Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
CoopDawg
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor
Default Power Muscle Burn 5 Day Powerbuilding Split, question?

Okay so the past week me and the trainer have been doing a few sets of 3 to 6 reps and then 3 sets of 12 on a different exercise, and then a burn set on somethin like flys or skull crushers, dependin on which bodypart i would work, And last night i happened to be lookin at workouts at m&s and i seen this and it looks close to what i was doin, but different exercises i didnt do romanian dead, i did good morning deadlifts with just 95 pounds cause ive never done them before. Here's the question when i found this workout it said intermediate, is this to advanced for me? I dont consider myself a rank beginner but im no where close to advanced. BTB this is mostly to you since you are the creator of the workout , ill post a link to it....Power Muscle Burn 5 Day Powerbuilding Split | Muscle & Strength
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether its lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Hes slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Hi Coop,

My first question is this...is your trainer guiding you with a specific workout, or just general advice?

The above workout is challenging for me to do, but can be pulled off with a lot of food and dedication to progression. With that said, I still think you would benefit from a 3 day per week approach.

My reason for saying this is that you haven't established a solid core strength yet in the major lifts. I would like to see you at least hit 315 for reps on squat and a 405 deadlift before you even consider venturing from a 3 day per week workout.

My rule is always start simple and evolve your training based on needs. This past year you have continually be come entranced with programs and are straying from the things that work. You need persistence and progression on the basics right now.

Lastly, a good portion of us have given you workouts over the last 18 months and you've never stuck to them more than a month or two. I do not mean this as an attack, but I can't in good faith advise for you anything more than a 3 day per week fullbody.

You need to learn to gain on the basics, and to embrace the basics. Stop worrying about programs and start focusing on progression. You worry too much about rep ranges and programs and all the stuff that doesn't matter. Once you learn how to gain and have built a core strength, then it's a good time to try new things.

We've had this discussion before but you won't listen to me.

I don't care what program you do as long as you stick to it. People have tried to help you and invested a lot of time in you and you disrespect them by not following their advice, and not sticking to a program.

It's time for you to mature and admit you're doing more harm than good right now.

Pick something, anything, and commit to it for a year.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 06-27-2011 at 08:04 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

I dont know a lot of what went on with you Coop, and I am no expert, but I do have a little personal experience. I did a lot of split routines before i did a 3 day full body routine. I thought I was doing well on splits, but the reality was they were not for me and I didnt have a very good idea on progression.

My personal recommendation is run Starting Strength. That routine taught me a lot about progression, weight training, simplicity and diet. If you read enough of what was written about it, you will learn a whole lot about progression and the importance of having a good strength base.

But I agree, a good 3 day routine will be great. You also said you dont have a lot of time because of work, so 3 days a week is very manageable compared to a 4 or 5 day routine.

Just me 0.02c for whatever it is worth haha.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

yes its specific to where he is trying to get me, thanks btb and spart, so you think i should ask him about it btb, we train 5 days a week
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether its lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Hes slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

im just gonna commit for a year btb u have been commited a few months now
Old 06-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopDawg View Post
yes its specific to where he is trying to get me, thanks btb and spart, so you think i should ask him about it btb, we train 5 days a week
I take my routine choices and influences from people who have had a lot of success, which is pretty much everyone on MAB. The main themes I see are progression, food and a routine thats 2-4 days a week. I dont see a lot of people here lifting weights 5 days a week? Not saying 5 days a week wont work, its just most guys here use 2-4 days, and it seems to work very very well.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #7
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
...you haven't established a solid core strength yet in the major lifts.

This past year you have continually become entranced with programs and are straying from the things that work. You need persistence and progression on the basics right now.

Lastly, a good portion of us have given you workouts over the last 18 months and you've never stuck to them more than a month or two.

You need to learn to gain on the basics, and to embrace the basics. Stop worrying about programs and start focusing on progression.

We've had this discussion before but you won't listen to me.

I don't care what program you do as long as you stick to it. People have tried to help you and invested a lot of time in you and you disrespect them by not following their advice, and not sticking to a program.

It's time for you to mature and admit you're doing more harm than good right now.

Pick something, anything, and commit to it for a year.
^Great advice, and it bears repeating.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:39 PM   #8
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Fav Supp: Food
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopDawg View Post
You should look up some of Vince Gironda's work, he's the greatest Bodybuilding trainer there ever was, but take his anti-power and olympic lifts with a grain of salt.
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #9
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Overhead Press - 3 x 10
Squat - 3 x 10
Chins - 3 x 10
Bench Press - 3 x 10
Stiff Leg Deadlift alternated with Bent Row - 3 x 10

Done three times a week limiting the rest periods to at most 3 minutes. Progression in poundage and food intake being the focus. Adapt a H/L/M scheme on any single exercise if it's too much.

Use cardio to satisfy any need to stay lean, however realise this will retard your progression especially considering your job.

That's really all you need for a while. However I do get the feeling BtB and others have said essentially the same thing many times so this may well be wasted effort on my part.

Either way, good luck. Also I know you didn't ask for it, but I think this trainer is giving you the run-around. Just my 2 pennies worth.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote