Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Box Squat Tips (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7110)

Carl1174 08-19-2011 07:55 AM

Box Squat Tips

I will be doing Box Squats (well to a bench) and havent really done them before so i wanted some good tips for when i do them.

ie: How far back to have the bench, how heavy to start at (in relation to a normal squat), how long to pause onthe box (as I have heard everything to touch and go and basically sitting down for a second or two then coming back up).

I want to get form on all my lifts really nailed down, as (I think) ill be doing a strength based program, or powerbuilding at least, when i come back off vacation and Im goning to really push weight progression.

Any help from you guys would be great

Carl.

Abaddon 08-19-2011 07:59 AM

I'm no expert, having only done them twice now, but I reckon you shouldn't have to reduce the weight you'd normally load up - at least after a warmup set or two - and might even be able to squat a little bit more in your first session.

The time you spend seated is dependent on how long you want to hold that tension in your core before standing up again; the longer you leave it, the weaker you'll feel when you then try and stand, and there will be even more propensity to lean forward as you rise.

BendtheBar 08-19-2011 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl1174 (Post 163036)

ie: How far back to have the bench, how heavy to start at (in relation to a normal squat), how long to pause onthe box (as I have heard everything to touch and go and basically sitting down for a second or two then coming back up).

I want to get form on all my lifts really nailed down, as (I think) ill be doing a strength based program, or powerbuilding at least, when i come back off vacation and Im goning to really push weight progression.

Any help from you guys would be great

Carl.

I like to move my feet just right in front of the bench/box. Some guys move the bench all the way in but it will force a wider stance and awkward squat unless the bench is low.

Squat normally until your butt feels the box. Then sit without rounding your back, but only long enough to feel like you've placed your weight on the box.

I would start with 40% of your 1RM to get a feel for the lift and add weight each set as you feel comfortable. Initially 80% of my 1RM was tough. Now 90% is easy.

Carl1174 08-19-2011 08:15 AM

Thanks guys, this is the exact kind of stuff i was looking for.

Carl.

Aurik 08-19-2011 08:19 AM

Actually my current squat 1RM was done to a bench with a 2 second pause. The 2 second pause causes your stretch reflex to dissipate, making it harder to get out of the hole.

As others have said, when I box squat, I usually do my last few warmup sets to the box to make sure it's at the right distance and get the feel of it. It's not all that much different from squatting free, but it definitely forces you to focus more on sitting BACK when you squat.

5kgLifter 08-19-2011 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 163049)
I like to move my feet just right in front of the bench/box. Some guys move the bench all the way in but it will force a wider stance and awkward squat unless the bench is low.

Squat normally until your butt feels the box. Then sit without rounding your back, but only long enough to feel like you've placed your weight on the box.

I would start with 40% of your 1RM to get a feel for the lift and add weight each set as you feel comfortable. Initially 80% of my 1RM was tough. Now 90% is easy.

Some make use of the box with one of the corners facing forwards which means it won't interfere with a narrower squat stance.

Off Road 08-19-2011 09:26 AM

Start with a box height that allows you to maintain your form, then work into lower boxes as you progress. Also, Stick your ass out :)

BendtheBar 08-19-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 163084)
Some make use of the box with one of the corners facing forwards which means it won't interfere with a narrower squat stance.

I use a box.

:mh:

Carl1174 08-22-2011 07:34 AM

Did these to a banch this morning for the first time and they were too easy. I think cos I am such a short a$$ the bench means I get to parallel just, maybee even a tad higher so I worked up to 135kg x 8 and it wasnt a struggle at all (normal squats are 150kg x 3 BP)... I now dont know what to do, the aerobic steps are only about 12 inches off the floor which i could use but thats completely ATG for me, or I could stand on some plates and use the bench, putting the bench just below parallel, but then Im stepping on and off plates with a lot of weight on my back :eek:... any other thoughts anyone ??

Carl.

LtL 08-22-2011 07:39 AM

Use aerobic steps but build them up a bit with more risers. That's what I did at my old gym.

LtL