Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
dooj
Points: 152, Level: 3 Points: 152, Level: 3 Points: 152, Level: 3
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

dooj is off to a bad start
Default Density Training

Hello All, a real quick question regarding Density training. Have any of you had results incorporating this method into your workouts. I was reading earlier and became intrigued as it based on time as opposed to a classic set/rep scheme. You pick a exercise and take a percentage of your 10 rep max and do as many sets as you can in a 15 minute time period?

I'm doing a push/pull/leg split currently and If I were to do this I would use the Denisty protocol with the compound lifts and keep standard rep/sets for accessory work. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!

Dooj
dooj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooj View Post
Hello All, a real quick question regarding Density training. Have any of you had results incorporating this method into your workouts. I was reading earlier and became intrigued as it based on time as opposed to a classic set/rep scheme. You pick a exercise and take a percentage of your 10 rep max and do as many sets as you can in a 15 minute time period?

I'm doing a push/pull/leg split currently and If I were to do this I would use the Denisty protocol with the compound lifts and keep standard rep/sets for accessory work. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!

Dooj
Hi Dooj,

I used density training strictly in 2008 and had great results. My progression was consistent and my body felt really good, and mostly injury free. This was primarily to using 5-10% lighter weight than normal.

There are many, many ways to use density training.

--You can perform cluster sets with a given rep range (2, 3, 4, 5 etc reps), and repeat this set as soon as you feel physically ready.
--You can also perform singles over a 10 to 15 minute period of time, which is a great choice for deadlifts, and sometimes heavy squat days.
--You can use bulldozer training, which is detailed below.
--You can go more free form. Pick a time period for an exercise, say 10 to 20 minutes, and just perform mini-sets every time you feel ready. This mini-sets can vary in reps depending on how you feel that given moment.

Bulldozer Weight Training System Basics, by Muscle and Brawn - Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding, Powerlifting and Muscle Building.

Bulldozer Training, Version 2.0 - Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding, Powerlifting and Muscle Building.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
dooj

Default Density Training

Steve, thanks for the information and I'll be sure to check out those links. Much appreciated!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Dooj
Old 06-26-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 34
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Snatch
Fav Supp: Elk
Wlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good posts

Hey Dooj, I'm a bit of a devoted density training fan. I've been doing mostly EDT style training for about last 3 yrs.
I like the finite sense of having a time limit for my training. I've had great success with strength development, strength endurance and body composition changes.

"There's no such thing as shaping and toning. Only stronger and weaker." -Mark Rippetoe
Wlfdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfdg View Post
Hey Dooj, I'm a bit of a devoted density training fan. I've been doing mostly EDT style training for about last 3 yrs.
I like the finite sense of having a time limit for my training. I've had great success with strength development, strength endurance and body composition changes.
If I remember correctly EDT is 2 exercises every twenty minutes?

Old 06-26-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn

Wlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
If I remember correctly EDT is 2 exercises every twenty minutes?
It's not actually that specific. PR Zones can be 10, 15, 20 or even 30 minutes long.
During the PR Zone you can do one movement, antagonistic pairs or proximal pairs. In my current routine I'm doing 3-4 antagonistic movements for a 20-30min Zone.

The most distinguishing aspect of EDT is the rep range and starting reps. For instance if you choose your 10 rep max you start the Zone with 6 reps or choose a 5 rep max and start the zone with 3 reps.

"There's no such thing as shaping and toning. Only stronger and weaker." -Mark Rippetoe
Old 06-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfdg View Post

The most distinguishing aspect of EDT is the rep range and starting reps. For instance if you choose your 10 rep max you start the Zone with 6 reps or choose a 5 rep max and start the zone with 3 reps.
Thanks for the explanation.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:26 PM   #8
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Thanks for the explanation.
ALWAYS WELCOME!

Old 06-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #9
dooj

Default Density Training

WLFDG- I have to do some more research and see how I'm going to structure this into my current routine. Appreciate the feedback and am glad you have found success with this type of training.

Steve-as you said earlier there are many options. I'm still looking at the Bulldozer links you sent. Now I'm going to figure out what the hell I'm going to do!