Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Critique my squat form (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6558)

sleepingdog 06-15-2011 08:43 PM

Critique my squat form

I'm sure this has been covered a thousand times, but I find it easier to spot someone else's flaws than my own. I know I'm not squatting as well, or as much, as I could be.

This clip is 3 reps of typical form at 225lb
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...h_IMG_0609.jpg

I'm still learning a lot of things. I'm hoping for tips that will keep me from getting injured and help increase my lifts

Today's weight: 181lb

This weeks lifts
Bench: 275lb
Squat: 315lb
Deadlift: (haven't pulled in several weeks, no accurate numbers)

Best
Bench: 310lb
Squat: 365lb
Deadlift: 405lb

apologies for the size and shape of the thumbnail, first photobucket video ever.

Abaddon 06-15-2011 09:13 PM

Looks great to me! But 'm no expert.

Mr.Silverback 06-15-2011 09:40 PM

there is a great series on this on Elitefts, it's call So You Think You Can Squat. Look it up and that should help guide you more!

IronManlet 06-15-2011 10:31 PM

Decent enough. Try to remember to keep tight through the whole lift.

Also, I'd try squatting in some different shoes. Something flat-soled or with a non-compressible heel. It will give you better balance.

sleepingdog 06-15-2011 11:26 PM

I did, I dropped a $100 on some five fingers, and the gym banned them. I may just start squatting and deadlifting in socks to protest.
Any criticisms? Anything you wouldn't let a workout buddy do? It's been long enough since I seriously lifted that I feel like I have an opportunity to break some bad form habits that may have been muscle memory before. Now is the time if there are any pointers I can use to lift more properly.

Fazc 06-16-2011 01:21 AM

The only thing i'd say here is to work some hamstring/hip flexibility into your routine. The tuck you show at the bottom position may (or may not) hurt you in the future. I've had more luck with weighted stretches such as light Seated Good Mornings, then I have had with traditional stretching exercises.

Personally i'd prefer to speed the reps up a little as well, but that's a very debatable issue and not something i'd recommend to everyone.

Apart from that, all good.

IronManlet 06-16-2011 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepingdog (Post 145210)
I did, I dropped a $100 on some five fingers, and the gym banned them. I may just start squatting and deadlifting in socks to protest.
Any criticisms? Anything you wouldn't let a workout buddy do? It's been long enough since I seriously lifted that I feel like I have an opportunity to break some bad form habits that may have been muscle memory before. Now is the time if there are any pointers I can use to lift more properly.

Well like I said before, it looked good to me other than that it seemed you lost a little tightness as you squatted down. Just focus on keeping tight all through the movement.

BendtheBar 06-16-2011 08:30 AM

Overall looks pretty good. Do you concentrate on pushing your knees out just a hair as you descend? This might help with the tendency to lean a bit forward as you descend.

Aurik 06-16-2011 10:04 AM

Your form looked pretty good to me. Just try to stay tight in your whole body as you're both going down and back up. I'm not saying you didn't seem tight, but that's always something I need to work on, so I'd just pass it on. In any case, your form is better than 90% of the guys I see squatting at the gym. Any tweaks you need to your technique will be minor, and will become evident (that you need them) as the weight goes up.

Keep on squatting :rockon:

sleepingdog 06-20-2011 08:15 AM

Thanks guys! Speed is something I save as a variable in my workout. Every day has differing rep speed. I'll definitely look into some stretches, I know flexibility is lacking. I'm not sure if I'm keeping tight through the whole move, if I am, then I guess my core needs work.