Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
sleepingdog
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: Heavy bar work
Fav Supp: Steak
sleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributor
Default Ineffective back exercises..

I'm having issues with my back. Not pain, not inflexibility, and I don't think weakness. I just don't feel like I'm doing ANY upper or mid back exercises right. I love my good mornings, and hyperextensions I can do all day. Anything above those muscles seems to be "numb". I have no control over the muscles, I've never been able to flex any back muscle except traps. I really feel like my arms and shoulders are doing all the work in a dumbell row, seated pulldown, pullups, barbell rows, etc.

Any advice? Why is this so awkward?
sleepingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
espm1000
Manlet on Fire
Brawn
Points: 2,382, Level: 29 Points: 2,382, Level: 29 Points: 2,382, Level: 29
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2+
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Barbell Row
espm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good postsespm1000 has made some good posts

I just recently overcame this problem and I'll tell you what I did. I started viewing my hands as hooks to hold the weight and began pulling with my elbows if that makes sense.

Here are a few excellent tips I can give you to make sure you feel it in your back.

1) When doing pulldowns, pullups, or rows visualize pulling the bar apart. You need a decent, deep grip to do this, but pull the bar apart. By pulling the bar apart you keep your form in check and get a tighter contraction of the muscles surrounding the scapulae (Rhomboids, Traps, and Lats). In all honesty, you should be pulling the bar apart on benches during the downward motion as well to help stabilize yourself and engage your lats to keep tension in the bar.

2) Minimize any and all leg involvement during your sets unless you're purposefully cheating and can CONTROL it. Jerking the weight up will not allow you to feel the muscles in your back doing the work and is a good way to injure something.

3) Perform your all of your warm-up sets slowly with correct form to help yourself get used to the feeling of pulling your scapulae back.
espm1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:27 AM   #3
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Espm has good advice. Follow it. But, I will tell you a few things that helped me in addition to that.

In a row, concentrate on squeezing the shoulder blades together, rather than lifting the weight. The weight is irrelevant, it's the motion that works the upper back muscles. Also, try to set up and hit the lower chest/upper stomach because that engages the Lats more. You're pulling the weight in to your body, not snatching it towards your chest. If that makes any sense.

Also, a very good upper back strengthening exercise is to simply sit upright, draw your chest up and shoulders back in a somewhat exaggerated arch of your back, and hold that position while you breathe at least a few times, trying to draw your chest up to your chin. Work up to 45-60 sec. in that position.

You could also do some rounded back good mornings , seated or vertical. Bar on your back, slouch down rounded back, then arch back and raise body into perfect upper body positioning, and raise back up. I do these every pre-workout warmup, and a deloaded version post workout everyday, except weekends.

Good luck!
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:42 AM   #4
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Stick to heavy deadlifts, heavy bent rows and Chins if you can do them. For now forget about trying to *feel* the muscle. There's no need for a beginner to be concerned with such things, as long as your form is correct and you're progressively adding weight to the bar and to the scale then what you are doing is working.

Once a decent foundation of muscle has been built you will be better able to flex it.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:44 AM   #5
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

I feel NOTHING in my back more than Cleans... seriously if you want upper back DOMS then do some Oly Lifts

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:57 AM   #6
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Back muscles are hard to activate a lot of the time because you can't see them. Have your training partner or spotter lightly tap the muscles you are going to use just before you start your set. This will tell your brain what you're going to be using and help you flex and use the right muscles. Other than that it's all practice.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:12 AM   #7
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

I feel my upper and outer lats - if the description is accurate - when performing straight arm lateral pushdowns.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:43 AM   #8
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I'm not a fan of the whole "mind-muscle connection" thing, but when I first got back into training hard a couple years ago, I did lots of lighter weight pull-downs (not light, just not heavy). I really focussed on thinking of my hands as hooks (awesome advice, worked very well for me), allowing the weight to stretch me at the top, then pulling my elbows down and squeezing the s8!t out of my entire back. Shoulders back, chest out.

Focussing on those things made me finally feel my back after years of trying to and failing. Now I don't have to think about those things, but I still feel my back. I disagree with just throwing around heavy weights. There's nothing wrong with some cheating, but if you don't have the basics of stretching and contraction in your back, you won't get the full benefits.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #9
sleepingdog
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: Heavy bar work
Fav Supp: Steak
sleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributor

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the fast inputs. I'm on a modified West Side Barbell routine (modified to match my schedule and available equipment), so it will be sunday before I get a real chance to give this a shot. Sadly, no matter where I go, I'm the one with the interest in lifting so there is no voice of experience on hand .
sleepingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I have 2 pieces of advice.

First, when you pull on back exercises, start by moving the shoulder back, and then complete the lift by pulling the elbow back and squeezing the lats together. This isn't done in a slow manner, but rather naturally, with brute strength. (Think shoulders back, elbows back, squeeze.)

Second, use heavy weight. I am not a fan of mind muscle and that sort of thing. Row/pull as much as you can. Don't worry about slowing things down to feel. Practice the above while moving heavy iron. I am now up to 215 on dumbbell rows and 315 on barbell rows and can still pull using the above style.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote