Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
Fire36
Nozzle Jockey
Max Brawn
Points: 2,397, Level: 29 Points: 2,397, Level: 29 Points: 2,397, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributor
Default Full body workouts for beginner

Trying to find a good beginner workout for my wife. She has asked me to help her get on a good program in the gym to help her lose weight. We have such different goals ( her fat loss, me muscle strength and conditioning). We are both helping each other eat better so nutrition goals are similar.

I've been leaning on a 5x5 but also don't want to overwhelm her, and hope to get her seeing some results. A simple 3 day full body would be great. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
Aurik
SFHW = Win
Max Brawn
Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 1-2
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Kettlebells, for now
Fav Supp: XTend
Aurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributor

I know you've said something along these lines in the shout box, but it might also help if you mentioned what her comfort level and willingness to do the various types of exercises (dumbbell, barbell, bodyweight, or machine), and what types of exercises you feel she would be receptive to and ones that you feel that she would be very uncomfortable with.
Valentin Konstantin Platz
Aurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

A few suggestions mate;

It really is dependant how long she wants to be in the gym and what kind of exercises she likes doing, but I would definitely go along the 3 days per week full body route (or even 2 days of lifting weights and an extra day of cardio if she really wants to lose the fat).

Whichever routine she decieds then it should really include a Squat and pull from the floor and an over head press as a minimum.

She could try the John Christy 2 days per week routine (it could easily be tweaked if some of the exercises are not needed, like the barbell static holds etc...) its in the John Christy appreciation thread (full body section). i am running a bastardised version of it myself at the minute and it fits my hectic schedule really well as it is set up in an A/B style so i just hit the gym when i can and rotate the days meaning im not gonna over work anything, if i go three days a week i am also not gonna fry my CNS with doing too much, but its equally as good on 2 days a week.

There are also lots in the MAB Classic physique challenge thread (again in the full body section), they may look a little intimidating for her, but i know they work really well for beginners/intermediate men or women so think she do really well off one of those (the Reeves Classic is a very good routine).

like I say it is really dependant on what exercises she likes doing and what will fit her schedule.

hope this helps

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I would take the first month and go higher reps (10-15), and have her get used to the exercises, and the demands of the program and her diet. Have her add a little bit of weight each week.

After the first month, I would keep her between the 8 to 12 rep range and get her in the habit of pushing sets close to failure.

I agree with Carl...the Reeves classic is a good template to work from:

Squat..............3x8-12
DB/BB row........3x8-12....DL 3x5* see note
BB/DB Press......3x8-12....*See note.
BB/DB Bench.....3x8-12
BB/DB curl........3x8-12
dips................5x10@BW Try for sets of 10, but do what you can.
BB calf raise.....3x15-20
abs

I am not sure I would start her with squats though, unless she knows how to perform them already.

I would do something like:

Leg Press..............3x8-12
Dumbbell/Barbell Row........3x8-12
Dumbbell/Barbell Overhead Press......3x8-12....*See note.
Dumbbell/Barbell Bench Press.....3x8-12
Dumbbell/Barbell curl........3x8-12
Tricep pressdowns or assisted dips................3x8-12
Calf raise.....3x15-20
Abs

If any of the pressing lifts don't work well for her out of the gate, let her use a hammer press/overhead press. The point iof the first month is to:

A) Get her into a pattern.
B) Get her used to progression.

After a month if she is going strong I would introduce her to squats and deadlifts.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I would also say to make sure that she knows lifting by itself without a proper diet approach. I'm sure she knows this because of you....but I thought I would mention it, having a stubborn wife myself.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
polak
Brawn
Points: 381, Level: 7 Points: 381, Level: 7 Points: 381, Level: 7
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

polak is off to a bad start

my gf wants to start going gym after seeing some of my results ><

so im in same boat.

for a girl thats under 6ft 22 years old goal to get in shape change body composition.

whats a good calorie start if shes training 4x a week?
i was going to tell her 2400? or is that to low not very active prob wont do cardio more than twice a week.

(soz if seems like hijack thread but i think answer would help OP also)
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:58 PM   #7
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 34
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Snatch
Fav Supp: Elk
Wlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good posts

FWIW - I can get my lady to do most any movement if it's in a circuit or pairing of some kind. She LOVES EDT training. Even heavy sandbags and rocks. I couldn't get her to do a standard strength session.

I've found that goblet squats and kettlebell or dumbbell swings are the keys to the kingdom when teaching ladies to squat and deadlift.

"There's no such thing as shaping and toning. Only stronger and weaker." -Mark Rippetoe
Wlfdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfdg View Post
FWIW - I can get my lady to do most any movement if it's in a circuit or pairing of some kind. She LOVES EDT training. Even heavy sandbags and rocks. I couldn't get her to do a standard strength session.

I've found that goblet squats and kettlebell or dumbbell swings are the keys to the kingdom when teaching ladies to squat and deadlift.
My wife is kind of the same way. If it's a circuit she will do it.