Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
1 reason kids like splits is that they are chasing the soreness.
Well you're also not a novice either. One thing I never do is tell an advanced intermediate how to train.

I made most of my gains on splits. I also wasted a lot of time on junk exercises. Arms days gave me brutal tendinitis. When I stopped training arms like Arnold my tendinitis went away in virtually no time.

A big (and ignored) part of training is fun. Once you get to the advanced intermediate stage and are a recreational lifter, heck, do a 6 day double split if you like. My main counsel is always to the novices who can't make any gains at all.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 08-10-2011 at 12:31 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #12
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Beginners are ignorant, ignorance leads to the internet, the internet leads to forums, forums lead to questions, questions lead to brah's, brah's lead to splits, splits lead to Weider, Weider leads to evil, evil leads to the darkside of the force.

glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #13
ike_russett
New Brawn
Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

ike_russett is off to a bad start

What would be a good 3 or 4 day split for a beginner?
ike_russett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #14
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19

Training Exp: 34
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Snatch
Fav Supp: Elk
Wlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike_russett View Post
3 day - take your pick
Beginner Workouts - Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding, Powerlifting and Muscle Building.
Full Body Workouts - Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding, Powerlifting and Muscle Building.

I have a favorite 4 day routine
Mon - Squat & Overhead press @ 60% of 1RM x 9 x 3

Tues - Clean Grip Deadlift & Bench Press @ 60% of 1RM x 9 x 3

Thurs - Squat & Overhead Press - Work up to 1 rep max
Fri - CG Deadlift & Floor Press - Work to 1 rep max

"There's no such thing as shaping and toning. Only stronger and weaker." -Mark Rippetoe

Last edited by Wlfdg; 08-10-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Wlfdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #15
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:

My answer to that question is this.

If you have to ask what would be a good split, then you're not ready to use one. You should have enough of an understanding of proper programming to be able to put together a solid basic split workout before using one.

OR,

If you're not a competitive bodybuilder why train like one?
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #16
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
No-one here has said a 3-4 day split would be preferable for a beginner.

Perhaps read the thread?
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #17
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

One thing I found, that I dont think was mentioned, is most split routines have a lot of isolation movements, and inherently isolation movements have very light weights when compared to squats, deadlifts, ect.

So maybe a novice will have to do DB Lat Raise with maybe 15lb DB's, maybe he can get 10 reps. He thinks okay its time to progress. The next size up is 20lb, so he grabs the 20lb and gives it a go, he find it much much heavier than the 15llb ones, maybe said lifter can only hit 4 decent reps, and from not knowing he might use bad form for the rest of them, and it gets worse as he goes along. My point is, adding 5lbs to a 15lb weight is a 30% increase in weight, which is a very large jump, you cant gain 30% more strength in a few weeks. Where as adding 5lbs to even a 90lb squat is 5.5% increase in weight, which for a novice eating and training well can happen over a couple of days.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training – and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:08 AM   #18
M Honeycutt
M Honeycutt
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,942, Level: 26 Points: 1,942, Level: 26 Points: 1,942, Level: 26

Training Exp: 12
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: ???
M Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good posts

Personally i find 4 days a week perfect for me and my training partners. wednesdays i take off and sat and sun.
monday- chest, tris, lats, abs
tues- rear delt, bicep,abs
thursday- leg day/lowerback, squat or deadlift movements
friday- light chest with some shoulder work and maybe some light triceps stuff abs

Jbyrd and I both use this method and he is 3rd in the nation in weight class of 308 and i am 22 or 23 in my weight class which is 198. So i would say the results are pretty decent.

For novice lifter keep the 3 compound movements in your plan bench squat deadlift and you will se results. You still need acessory work but just be sure to do the main 3. They are the ultimate mass builders. And yes SQUATING IS THE ULTIMATE MASS BUILDER PERIOD!!!

SPONSORED BY
SERVPRO® of Carteret & East Onslow Counties
M Honeycutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:10 AM   #19
M Honeycutt
M Honeycutt
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,942, Level: 26 Points: 1,942, Level: 26 Points: 1,942, Level: 26

Training Exp: 12
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: ???
M Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good posts

Also dont get stuck on how much you can do!! Get the technique right 1st and the weight will come. Rome wasnt built in a day.

SPONSORED BY
SERVPRO® of Carteret & East Onslow Counties
M Honeycutt is offline   Reply With Quote