Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member
Default Body Fat Calculations and finding your body fat %.

This is more for the serous COMPETITIVE Bodybuilder's info:

Body fat testing is a big issue and misconception now days. Due to everyone posting different Pinch test calculations to get your Body Fat %'s.
Myself and another Pro Bodybuilder ran a test. Many don't like the results because they don't like what they here. So many CLAIM going on stage at 4% BF. This kills new people to the sports, ideals on good show conditioning. This is due to them using there results from the 3 point pinch in which is ok for general health but it is 8% off due to only testing in 3 places and only reads the subcutaneous fat.

So this is a false and inaccurate reading and calculation.

Test accuracy and how far off and what you should add to the more true results. 1 being most inaccurate and 7 being most accurate to date:
  1. Hand held/stand on (scale style): + 12%
  2. 3 point skin fold: + 8%
  3. 5 point skin fold: + 4%
  4. 7 point shin fold: + 2%
  5. Tank: + 1.25 %
  6. Pod: + 1%
  7. Ultra Sound: +- 0

Unfortunately these tests are also the more accurate the more expensive it is.
So my friend and Natural Pro Bodybuilder had access to ran the test like this:

First thing at wake up after emptying the bladder.
NO food or water so it would be true body dry weight and no water retention.
All the tests ran back to back before any water or food was taken in.

This may raise some discussion BUT to accurately find your Lean Body Mass for a good nutrition plan and get shredded, it is very crucial information.

20+ B/F %

6% B/F

4-5% B/F (The lower you get the more visual difference it makes with very small changes.)

Now that being said. I personally searched for a 7 point formula most accurate with Ultra Sound results for people that can't get a Ultra Sound done. Add 1% to your results. This formula is pretty close to a Ultra Sound if pinches are taken correctly.
Formula and EXAMPLE:

Gender Male
Age 45
Weight 140 lbs

Measurements:
Chest 2 mm
Abdomen 8 mm
Thigh 8 mm
Triceps 4 mm
Axilla 5 mm
Subscapula 8 mm
Suprailiac 6 mm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Body Fat 457 / (1.112 - (0.00043499 * (Chest + Abdomen + Thigh + Triceps + Axilla + Subscapula + Suprailiac)) + (0.00000055 * (Chest + Abdomen + Thigh + Triceps + Axilla + Subscapula + Suprailiac)2) - (0.00028826 * Age)) - 414.2
8% = 457 / (1.112 - (0.00043499 * (2 + 8 + 8 + 4 + 5 + 8 + 6) + (0.00000055 * (2 + 8 + 8 + 4 + 5 + 8 + 6)2) - (0.00028826 * 45)) - 414.2
Fat Mass Body Fat % * Weight
11 lbs = 8% * 140 lbs
Lean Mass Weight - Fat Mass
129 lbs = 140 lbs - 11 lbs
Body Fat Category Athletic = 6%-13%

Or you can just go here and put in the pinch readings you get and it shows the proper places to take them:
Calculators Bodybuilder Rich Knapp – Freak on Wheels

People forget about the inter muscular (essential Fats) and Visceral fat that accumulates inside the abdomen, often surrounding the internal organs, including the heart, liver, kidneys and intestines.
The only way to see how much visceral fat is in the body is to do a CT, MRI scan or Ultra Sound test.

Last edited by Rich Knapp; 06-05-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2011, 04:33 AM   #2
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Awesome Rich. You see too many people on sites claiming to have an 8% body fat or whatever and there pictures have no separation in the muscles etc etc... Also the claims magazines make that so and so is at 220lbs and 4% bf etc etc.. hopfully a post like this will help stop some people obsessing un-necessarily about it and reailse that it not to be all and end all - obviously if you are competing its a different matter.

Also i just want to say the difference between the 20% pic and the 6% pics of yours is staggering, mainly because you seemed to have lost NO MUSCLE MASS whatsoever in the cut... AMAZING work buddy

carl.

Last edited by Carl1174; 06-07-2011 at 04:38 AM.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:59 AM   #3
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
Awesome Rich. You see too many people on sites claiming to have an 8% body fat or whatever and there pictures have no separation in the muscles etc etc... Also the claims magazines make that so and so is at 220lbs and 4% bf etc etc.. hopfully a post like this will help stop some people obsessing un-necessarily about it and reailse that it not to be all and end all - obviously if you are competing its a different matter.

Also i just want to say the difference between the 20% pic and the 6% pics of yours is staggering, mainly because you seemed to have lost NO MUSCLE MASS whatsoever in the cut... AMAZING work buddy

carl.
Thanks Carl. I could have been better. I fell into the "I'm lean enough." zone. I should have dropped another 2lbs.
Keeping The Max amount of LBM in cuttings first step is to know your TRUE B/F so you get the right calculations for diet nutrition. If you just guess its the first step to fail.

I also don't like people thinking "Oh I'm at 4%, I'm ripped and stage ready." or to claim 4% when they are 8-10%. It does nothing but make the people that know better think they are a fool.

When your cheeks suck in, and your eyes sink in you are close to 4%. BUT being said also, on stage it isn't about your %. Its all in how you look.
So many people come on stage at 8-10% but claim 4% and gets back pats for great work. This does nothing but hold them back from hitting there true potential and true stage conditioning. Theres general weight loss-great work and there is stage conditioning-great work.
Stage-When you think your lean enough cut even more.

These are not just my opinion. These are outlooks I have learned from other Natural Pro's in my journey to winning my card. I just have a fat mouth and express it. You can encourage improvement without stopping progress.
My coaches and sponsors do it with me all the time.

I will make a lot of haters with this post, but who am I helping buy stroking ego's? No one.
People are here to improve, not get there ego stroked. Thats why this is in the Bodybuilding area not general health or Power lifting area's.

I want every one that steps on stage to bring there best and have no reason to say "I didn't know that" or "I thought" .

Last edited by Rich Knapp; 06-07-2011 at 06:12 AM.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote