Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
swoleramon
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

swoleramon is new to the forumswoleramon is new to the forum
Default Muscle fiber types

Is there any reason to worry about muscle fiber types?
Old 06-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I don't. Hasn't held me back.

I come from the KISS school of lifting.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoleramon View Post
If your a competitive bber were there is more involved than brute power it can be beneficial to promote symmetry.

If you do a well planed out workout as most experience lifters do, you hit them all anyways.

Knowing them can help you set up a good workout plan in the beginning then it becomes second nature for most, and they don't even realize they are doing it. Workouts programs like West Side, FD/FR, P/RR/S to name a few, they hit them all threw steps/stages in the plan.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Unless you specifically want to understand the *why* behind a routine or rep scheme it's not neccesary no.

Personally I find it quite interesting and have a few neuromechanic/kinesiology/anatomy books on my shelf and i've had some discussions on these issues with a few people in-the-know. But rarely has it contributed much to my training. My training info comes from experience, both my own and that of other lifters. The science behind it mainly rationalises *why*. Unless you're on the cutting edge of muscle research it's highly unlikely your interpretation of someone else's text will suddenly enlighten you or anybody else to anything not already well known. So i'll leave all that to the Enoka's of this world.

For example you don't need to know why gravity works, to know that jumping off a tall building might hurt a little. You just need to know that stuff generally goes down. In the same way most who lift weights are interested in the results rather than why they obtain those results, if you see the distinction there.

Last edited by Fazc; 06-24-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

I find it interesting to knowing about it. But when people start saying stuff like "you only get myofibril hypertrophy when you lift below 5 reps so you dont get a lot of size", which is something you will hear a lot of people say, things start to go wrong and it starts to become something its not and people get confused.

The reality is, if your muscles are getting better, you get myofribril hypertrophy, sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, as well as an increase in connective tissue, glycogen stores, fat in between muscles and I think a few other things as well.

You can probably find books or studies that talk about rep ranges and where the focus of the hypertrophy is, but I it varies from person to person.

If you didnt get all of them, then you wouldnt get stronger if you lifted in the 8-12 rep range and you wouldnt get much bigger lifting in the 1-5 rep range. I think a lot of those misconceptions about rep range and size/strength increases come from overcomplicating things like this.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/bod...ibers-why.html

Explain much of what you all make points in.

What people don't realize is, we have always worked all 3 type. They just give them a fancy name now.

warm ups sets, power sets, working sets

I look at logs on here a lot and almost every person on here hit all 3 fiber types in every workout. But do they full understand why it helps, or are they just doing what they read helps and don't full understand the reasons why it helps. If my car runs better on one gas vrs another, personal I'd kind of like to know why.

There is workout systems that just brake it down to weeks at a time rather than every workout.

Everyone has a fiber dominance thats why there are so many different workout styles that have documented proof they work.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/bod...ibers-why.html

Explain much of what you all make points in.

What people don't realize is, we have always worked all 3 type. They just give them a fancy name now.

warm ups sets, power sets, working sets

I look at logs on here a lot and almost every person on here hit all 3 fiber types in every workout. But do they full understand why it helps, or are they just doing what they read helps and don't full understand the reasons why it helps. If my car runs better on one gas vrs another, personal I'd kind of like to know why.

There is workout systems that just brake it down to weeks at a time rather than every workout.

Everyone has a fiber dominance thats why there are so many different workout styles that have documented proof they work.
This is a great post, Rich. I'm going to rip it apart and make it a sig.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:39 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I know about hypertrophy types but don't care. It's not as important as progression.

Beginners and intermediates should focus on progression in reasonable rep ranges (my opinion 5-12 reps for most (not all) exercises). These rep ranges will be different based on the exercise, bodypart, etc. Beginners and intermediates should not do an excessive amount of low rep work until they know their bodies and have established some degree of proficiency (form and results).

The overriding determining factors in success are persistence, progression, proper food, and a good exercise selection and reasonable training approach. These factors will bring up strength and muscle and establish a sturdy base.

After this point, when you become a late intermediate to advanced trainee, your lifting, rep ranges, etc., will be based on YOUR body. Simply stated, if you aren't building a program around your specific needs, you are still a beginner to intermediate and should focus on the bolded aspects above.

To answer your question Swoleramon...When anything else is handed to be beginners and intermediates that is elevated about what I have stated, it is misguided. You don't, and probably never will need to ever apply or worry about hypertrophy types. Ever.

Advanced lifters with weaknesses, be they powerlifters or bodybuilders, will approach these weaknesses based on specific needs and body feedback. They will rarely solve these weaknesses by resorting to a different type of rep ranges for a specific type of hypertrophy. Why? Because they have probably just spent 10-15 years working in every range under the sun anyway.

More than this, different types of exercises have different "better" rep ranges that work for them. By this I mean isolation lifts don't work well at 80%+ near maximal weight and low reps. Isolations lifts are general not natural movements to the body. Compound lifts work better for a wide range of reps.

Machines are almost always unique. Machines have different leverage points and feels. Some bodyparts work better on machines for strength/power style lifts. Some do not. Some machines have odd designs which make low rep training awkward. Some, like Hammer presses, make the liftoff on presses hard, but the reps easier.

Some bodyparts respond better to higher reps. Some to lower reps. I know some guys, like John Christy, who preach low rep calf training and have made great gains. I see some people who use 50 rep calf sets and believe they work.

Pigeon holing rep ranges doesn't work. There are far too many variables...movement types, trainee experience level, bodypart needs and even weight.

This doesn't mean experienced lifters shouldn't try new things. Obvious this isn't the case. The opposite leads to progress.

For years I worked with a multitude of back exercises and rep ranges, but my back sucked. It wasn't a rep range that fixed this, but rather heavy deadlifts. Not only did deadlifts give me traps, but they also allowed me to bump my dumbbell rows from 120's to 220's, and my strict barbell rows to 315 for reps.

The point here is that the solution to weaknesses is rarely as simple as moving from 4-6 reps to 8-12 or something like this, simply because 99% of experienced lifters have already worked exercises in all these ranges for years.

Ride progression with basic compound lifts. If any whatever number of years you find you have a weakness, try new things.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 06-25-2011 at 07:36 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #9
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
I don't think anyone here can be thought of as "not realizing that". In fact the insinuation is quite the opposite.

Both myself and Spartigus have made the point that although we are aware of these varying types of *hypertrophy* that it is of little relevance to the practicalities of working out. I know Steve has a background in these fields as well and from his post he feels the same.

The original post asked if there is a reason to worry about fiber types and I still contend that there is not, because knowing *why* is irrelevant to knowing *what* to do in the gym.

I really don't mean to be argumentative but I have to speak up when people are being labelled as ignorant of these issues just because they choose not to let it affect the practicalities of what we know through experience works.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:06 PM   #10
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoleramon View Post
Worry, about them? NO!

Unless you just really like digging into the books, just stick with a basic plan and work hard at it. The basics never fail, if you apply yourself.

The more I learn, the simpler I tend to make my programs.

Whenever possible make whatever you're doing the simplest you cna make it.

Here are two different modes of transportation. They are exactly alike in a certain way. Do you know what that way is?

Last edited by glwanabe; 07-01-2011 at 05:08 PM.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote