Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Quick question - chest/back after arms day? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6481)

polak 06-07-2011 12:09 AM

Quick question - chest/back after arms day?

hey boys i been training with a friend and he had me do shoulders/arms yesterday he told me to do legs today but if they are still sore from heavy squats few days ago i should do chest/back.

how bad is it to work chest after a shoulder arm day?

my triceps and biceps arent sore though but my legs are still little bit messed up from squatting?

-cliffs
worked shoulders/arms yesterday will chest/back next day affect their growth?

i used google before i posted everyone says "ideally you should wait a day" but i feel like benching ><

Abaddon 06-07-2011 12:28 AM

It's not the best idea to train chest right after shoulders.
Why are you training back and chest together?
What does your full routine look like?

Carl1174 06-07-2011 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polak (Post 142697)
hey boys i been training with a friend and he had me do shoulders/arms yesterday he told me to do legs today but if they are still sore from heavy squats few days ago i should do chest/back.

how bad is it to work chest after a shoulder arm day?

my triceps and biceps arent sore though but my legs are still little bit messed up from squatting?

-cliffs
worked shoulders/arms yesterday will chest/back next day affect their growth?

i used google before i posted everyone says "ideally you should wait a day" but i feel like benching ><

Legs always ache for the longest because they are the biggest muscles, arms dont really get DOMS for long as they are a small mucle.

Personally i would either take the day off or Squat.

If you could give all the answers to Abaddons questions that would be a good help for any further advice you might want.

Carl.

polak 06-07-2011 03:50 AM

atm im working out 4 days a week 2 on 1 off 2 on with a 3day split
doing 1 muscle group twice a week and it alternates.

(work whole body 3 day split and on 4th day choose a muscle group to do twice a week)

#1Shoulders/Arms

dumbbell overhead presses
lateral raises

barbell curls
Skullcrushers

cable bicep curls
push downs for triceps

#2LEGS

squats
leg extensions
leg curls
calve press (using leg press machine)

#3 OFF

#4Chest/back
bench press
pec deck or cable flys

dumbbell rows
lat pull downs

#5 choose legs, or arms

but this week my legs hurt from last weeks squats so i thought i should do something else.

i ended up squatting though :*( but was curious if ok to work similar muscles next day.

Carl1174 06-07-2011 04:22 AM

You shouldnt really work a muscle goup two days in a row tbh. So biceps the day before back, triceps the day before shoulders or triceps or shoulders the day before chest as all those muscles are used secondarily in working the larger muscle group. It works the other way round too, so you dont really want to be working tris the day after chest etc etc...

If you want to work everything twice per week there are some really good routines on this site that you could perhaps look at and see if they are along the the lines of what you want to do. For me the program seems a bit 'arm heavy' but if your getting the results you want then its all good. I wouldnt tell someone to change something that is working, but i think you may get better results from perhaps having a look around the site and getting a few ideas from there. The newly created 'real results' section in the 'fullbody' section has some fantastic routines that you could look at to see how muscles are separated throughout a working week

hope this helps

Carl.

Abaddon 06-07-2011 04:52 AM

^Good post Carl.

nighttrain 06-07-2011 05:12 AM

sounds good to me Carl

Aurik 06-07-2011 06:10 AM

If you're dead set on doing a 3 day a week split with a day rest between them, then you can probably set up some type of push/pull/legs routine to work. By push/pull/legs I mean something like this:

Push: Shoulders/Chest/Triceps
Pull: Back/Biceps
Legs: Well, legs is pretty self-explainatory.

So you could then do a
Monday: PUSH
Tuesday: PULL
Wednesday OFF
Thursday: LEGS
Friday: PUSH
SAT/SUN: OFF
Monday: PULL (you get the idea from here)

TitanCT 06-07-2011 07:08 AM

three days of training. id prob do fullbody workouts 3x a week.

Carl1174 06-07-2011 07:46 AM

I'd agree ^^^^^^

Carl.