Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   What is the difference between bodybuilding and strength workouts (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7057)

ike_russett 08-14-2011 09:20 AM

What is the difference between bodybuilding and strength workouts

The title says it all. What is the difference between bodybuilding and strength workouts for someone who is just starting out. How do you train if you just want muscle and if you just want strength?

Abaddon 08-14-2011 09:23 AM

'Strength' training will always revolve around exercises which provide functional strength.
Bodybuilding training will focus on building mass in each and every area of your body.

Off Road 08-14-2011 09:38 AM

For a beginner, there is no difference.

Spend a couple of years being progressive on a good beginner routine that focusses on a handful of basic compound lifts. After you've made some progress it will be clear if you were meant to be a bodybuilder, powerlifter, or just a general physical enthusiast. You can then tailor your training to your specific goals.

BendtheBar 08-14-2011 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road (Post 161497)

You beat to to it. :mh:

Fazc 08-14-2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Boom.

ike_russett 08-14-2011 10:33 AM

I posted this on another forum and everyone was telling me its different. I was a little confused. A few told me to focus on pump and that strength wasnt important.

Off Road 08-14-2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ike_russett (Post 161511)
I posted this on another forum and everyone was telling me its different. I was a little confused. A few told me to focus on pump and that strength wasnt important.

That kind of stuff becomes more important as you become advanced. For right now just focus on strength progression. In the begining... a stronger muscle and a well fed muscle is a bigger muscle.

I posted an article the other day that likened a beginner doing an advanced bodybuilder routine as a 16 year old kid doing open heart surgery. The kid needs to finish school first and get some experience.

Rich Knapp 08-14-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abaddon (Post 161492)
'Strength' training will always revolve around exercises which provide functional strength.
Bodybuilding training will focus on building mass in each and every area of your body.

Quote:

Spend a couple of years being progressive on a good beginner routine that focusses on a handful of basic compound lifts. After you've made some progress it will be clear if you were meant to be a bodybuilder, powerlifter, or just a general physical enthusiast. You can then tailor your training to your specific goals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 161509)
You beat to to it. :mh:

All true. Add: Bodybuilders build for symmetry also.

Bodybuilders need a good base so in there begining years they lift like a Power Lifter to get the base before advancing and tweeking there symmetry.

Fazc 08-14-2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ike_russett (Post 161511)

You gotta bear in mind that most people have a general idea of what works for them, but absolutely no idea how to adapt that when giving advice to others that may be in different situation.

I'm not saying that to be controversial but it's true. Most people would agree that a beginner needs different training to an advanced trainee yet most don't stop to make the connection before they start to ramble.

The purpose as a beginner is to build a foundation, which includes mastery of form on the big exercises, a decent work capacity and a decent level of bulk your first 10-15lbs if you want to get specific. Once that is done then you can branch out to the various specilities.

Not trying to be all self-important here, but understanding this point will help you in sifting through the crap, the BS and the big ego's out there.

BendtheBar 08-14-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 161524)

The purpose as a beginner is to build a foundation, which includes mastery of form on the big exercises, a decent work capacity and a decent level of bulk your first 10-15lbs if you want to get specific. Once that is done then you can branch out to the various specilities.

I agree with this completely.

You have to learn your body under the demands that come from basic exercises and progression.

Once you have spent a couple years with the fundamentals and know your body much better, you can branch out. Then if you want to play around with pumps, TUT or lower rep sets for powerlifting, have at it.

You can't work weaknesses when everything is a weakness. Bodybuilding and powerlifting is pretty much the same thing during the first few years. You need to build strength, muscle, learn form, learn your body, and learn how to eat.

Both should stick around 5-12 reps for most sets and keep things simple.