Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:01 PM   #11
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 34
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Snatch
Fav Supp: Elk
Wlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanCT View Post
theres no such thing as over training, only under eating? =0 )
and under sleeping.

"There's no such thing as shaping and toning. Only stronger and weaker." -Mark Rippetoe
Wlfdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #12
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Severe overtraining is hard to come by for a "amateur" lifter, by amateur i mean a non olympical/professional athelte who makes a living out of his sport, not having to pay attention to a job or other disturbance.

The thing Ive noticed about overtraining, and I have been experimenting alot with what my body can adapt to, is that the first thing that goes is the CNS, and the first sign of that is that i get problems to fall asleep (and slightly elevated heartrate) and some mood disturbances. That is no 1 and is solved my slowing down for a number of days, eat and sleep or rest more etc. A second sign is that progress is halted and that weight drops even if im eating to gain or maintain, over a period of time, and that my joints are starting to get stiff or feel "fragile" (cant find a better word).

Than its time to back off some and recover and by that it usually fixes itself in a week or two.

Got a bit off topic here but I would like to share my experience on this, since I did some experimenting on the subject.

If you feel that your #'s in the gym are ok and not dropping, not having any of the usual (short or longterm) O/T sympthoms (moody, decreased appetite, lack of energy, sleeping problems and so on) and are feeling GOOD about it, youre probably not overtraining.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #13
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

Overtraining has become something that everyone seems to have a different view one. BTB brought up a good point, what may be high volume to someone may be different for someone else. I know this is said over and over but everyone is different. If you look at Rich Knapps log , he is the king of volume but it works for him. If someone just looked at this workouts on paper they would quickly say he is overtraining, but look where's hes at. Then there are other that do better with a lower volume.

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #14
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Spot on D.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #15
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73

Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

Some days for me is around 16 sets other days is 20+ sets. If i feel awesome on a day I go for it, and go off my routine a bit by adding an extra set here and there, but maybe it just took me longer to warm up or get into it, i dunno.

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:46 PM   #16
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29

Soccer Tournament Champion!
Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaipa View Post
If someone just looked at this workouts on paper they would quickly say he is overtraining, but look where's hes at. Then there are other that do better with a lower volume.
That's the beauty of the beast... Everyone responds differently to different methods of training.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:58 PM   #17
espm1000
Manlet on Fire
Brawn
Points: 2,382, Level: 29 Points: 2,382, Level: 29 Points: 2,382, Level: 29
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2+
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Barbell Row
espm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good posts

I think a lot of it has to do with load as well. Someone training in a maximal strength range of 1-5 reps is going to suffer much more neural fatigue than someone who is training in the 8-12 range in search of a pump. I know that for myself personally that I am more drained physically and mentally after heavy triples and singles than I ever am after going to failure on a 10 rep set.
espm1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:19 PM   #18
Mr.Silverback
Max Brawn
Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member

my take and I'm sure it has been stated in this thread before but, it boils down to the individual in question. I know guys that respond well to tons of volume and those who respond better to low to moderate volume. Overtraining is something that gets thrown around way too much by individuals who may have never experienced it. There is much more involved that just joint pain and muscle strains, eventually the immune system shuts down from overtraining...how many guys can honestly say they have experienced that? Enough of my rambling though, it's a topic that not many have truly experienced in my opinion.
CHECK OUT MY 1ST EBOOK
http://www.stronglife610.org
Mr.Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #19
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaipa View Post
Overtraining has become something that everyone seems to have a different view one. BTB brought up a good point, what may be high volume to someone may be different for someone else. I know this is said over and over but everyone is different. If you look at Rich Knapps log , he is the king of volume but it works for him. If someone just looked at this workouts on paper they would quickly say he is overtraining, but look where's hes at. Then there are other that do better with a lower volume.
With volume and the resultant probable "overtraining", newcomers that attempt it also overlook the fact that many lifters that follow a volume style set-up have worked up to that particular volume over the course of months or years which is where they go wrong when they jump in the deep end without building up and the body responds by letting them know in no uncertain terms that they're doing too much too soon...then the "overtraining" card gets played and they normally don't try volume again, because they have proved through that one failure that it doesn't work, when what they should have done is built up gradually after realising their mistake.

And, as said already, volume is a relative term for each individual and they have to find their optimal groove; but IMO, it's the jumping in without building the foundation that is the real issue.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #20
BigFiveFive
White Mamba
Max Brawn
Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39

Training Exp: 3
Fav Exercise: Barbell Rows
Fav Supp: AMS Pump Fixx
BigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributor

This is how I see it my dude. Overtraining is definitely an excuse, with that being said, everyone is different. That guy probably told you that you were overtraining because he had tried high volume and it kick his ass, thus making it overtraining.

My dads been a carpenter for 35+ years, the man has swung a hammer with his right hand everyday for the last 12,775 days, anywhere from 1-10,000 reps a day, with 8-10 hours rest time. Now you would think this would be overtraining correct? His right forearm is bigger than my head, along with a bi/tri equal to mine.

^ Point of that, overtraining hasn't occurred in this situation, when most would AND SHOULD think that it has. Overtraining is VERY HARD TO DO! Don't let people put limits on you, do what works for YOU and keep pushing!

Get your Fixx at the Muscle and Strength store!
http://www.muscleandstrength.com/sto...e-science.html

Or our online store!
www.advancedmusclescience.com

Don't talk about it, Be about it
!

TEAM THOR!
BigFiveFive is offline   Reply With Quote