Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:48 AM   #21
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I read a quote from a well respected HG/HIT trainer in a Hardgainer magazine a few years ago, which went along the lines of:

Quote:
"when i was young I would train with a tonne of volume, was I overtraining? definitely yes! but I still made progress"
I added the emphasis myself. To me this quote represented the madness of some people's interpretation of what can be considered overtraining as well his inability to realise that his circumstances changed as he got older and more advanced, the nature of overtraining did not change. Just because now he cannot prosper on the routine he gained on when he was younger doesn't mean that what he did when he was younger was overtraining! There is no overtraining if progress is being made.

Therein lies the rub; actual progress in strength or muscle or whatever you want to achieve should always be the marker for progression. Whatever volume or method you use to succesfully achieve that goal is not overtraining for you. That volume can and will change throughout your training life due to many factors.

My personal opinion is that the term overtraining has much more to do with a trainess interpretation of the current social/marketing trends sweeping through the training boards/magazines than actual subjective results. The latter being important, the former being generally useless.

Quote:
One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyranny.
~ Bertrand Russel.

Russel was a philosopher and not a gym-goer, but i'm sure even he would agree that as long as you're making progress in the gym you can ignore if anyone else considers what you do to be overtraining.

Last edited by Fazc; 07-02-2011 at 03:58 AM.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2011, 06:13 AM   #22
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFiveFive View Post
Overtraining is VERY HARD TO DO! Don't let people put limits on you, do what works for YOU and keep pushing!
Extremely well said!!
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #23
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 34
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Snatch
Fav Supp: Elk
Wlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good posts

Great post Fazc!

"There's no such thing as shaping and toning. Only stronger and weaker." -Mark Rippetoe
Wlfdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #24
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I did a 3 on 1 off for about 4-6 months when I was 19 and I was beat up pretty bad. With that said, some bodyparts of mine respond better to volume than others...primarily chest.

Was this overtraining? No. But my body was beat the heck up. I am not a fan of mixing volume with heavy weight for this reason. Some can take it, but I don't believe most can.

Overtraining the muscle is hard to do, but overtraining the joints, connective tissue and CNS is much easier to do. Different systems, different capabilities. Sometimes connective tissues and ligaments simply need time to strengthen, and volume probably won't speed that process up...only time and strength will.

Some of the young guys have had a tendency to proclaim to me..."I did volume and you, old man, don't have a clue..."

I do have a clue. I lived it. If someone believes volume is good for training longevity, all I can say is that I wish them well. Every 40+ lifter I talk to wishes they had performed less volume when young. And I have heard this too many times to count.

So my opinion...overtraining the muscle via volume is hard to do. But it is a slippery slope.

Lastly, I hesitate to make blanket statements. Volume to me is 30-40 sets per workout, but might mean 20 for some. Volume can be relative. Flex magazine routinely recommends workouts with 30-40 sets.
I 100% agree with this. This is were keeping logs and learning your body's capabilities and how it reacts/recovers comes in. Knowledge of OUR OWN body is the key.

People see my workouts and e-mail me they want to do my style workout. I tell them NO. Start with basics and keep logs and tweak it as you learn your body. I have kept daily logs for over 10 years and still go back and review them. My workouts aren't a "I'll do this." deal, it learn and tweak.

Last edited by Rich Knapp; 07-02-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #25
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
Knowledge of OUR OWN body is the key.
Start with basics and keep logs and tweak it as you learn your body. I have kept daily logs for over 10 years and still go back and review them. My workouts aren't a "I'll do this." deal, it learn and tweak.
The bold bit is especially important, IMO. Champions don't just keep detailed logs, they use them and learn from them.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:05 AM   #26
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

bottom line. the human body is pretty damn resilient and can adapt to almost anything...
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:32 AM   #27
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

As mentioned, the type of training makes a huge difference too. A lot of people crying OT are doing bodybuilding type workout, and never get below 8 reps a set. Their joints get tired because they haven't built up to what their doing. They understand that you have to build up to high weights, but for some reason that same logic doesn't get applied to volume.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:38 AM   #28
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

^I agree.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #29
Violent Volume
Brawn
Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Violent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good posts

Most people worry too damn much about volume when they have their heads up their asses and aren't training hard enough to make anything work.
Violent Volume is offline   Reply With Quote