Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   10x10? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700)

jwood 09-15-2009 08:45 PM

10x10?

Do you guys have any experience with GVT? I was thinking that next monday I am going to do a 10x10 for bench press because I have been doing speed benches for 4 weeks now, so I figure I will switch it up a bit.

My question is really what percentage of my max should I use for this?

I have not done anything like this for a while but I think I am going to give it a go. Thanks.

BendtheBar 09-15-2009 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwood (Post 5198)
Do you guys have any experience with GVT? I was thinking that next monday I am going to do a 10x10 for bench press because I have been doing speed benches for 4 weeks now, so I figure I will switch it up a bit.

My question is really what percentage of my max should I use for this?

I have not done anything like this for a while but I think I am going to give it a go. Thanks.

I've run GVT before. 50-60% 1RM is a good starting point for weight. Be prepared for extreme soreness. I've never been so sore in my life. My GVT squat session left me so brutally sore that I couldn't even workout the following week.

Here's my GVT write-up:

German Volume Training | Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding and Powerlifting.

jwood 09-15-2009 09:42 PM

Thank you, and very nice write up, I think I am going to give it a try on monday. My body does pretty well with soreness and if I have to I can push my ME day on thursday to friday without much harm.

Should be interesting I will keep you posted.

BendtheBar 09-15-2009 09:43 PM

Let me know how it turns out.

bwys61 09-15-2009 10:49 PM

I would hover around 60%. Try not to lessen it, but add if it is too easy

BendtheBar 09-16-2009 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwys61 (Post 5211)
I would hover around 60%. Try not to lessen it, but add if it is too easy

The reason I recommend below 60% on some exercises is because I simply can't perform 10x10 with 60%.

For example, on seated overhead shoulder presses, by the 3rd set with 60% I can barely do 5 reps. By the 6th set I am struggling for 2 reps.

I've experimented with GVT, Gironda's 8x8, and Hyper Mass training (which is a GVT derivative), and there are certain exercises where 10x10, 8x8, etc., are impossible for me at 60%. In fact, I've found that for some exercises, I can't even do 10x10 at 40%.

That, IMHO, is the fundamental flaw with the volume training - rest-paused combination.

With that said, my training style is volume and rest-pause. I created it because of the flaws with GVT and Hyper Mass. With my volume approach, I am performing reps at 70-75%+, diminishing the reps as the number of sets progress, and expanding rest-pause periods.

If I remember correctly, I couldn't perform a bench press 10x10 at 60% with 45-60 second rest-pause between sets. Not saying you guys can't, but I sure couldn't. I do know this though...as my body adapts to rest-pause training, my strength endurance gets better deeper into set volume. So over time I could see someone doing 60% of their initial 1RM. But that might not be 60% of their current 1RM.

AthleteCreator 09-16-2009 10:45 AM

I've never ever in my life lifted for the purpose of hypertrophy (which is why I'm still "small"), but I decided to give it a go this past spring. My choice of gaining some mass? GVT.

Here's my "before" post:

Athlete Creator The Jeremy Witt Experience

Here's my "after" post (with results):

Athlete Creator The Jeremy Witt Experience: Results Show

BendtheBar 09-16-2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AthleteCreator (Post 5231)
I've never ever in my life lifted for the purpose of hypertrophy (which is why I'm still "small"), but I decided to give it a go this past spring. My choice of gaining some mass? GVT.

Here's my "before" post:

I read you're post. Good read. Did you experience a noticeable improvement in strength in the later sets as the weeks progressed?

BTW, welcome to the forum.

AthleteCreator 09-16-2009 11:25 AM

Yeah. I touched on it, but didn't really point it out in the post, but here are my starting and ending weights:

Bench - 145 --> 175
Squat - 185 --> 215
Deads - 165 --> 185

And, also as stated, I hadn't benched anything over 175 in 8 weeks. However, I decided to max out on the 9th week and still put up 265 easily and without a spotter. My previous PR was 270.

I plan on doing another 8 week cycle (maybe more than once) this winter again since it worked so well for me.

jwood 09-16-2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AthleteCreator (Post 5231)

Here's my "before" post:

Did you notice any differences to athletic ability? Speed and power differences, positives or negatives?