Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:30 AM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspers04 View Post
True, I wasnt trying to be an ass. I feel that th bench alone is far superior.
Personally Gasp, I like doing benches. So I do them. I mean heck, that's really what it's about anyway. I know front squats are uber but I hate doing them so I don't. (Very often)

I did a lot of dips in my youth, and still try to do them occasionally now, but I know where you're coming from on bench. I like the Bench. I started at 95 pounds in college and it is a very satisfying movement for me.

Like I said, as long as it's a compound or bodyweight lift, I'm pretty much a fan.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 07-31-2011 at 10:34 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2011, 10:33 AM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I prefer dips to bench myself, although both are excellent lifts. Obviously if powerlifting is your goal you'd want to stick to the bench press primarily. Ultimately [no matter the goal] you'd use both lifts, but I don't see any problem with alternating them like you are doing.

Here's a quote from Dr. Ken..

"Contrary to popular belief the bench press is not a very good exercise for the development of the pectoral muscles. It is fairly good for the development of the anterior deltoid and triceps, but the standing press develops these muscles as well or better (better being defined as more quickly, more directly, with the production of more power or work during an actual repetition of the exercise), as does the parallel bar dip. However, if you care to do bench presses or presses behind the neck in a standing position, feel free to do so. Perhaps you can alternate pressing movements every few weeks, every few workouts, every other workout. You will never suffer from lack of variety." - Dr. Ken Leistner
Interesting quote. I can definitely feel my pecs rippling and screaming during dips. I do get soreness from bench days, but with that said, after 25 years of benching my front delts are massive - I think they have responded more to benching than pecs.

Turns the idea that incline benches are the best pec movement for bodybuilding on its ear a bit, but that's a topic for another thread.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 07-31-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:40 AM   #13
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Personally, I like doing benches. So I do them. I mean heck, that's really what it's about anyway.
BINGO. Well said.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:45 AM   #14
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

I give...

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:22 PM   #15
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspers04 View Post
I give...
Hey I'm on your side

I mean I'm on both sides.

Dips are harder on my shoulders at my age and weight.

Heck, I don't even think much about bodyparts when programming. Most of our advice here is for beginners anyway. Once you're an intermediate you know what's best for you. None of us would try to tell anyone different.

I think for novices using both dips & bench has a lot of value. Once they become intermediates they have made a lot of gains and I don't care what they use because they know how to gain.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 07-31-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:01 PM   #16
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

I can make valid arguements to both sides of the question of bench or no bench. It does not have to be an us versus them situation.

I'm having this debate with myself right now, as I write some new programs. After going back and digging through lots of old training information, and looking at various aspects of training, including gymnastics, powerlifting, and bodybuilding, I've come to a basic answer.

The bench is a great compound movement that is not fully understood by most people.

The bench is primarily thought of as a chest movement, and while it does work the chest, it is at it's base a deltoid pressing move. Horizontal or vertical makes far less of a differance than most people would imagine. Each plane of movement does have a greater central area of stress, but, pectoral devlopment with horizonal pressing is more a matter of individual genetics.

I do think that vertical pressing should be mastered before moving into heavy horizontal pressing. Most peoples bench form is not good. Vertical pressing is a simpler form to work, and time spent in this plane of movement will build in good shoulder stability and strength, as a base to good bench numbers. Crawl before you walk, walk before you run.

For myself I find that I'm really torn between the two moves. I've built up some decent bench strength in the past, not earth shattering, but decent. I'm built in such a way that I'm pretty strong with my bench. vertical pressing is a bit more work for me, so thats where I'm concentrating my efforts right now.

Working vertical pressing and dips has not in the past hindered my bench strength. In fact I've gotten quite strong at benching without actually doing any.

There are several aspects of lifting that will determine whether benching in your program is the right move for your goals.

Powerlifter, yes, benching is a staple lift, and vertical pressing is an assistance lift.

Olympic lifting, benching is not a large part of the program, and can actually hinder performance. Some bench traiing is done by a few, but it is by and large not any large part of the program. This is due to the tightness that benching brings to the anterior dlets.

Vertical pressing and shoulder flexability are a big part of olympic lifting.

For the average gym junkie, I would suggest a much more balanced approach than is currently the norm. Bench work is given a major role, when both vertical and horizontal pressing should be given equal work.

Pressing, dipping, benching, and upper body pulling should be worked in measured amounts to each other to achieve a strong balanced upperbody.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:21 PM   #17
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I think perhaps we should address this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abett07 View Post
after spending the last 2 months on an A/B full body workout from this site with great results
Firstly the routine is going well, why are we even entertaining the idea of changing it.

This post was made a couple of months ago in which both Benches and Dips were chosen by OP and included in a sensible routine.

Secondly either the routine wasn't stuck to, or things were changed around.

Consistency is something worth mentioning here. In reality it doesn't matter ever so much whether he does Bench or Dips, what matters is the consistency to stick it out over the long haul until big and strong.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:45 PM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post

Firstly the routine is going well, why are we even entertaining the idea of changing it.

Thanks for bringing this up. These are the important questions.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:31 AM   #19
abett07
Brawn
Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post

This post was made a couple of months ago in which both Benches and Dips were chosen by OP and included in a sensible routine.

Consistency is something worth mentioning here. In reality it doesn't matter ever so much whether he does Bench or Dips, what matters is the consistency to stick it out over the long haul until big and strong.
fair points

the reason for the change was to try and gain as much strength as possible in the shortest amount of time.My current workout builds strength to no question about it but just take a look at all the starting strength routines , all of them use reps of 5 and have lots more squatting than deadlifitng
abett07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:40 AM   #20
abett07
Brawn
Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts

I suppose if something isnt broken dont fix it .I will sitck with my A/B fullbody workout .I could not of been more happy with the results I have gained so far .

thanks for feedback
abett07 is offline   Reply With Quote