Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #21
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts
Default Update on what is and isn't working

"thanks everyone for the advice for me especially in regard to diet. I have been dominating sweet potato and much more red meat this week and I had a great session yesterday. As suggested I have stopped eating so clean but its kinda hard, shit food makes me feel shit!

Seeing how passionate everyone is about the deadlift I may have to reconsider lol"

I think it was Babs who tipped the scales on this one, so to speak But there has been a problem with his adopting this new diet:
"If [you] donít mind answering: what do [you] class as sort of options that are not as clean? I just had nandos and feel like absolute shit, I cant remember the last time I ate chips, [but this time] it did not go well."
Any suggestions?

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #22
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
"If [you] donít mind answering: what do [you] class as sort of options that are not as clean? I just had nandos and feel like absolute shit, I cant remember the last time I ate chips, [but this time] it did not go well."
Any suggestions?
Clean food to me equals beef, butter and cheese. I guess he'll have to give us some hints as to what foods he has been eating.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #23
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

You don't have to eat shit food, in fact why would he think he needs to?

Contrary to popular belief eating plenty of vegetables can stimulate your appetite. Small snacks of milk and nuts between meals helps too.

Get him to stuff his face with 3 square a day and in between snack on milk and peanuts. If he's fussy on that stuff then mix in milk powder with skimmed milk, flavour it and chug it down. He can mix in fruit if it makes him drink it.

Raw nuts, milk, meats, fruits, vegetables and butter should be staples in his diet. If we're advising him to eat at the dunkin' donuts we are giving the wrong advices.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:57 AM   #24
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
"thanks everyone for the advice for me especially in regard to diet. I have been dominating sweet potato and much more red meat this week and I had a great session yesterday. As suggested I have stopped eating so clean but its kinda hard, shit food makes me feel shit!

Seeing how passionate everyone is about the deadlift I may have to reconsider lol"

I think it was Babs who tipped the scales on this one, so to speak But there has been a problem with his adopting this new diet:
Any suggestions?
Abs, this is clearly a time where you can be a bully.

Rewrite his diet per my earlier suggestions and tell him to just be quiet and keep his mouth full of food.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #25
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn

Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts
Default Ken Sees the Light

My letter to Ken
"I'm keen to help you in any way I can, but you ARE going to have to budge on the routine thing mate. I can find an ideal FB program. It's up to you to convince your mates to change also, or tough it out by yourself.

Things like explosive and olympic compound movements (power shrugs, cleans and presses) and heavier squat work is how you're going to build the last 10-15 pounds. Isolation, body part routines were designed for steroid users; they are not suited to you. That fact that you've been doing them this whole time just proves you and I were both doing it wrong lol!

I could have built my first year of mass faster with a fullbody routine, I'm certain of it. The impact it has on your CNS is much more than bodypart splits can ever achieve."

Ken's reply
"Yeah unfortunately deep down I know your right and something is going to have to change! I will start researching full body [routines]."

SO... this is where MAB comes in. Anyone recommend a full body routine best suited to Ken, taking into account all the info provided?

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Old 08-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #26
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn

MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Well, that's a start. He either wants 15 more pounds or he doesn't. If he does, he's gotta work hard and do whatever he needs to do to get it--if he wants it badly enough.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #27
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Here's my recommendation, i'm not going to give him a complete beginner routine because he's further along than that:

Monday - 3x5

Overhead Press
Squat
Wide Grip Pull Ups
Bench Press
Romanian Deadlifts (from the top, heavy)
Curlz

Wed - 3x15 (limit rest periods)

Seated DB. Press
Leg Extensions
Leg Curlz
DB. Bench Press
DB. Rows
Incline DB. Curlz

Fri - 3x10

High Incline Press
Front Squat or Pause Squat
Close Grip Chins
Close Grip Bench Press
Stiff Leg Deadlifts (from the floor)
Curlz

Slightly more variation than a standard beginner routine, the routine may look a little cluttered but the basic 5 exercises and their viable variations are there in each session.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:15 PM   #28
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Here's my recommendation, i'm not going to give him a complete beginner routine because he's further along than that:

Monday - 3x5

Overhead Press
Squat
Wide Grip Pull Ups
Bench Press
Romanian Deadlifts (from the top, heavy)
Curlz

Wed - 3x15 (limit rest periods)

Seated DB. Press
Leg Extensions
Leg Curlz
DB. Bench Press
DB. Rows
Incline DB. Curlz

Fri - 3x10

High Incline Press
Front Squat or Pause Squat
Close Grip Chins
Close Grip Bench Press
Stiff Leg Deadlifts (from the floor)
Curlz

Slightly more variation than a standard beginner routine, the routine may look a little cluttered but the basic 5 exercises and their viable variations are there in each session.
Thanks Fazc.

I have this inkling, however, that Ken would like a full body routine with a well-established base and probably a catchy name; eg the Steve Reeves Classic, or the Golden Seven, etc etc.

We could always name yours something cool or find a template just like it but from a well known builder...

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Old 08-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #29
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Call it the Barbarian Brutality Workout Of Intense Devastation And Fruitful Ab-U-Lation..

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:16 AM   #30
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
Thanks Fazc.

I have this inkling, however, that Ken would like a full body routine with a well-established base and probably a catchy name; eg the Steve Reeves Classic, or the Golden Seven, etc etc.

We could always name yours something cool or find a template just like it but from a well known builder...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Call it the Barbarian Brutality Workout Of Intense Devastation And Fruitful Ab-U-Lation..
^^This. Or tell him that people who do this routine are big and strong. Either he wants to be big and strong of he wants to stay small and be weak. He needs to sit in a room, stare into a full body mirror, argue with himself and decide.