Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #1
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!
Default Pressing Form

So I'm a little confused on pressing form for overhead press.

The videos I've looked at show the start position for a push press as the top of the clean position with elbows pointing forward.

Military press seems to have the elbows pointing down and arms out to the side a little, not flared, but against the sides and further down.

Is this correct? Messed up my shoulder today with push press, and clearly my form was incorrect - elbows pointing down and arms in front of my body, but I want to be sure I get it right next time.
bruteforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

With the push press you want to keep the elbows in a natural position of leverage, and not overthink things...meaning not forced in or out. I have not seen push presses done with elbows forward, and wouldn't recommend them performed this way. The military press is the safe movement without an excess of leg drive or momentum.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Thanks Steve. Next week I'll try again and be sure not to let my elbows fall inward as much but not over-work the form. It seems like a pretty natural movement, it just went wrong today.

Thinking more about it, it was the lowering part that was hurting, not the raising.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

These might help:

-- Mark Rippetoe: Press Grip
-- Mark Rippetoe: Press Instruction 2
-- Mark Rippetoe: Press Instruction 3
-- Mark Rippetoe: Press Posture Question
-- Mark Rippetoe: Press Review
-- Mark Rippetoe: Press Torso Positions

Old 07-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
It seems like a pretty natural movement, it just went wrong today.

Thinking more about it, it was the lowering part that was hurting, not the raising.
It happens. Sometimes I pick up form pointers on lifts and "form lock" myself, meaning I change too much and over-compensate.

Were your eccentrics controlled, or did you just drop the weight?

Old 07-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

Eccentric was controlled, but i feel like i let the bar come down too far on my chest for one of the reps and then things went downhill from there. I try to place the bar on the collar bones are close to it and it came a few inches past.

great stuff on the videos, those are really helpful!
Old 07-29-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
Eccentric was controlled, but i feel like i let the bar come down too far on my chest for one of the reps and then things went downhill from there.
That will do it

Hope it isn't too bad hombre.

You could always try BTNs for a while if it stays tender.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

If it isnt fixed by next week, I may do those for a while. They've always been the easiest feeling on my shoulders anyway.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
strkout35
Max Brawn
Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

When I do them I try to keep my elbows barely in front of the bar when looked at from a side view. and the bottom position for me is usually my collarbone.

_________Goals:__
Squat:______275
Deadlift:_____315
Bench:______185
Press:_______135

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe"
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by strkout35 View Post
When I do them I try to keep my elbows barely in front of the bar when looked at from a side view. and the bottom position for me is usually my collarbone.
Thanks for the input. I'll try to get a video next time I do these and post it up in the critique thread.