Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Pressing Form (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6929)

bruteforce 07-29-2011 03:56 PM

Pressing Form

So I'm a little confused on pressing form for overhead press.

The videos I've looked at show the start position for a push press as the top of the clean position with elbows pointing forward.

Military press seems to have the elbows pointing down and arms out to the side a little, not flared, but against the sides and further down.

Is this correct? Messed up my shoulder today with push press, and clearly my form was incorrect - elbows pointing down and arms in front of my body, but I want to be sure I get it right next time.

BendtheBar 07-29-2011 04:26 PM

With the push press you want to keep the elbows in a natural position of leverage, and not overthink things...meaning not forced in or out. I have not seen push presses done with elbows forward, and wouldn't recommend them performed this way. The military press is the safe movement without an excess of leg drive or momentum.

bruteforce 07-29-2011 04:30 PM

Thanks Steve. Next week I'll try again and be sure not to let my elbows fall inward as much but not over-work the form. It seems like a pretty natural movement, it just went wrong today.

Thinking more about it, it was the lowering part that was hurting, not the raising.

BendtheBar 07-29-2011 04:31 PM

These might help:

-- Mark Rippetoe: Press Grip
-- Mark Rippetoe: Press Instruction 2
-- Mark Rippetoe: Press Instruction 3
-- Mark Rippetoe: Press Posture Question
-- Mark Rippetoe: Press Review
-- Mark Rippetoe: Press Torso Positions

BendtheBar 07-29-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruteforce (Post 157154)
It seems like a pretty natural movement, it just went wrong today.

Thinking more about it, it was the lowering part that was hurting, not the raising.

It happens. Sometimes I pick up form pointers on lifts and "form lock" myself, meaning I change too much and over-compensate.

Were your eccentrics controlled, or did you just drop the weight?

bruteforce 07-29-2011 04:36 PM

Eccentric was controlled, but i feel like i let the bar come down too far on my chest for one of the reps and then things went downhill from there. I try to place the bar on the collar bones are close to it and it came a few inches past.

great stuff on the videos, those are really helpful!

BendtheBar 07-29-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruteforce (Post 157159)
Eccentric was controlled, but i feel like i let the bar come down too far on my chest for one of the reps and then things went downhill from there.

That will do it :)

Hope it isn't too bad hombre.

You could always try BTNs for a while if it stays tender.

bruteforce 07-29-2011 05:08 PM

If it isnt fixed by next week, I may do those for a while. They've always been the easiest feeling on my shoulders anyway.

strkout35 07-30-2011 01:01 PM

When I do them I try to keep my elbows barely in front of the bar when looked at from a side view. and the bottom position for me is usually my collarbone.

bruteforce 07-30-2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strkout35 (Post 157317)
When I do them I try to keep my elbows barely in front of the bar when looked at from a side view. and the bottom position for me is usually my collarbone.

Thanks for the input. I'll try to get a video next time I do these and post it up in the critique thread.