Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default “The” Big Secret For Building Muscle And Strength

“The” Big Secret For Building Muscle And Strength

Ready for the big secret? Here it is:

There is no best workout.

Now that we’ve got that out of the way, let’s move on to more important things…like what’s really important. Want to build muscle and strength? Here’s what works:

* Persistence. Get to the gym and stop making excuses. Missed workouts, week in and week out, are unacceptable. If you aren’t persistent in your efforts, the rest of this list won’t matter.
* Progression. What is progression? Simply stated, it’s trying for more. Progression is pushing yourself for more reps, and more weight when possible. Progression involves maximizing every set of every workout. If you waste a set, you waste an opportunity to get bigger and stronger. Always push yourself of every set for more.
* Simplicity. Start simple and evolve your training based on needs. Don’t waste time jumping into complex workouts with crazy volume, thinking it’s a fast track to big gains. It’s not. Hard work on simple programs and approaches will make you bigger and stronger than you could have ever imagined.
* Basics. The basics are heavy, compound lifts like squats, dips, deadlift, bench press, rows, overhead press and pull ups. To maximize your progress you want to use the best tools for the job. Substituting less effective lifts because the are easier is a surefire way to slow your progress.
* Food. You can train as hard as Arnold Schwarzennegger or strongman Bill Kazmaier, but if you don’t eat enough you will have a very difficult time building muscle and getting strong. Forget about having razor sharp abs for now. Build first, then chisel (if that is your goal). Fixate on a low bodyfat percentage, eat like a bird, and you will look like a bird. There is no doubt about it.

Follow these rules and you maximize nearly any workout ever created. Ignore these rules and even the best workout plan will seem useless and ineffective.

When utilizing the Primal/Dungeon Training Workouts, make sure to apply these 5 principles at all times.

No Best Workout?

So if there is no “best” workout, does it really matter at all how you train? Of course! The 5 principles presented in this article can help you make the most out of any workout, but they aren’t magic. A poorly designed workout filled with an overabundance of isolation lifts and huge amounts of volume is still less effective than any of the workouts presented on this site.

By applying the 5 principles, you will be able to amplify gains using almost any training system, but this does not mean your gains will be maximal. Think of it this way…a hammer might be able to open a can of tuna, but it’s not the right tool for the job. Obviously, you should have used a can opener.

Along these same lines, a high volume training split might be able to help you gain some muscle and strength, but if you are a natural lifter, it’s not the right tool for the job. Many gym rats pretend it is, but the vast majority of those entranced by this method of training are small, weak and making little to no progress.

It’s Time To Get Results

You're reading this article for a reason…you are tired of working hard because nothing seems to help. You are not building muscle and your strength has plateaued. Your arms are stuck at 13 inches and your bench press at 185 pounds.

It’s time for a change. It’s time to build some size and beef up that bench press.

You can make amazing gains during the next 12 months. Set aside the silly notion that you are a hardgainer. Follow the Dungeon Training plan and stop over-thinking things.

Still don’t believe you have potential to turn things around? I did, and I am far from being a genetic freak. Here is where I started:

* Skinny/Fat Ectomorph. I was 5’10″ and weighed 150-155 pounds when I entered college. I had no muscle at all, and was at least 20% bodyfat. Despite being thin I looked pathetic with my shirt off.
* Weak. I was very athletic and active as a teen, and spent a lot of time running, playing sports and…lifting weights. Despite my efforts, I still couldn’t bench more than 95 pounds at the age of 18. I was naturally weak.
* Small-Boned. The smaller your bone size, the less potential you have for adding muscle size and strength. My wrist size is approximately 6.3 to 6.4 inches, which is about as small-boned as you can get.

I now have 18+ inch arms, and have bench pressed 430 pounds. People assume I am genetically gifted. How did I turn things around? I was mentored by a college English professor who also happened to be a bodybuilder.

My mentor advised me to focus on progression of weight using basic lifts. In addition, my college cafeteria was buffet style and I ate and ate and ate and ate.

The result…after only 8 months my mentor approached me and asked if I was taking anything. I wasn’t of course. I was simply following a successful protocol; the principles provided in this article.

After 18 months I had 16.5 inch arms, a bench press over 300 pounds, and a squat max approaching 400 pounds.

The Challenge

I want to offer you a challenge. Take a starting picture, weigh yourself and take arm and leg measurements. Then dedicate yourself to the application of my 5 principles. Simplify your training. Focus on heavy compound lifts. Eat like a bear. Stop missing workouts. Relentlessly focus on progression of weight.

Forget about the scale for a while. Forget about the bodybuilding magazines, endless studies and forum debates. Completely sell out to the Primal/Dungeon Training system.

In 6 to 12 months take a second picture, weigh yourself and take your measurements….and let me see your progress. I want to hear about and see your results.

And if you have questions along the way, let me know. I am here to help.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links