Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Help with progress (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7052)

ike_russett 08-13-2011 09:38 AM

Help with progress

What's the best way to progress in weight? I haven't been focusing on this and need to.

Carl1174 08-13-2011 09:42 AM

I dont think there is a 'best' way as it is dependant upon the type of routine that you are doing. Post up your routine and we can have a look and perhaps give you some good ideas for weight progression

Carl.

ike_russett 08-13-2011 09:48 AM

I am training 3 days each week using what is called a push/pull/legs/.

Carl1174 08-13-2011 09:52 AM

what types of sets/reps are you using ?

Carl.

ike_russett 08-13-2011 10:10 AM

I just started but most exercises are 3 sets for 5-10 reps range.

Bench press
dips
military press
close grip bench press

Deadlift
barbell rows
pullups
bicep curls

Squats
leg press
leg curls
calves

Abaddon 08-13-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ike_russett (Post 161312)

Bench press
dips
military press
close grip bench press

Deadlift
barbell rows
pullups
bicep curls

Squats
leg press
leg curls
calves

That looks like a solid beginners 3-dayer.

If you want to progress, you must first make sure you're tracking every day's workout. Keep a log, and review what you did last time you performed that particular workout. Then make sure you either increase the weight or increase the reps on every exercise.

Is that what you are referring to?

Mr.Silverback 08-13-2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ike_russett (Post 161312)

Bench press
dips
military press
close grip bench press

Deadlift
barbell rows
pullups
bicep curls

Squats
leg press
leg curls
calves

This is very solid for a beginner, now here is just a suggestion. Since you are doing 3 sets of 5-10 lets look at the rep ranges. In theory it is always said that 1-5 range (maximal strength) 6-12 (power/size) 15+ (muscle endurance), that is true to a point, however as you grow you will find that a combination of these ranges will inspire growth (size and strength wise). My suggestion would be to look at your big three (bench, squat, dead) work in the 1-5 range, and use your auxiliary lifts in the 6-12 and 15+ range as this will inspire growth and tolerance to longer work periods. Overall you headed in the right direction my friend! Keep it up

Off Road 08-13-2011 11:46 PM

Linear progression with cycles seems to work very well for a lot of beginners, but it's hard to convince them to start light and build up slowly, they all want to jump right into failure training and test their strength. I can explain cycles further if you are interested.

If that type of progression doesn't apeal to you, then I would recommend double progression. Stay with the same weight until you get all your three sets of 10 reps, then raise the weight and stick with it until you get all three sets of 10 reps again. Then add more weight again...you get the idea.

Fazc 08-14-2011 02:54 AM

Paralysis by analysis?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ike_russett (Post 161293)
What's the best way to progress in weight?

Add some weight to the bar.

Off Road 08-14-2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 161444)
Add some weight to the bar.

I agree, but it's always good to have a goal and a plan to get there.