Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   HIT and Steve Reeves (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6707)

Roy1787 07-05-2011 11:38 AM

HIT and Steve Reeves

If I remember right Steve Reeve's workout has only one heaviest set and the first two are lighter weight for the same reps. Isn't this a lot like HIT or Dorian Yates workout?

Off Road 07-07-2011 05:12 PM

I'm not really up on Steve Reeves, it's been a while since I've seen his suggested workouts. But from what I remember, they were one set to failure. That is pretty typical of the standard HIT model. If I remember correctly, Steve Reeves wanted you to save the biggest lifts for last, which I'm not sure I agree with.

There is a lot of variation in the HIT world; one set, two sets, to failure, not to failure, training splits, TUT, etc. My personal recommendation is to read up on Dr. Ken Leistner's stuff. It's very basic, hardcore, no-nonsense training.

BendtheBar 07-07-2011 06:45 PM

Reeves did do squats last. I have tried that myself and tend to like it, but it's a personal thing. Squats kill me and after then I don't want to do much else.

But, with that said, my conditioning is sub-par right now.

swoleramon 07-08-2011 08:05 AM

Doesn't the Steve Reeve's workout have 8-12 rep sets? I think the warmup sets aren't that easy though I suppose some HIT workouts has 2 sets per exercise.

Carl1174 07-08-2011 08:08 AM

From what i have read Reeves suggested STARTING with just one set per body part, Im not sure that he recommended only doing one set per exercise continuously...Im sure gl will jump in and clear things up though :)

Carl.

Fazc 07-08-2011 08:43 AM

I'm sure he used many routines. But he is generally listed as doing 3 sets per exercise. I've only ever seen him recommending 1 set for beginners, even that was quickly upped to 3 sets over the next 2 months.

Steve Reeves Intermediate Full Body Workout Variation - Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding, Powerlifting and Muscle Building.

glwanabe 07-08-2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 150968)
I'm sure he used many routines. But he is generally listed as doing 3 sets per exercise. I've only ever seen him recommending 1 set for beginners, even that was quickly upped to 3 sets over the next 2 months.

Steve Reeves Intermediate Full Body Workout Variation - Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding, Powerlifting and Muscle Building.

I still need to rewrite his advanced program into a program like I did the intermediate. The intermediate is still a lot of work, and would serve most peole well for more than a few years.

The intermediate is very flexible if you know what your doing, and how to move things around.

Fazc 07-08-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glwanabe (Post 150980)
I still need to rewrite his advanced program into a program like I did the intermediate. The intermediate is still a lot of work, and would serve most peole well for more than a few years.

I'd like to see that, I haven't seen very much information published on Reeves.

Also you're right, it is plenty of work for most people.

MikeC 07-08-2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy1787 (Post 150142)
If I remember right Steve Reeve's workout has only one heaviest set and the first two are lighter weight for the same reps. Isn't this a lot like HIT or Dorian Yates workout?

Well in a sense the old York workouts look more like HIT workouts than they do volume workouts or Park/Eder workouts, so I guess I can see why Reeves would appear similar to some.