Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
RogueDynamics
New Brawn
Points: 594, Level: 11 Points: 594, Level: 11 Points: 594, Level: 11
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squats, squats, squats!
Fav Supp: Jack3d
RogueDynamics is off to a bad start
Default Wanting to improve my pullups

Hey guys, I'm going to the gym later on this afternoon and I'm wanting some workouts to add to my routine so that I can increase my pullups. This is mainly because all of my friends are in the corps, and even though I may best them in pushup competitions, they kick my arse in pullups. I'll post my back and bicep, as well as shoulder,trap, and forearm workout down below.

Back and Biceps Workout

Deadlifts – 4 sets of 5 to 10 reps
Pull ups/Weighted Pull Ups – 3 sets of 6 to 15 reps
Seated Pull-Downs - 3 sets of 6 to 12 reps
Dumbbell Rows – 3 sets of 6 to 15 reps
Back Extensions 3 sets of 8 to 15 reps
Seated Cable Rows – 3 sets of 6 to 12 reps
Barbell Curls – 3 sets of 6 to 12 reps
Seated Curls - 3 sets of 6 to 12 reps
Concentration Curls – 3 sets of 6 to 12 reps
Face Pulls - 3 Sets of 6 to 12 reps

Shoulders, Traps and Forearms Workout

Military Press – 4 sets of 6 to 12 reps
Seated Arnold Press – 3 sets of 6 to 12 reps
Seated Cable Press - 3 sets of 8 to 15 reps
Power Side Laterals – 3 sets of 8 to 15 reps
Reverse Cable laterals – 3 sets of 8 to 15 reps
Power Shrugs – 3 sets of 5 to 10 reps
Wrist Curl Over Bench – 2 sets of 10 to 20 reps
Static Barbell Hold – 2 sets for maximum time

It is basically a modified 3 Month Muscle Building workout. Perhaps including pullups 3 times a week would give me the results I'm looking for? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

The best thing to improve pull ups is to do more pull ups. You can do negatives once you've reached failure by jumping up to the top of the motioin and lowering yourself as slowly as possible.

Pull ups with bodyweight are also low stress on your body and CNS so you can throw some into your other weekly sessions.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueDynamics View Post

It is basically a modified 3 Month Muscle Building workout. Perhaps including pullups 3 times a week would give me the results I'm looking for? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Sure wouldn't hurt. Make a goal to add at least one pullup each week. In a few months your pullups strength should be greatly improved.

Here is an approach I used back in the day.

Quote:
Density Training

If you are unable to perform more than several pull ups at one time, set aside the conventional rep and set approach and instead use density training. Density training is performed like this:

* Timed Duration. Density training is timed. Start with 5 minute density periods, and eventually work up to 10 minutes if you can. Time yourself using a cell phone or clock.
* Forget “Sets”. Instead of focusing on sets, you will try to do as many pull ups as possible in the allotted time period. These reps do not have to be singles. Perform as many reps as you would like, and then rest until you feel like you will be able to perform another rep or two.
* Progress. Each week try to perform at least one more rep during the allotted time period.

For example, let’s say you can only perform 5 reps in 5 minutes during week one. Each week you try for more, adding reps when possible. After 10 weeks you find that you are now able to perform 12 reps in 5 minutes.

This might not seem like a significant improvement, but if you continue to improve one rep at a time, sooner or later you will be able to perform standard sets of 5 to 10 reps.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
Aurik
SFHW = Win
Max Brawn
Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 1-2
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Kettlebells, for now
Fav Supp: XTend
Aurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributor

One possible way of adding extra pullups into your routine is to superset them with military press and/or bench press. Basically do a set of military press, then immediately turn around and do some (unweighted) pull-ups. This has the added benefit of helping keep your shoulder stable as well as increasing your pullup count.
Valentin Konstantin Platz
Aurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
RogueDynamics
New Brawn

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to try adding them to what I'm currently doing, and I'll keep you guys posted on progress.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:25 PM   #6
wesrman
Max Brawn
Points: 4,311, Level: 41 Points: 4,311, Level: 41 Points: 4,311, Level: 41
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Chin Ups
wesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributor

Synaptic facilitation (Greasing the groove) -Pavel Tsatsouline
Doing frequent, non-exhaustive sets of a specific exercise to strengthen the nerve pathway.

You basically hang a door way pull up bar in your house and do a set of pull ups every time you walk into the living room (or wherever you pass).

Grease the Groove for Strength | The Human Machine

Last edited by wesrman; 06-12-2011 at 08:28 PM.
wesrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
RogueDynamics
New Brawn

@wesrman

Thanks dude. I'm going out of town this week, so I'll pick one up when I get back.
RogueDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote