive, but it should give you an idea of what I think works)

You choose one exercise from each category. For a novice it's basically very simple, choose the bolded exercise. Later on when variety is needed (that is genuinely needed, not wanted) then exercises can be varied.

Sets/Reps: For a novice volume is required, so 3x10 is reasonable as is 5x5. Later on when a foundation has been built, a trainee can vary his sets/reps to suit his more specific goals.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote