Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Don't Always Trust The Biggest Guy In Your Gym

Don't Always Trust The Biggest Guy In Your Gym

We've all heard this. In fact, I saw it today on the Interwebz. It was followed by something like...the biggest guy has no science backing his training. It's all genetics.

It got me thinking about how successful lifters tend to be placed into the "genetic elite" class. It also made me think about the fact that many tend to diminish the accomplishments of a successful lifter if they don't have theories and dogma and science to back their training.

This minimizes several aspects of the success equation - persistence, progression, and probably proper nutrition. Maybe the biggest/strongest guy in the gym can teach us more than we realize...

What say you. Thoughts on this?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 06-29-2011 at 11:13 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

if someone says "dont listen to the biggest guy in the gym" it shows ignorance and possibly jealousy. i know plenty of big guys who arent genetically predisposed to being beastly...they just bust their asses. seems about the equivalent of saying a dude who is a self made millionaire doesnt know what hes doing...he just got lucky.
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

9 times out of 10 the biggest/strongest guy in the gym got that way because he never missed a workout in 15 years, and had some focus on progression. He probably like food as well, or had a structured eating plan - something than enabled him to avoid undereating.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

No one gets big overnight which suggests dedication and progression over a decent period of time. That kind of person should be listened to.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Here's what I think the problem is...

Advanced lifters, bodybuilders or powerlifters, do require more thought (and science) to be successful. Bodybuilder diets and getting shredded without losing muscle is not easy. Adding strength once you hit soft walls is not easy.

But, a certain small percentage of these advanced lifters (and of course Internet parrots) take this need to be complex and place it upon beginning and intermediate lifters who don't need it. Everything suddenly becomes rocket science. We have beginners doing speed benching and bulk and cut cycles and it turns the lifting world into one big fubared mess.

Beginners need to be taught the basics. Intermediate have worked the basics and season them with time, progression and enough food. Neither of them need E=MC squared. Unfortunately, 9 times out of 10 they are being taught E=MC squared by some e-book guy or parrot.

/End my 2 cents.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 06-29-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:35 AM   #6
embrance
Brawn
Points: 1,024, Level: 17 Points: 1,024, Level: 17 Points: 1,024, Level: 17
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

embrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality posts

I would say both true AND false.Most times,they are indeed genetic freks,that dopnt know wtf they are doing.They havent read anything usuful even though they will follow the "Weider-Empire" dogmas etc.
I was reading dfor example Cutler statement in Modern Encyclopedia of BBing saying :My chest is biggesr now that i train for more set and higher volume than that when i was trying to lift as much ewight as i could.

So he ignores(?)that the heavy weights he lifted back then,primed his CNS and motor units to respond better later on when volume became hsi main concern.
Same with Colemann when he stated he does 21's to his his biceps from diffrent angles etc,something we know from science DOESNT happen.

So,my conclusion is,lsten to the big guys,but do also your own reasearch for your own particular goals depending on what are you williling to do to achieve them.

Last edited by embrance; 06-30-2011 at 03:38 AM.
embrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:02 AM   #7
Gaz6682
All-Rounder
Max Brawn
Points: 2,447, Level: 29 Points: 2,447, Level: 29 Points: 2,447, Level: 29
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 2 Years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: USN Muscle Fuel Anabolic
Gaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributor

The biggest guy in my gym is a monster, every time I see him lift it inspires me and any time he has something to say to me I listen intently. He uses NO supplements whatsover but eats like a starved lion. I've known him since he was 18 and he was a big guy then but now he blocks out the sun and I've seen him recently clean and press his BW +20Kg for a triple. Everyone just stopped and watched. Nobody can tell me you cant learn from guys like that. Good genetics or not.

"If you want to look like some Abercrombie model, then find another program and enjoy your nice, easy training style. If you are serious about adding muscle to your frame, then get under the damn bar and make it happen"
Gaz6682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:51 AM   #8
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

I agree. The biggest guy in the gym didnt get there accidentally. I remember in one of Mark Rippetoes books, he addressed the issue of "genetic freaks". The amount of actual genetic freaks is very very small. But what I found interesting, is that these "genetic freaks" from what Mark Rippetoe has seen, dont often work to their full potential, as in they possibly lack dedication, progression and nutrition, because they have good genes, so they end up limiting themselves.

I believe the biggest and strongest guys are made through years of dedication and hard work.

I think the reason people toss around the term "genetic freak" and "hardgainer" is so they can feel better about not training hard, not eating well and lacking dedication. Its easy to say "I am skinny and weak because I have bad genes", no you are wrong, you are skinny and weak because you didnt work hard enough. Its hard to say "I'm not that big because I didnt train hard enough, I didnt eat well and was lazy, thats why I am skinny and weak".

But this attitude of laziness is seen all over the place, almost half of Australia and America is obese, people didnt just get bad genes over night, they are just being lazy.

When I started lifting I often used the hardgainer excuse for being skinny and weak. When I look back to when I started lifting, its embarrassing, I want to slap myself. But it taught me harsh lessons. Only recently when I ran starting strength did I only begin to learn about lifting.

My 0.02c

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:39 AM   #9
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

I would have to disagree with the fact that most in the gym that are big, are also genetically gifted. In my opinion, genetic freaks are pretty damn rare. The guys who are big, that you may or may not agree with their training methods, are nothing more than examples that multiple training methods work. Even following typical bro-science can get you rather built, sadly.

It just goes to show that consistency in the gym, and adequate food, are pretty much above all else.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:42 AM   #10
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Wish I could speak directly to the issue, but I AM the biggest guy in my gym and am a genetic mutant. Of course, I am the only guy in my gym. Freaks are few and far between, otherwise we would see them all the time. Most big guys work hard, eat big and don't get caught up in playing all the internet muscle games. They are focused on what they want, where they want to go and how they want to get there. They are not concerned with everyone else, just how can they get the most out of what they have. I think we all can probably learn a lot from them, just wish I had a few around here.

OBX Open August, 2014:
Squat 308 PR
Bench 176
Deadlift 402 PR
Total - 886 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote