Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Full body workouts for beginner (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6402)

Fire36 05-31-2011 11:36 AM

Full body workouts for beginner

Trying to find a good beginner workout for my wife. She has asked me to help her get on a good program in the gym to help her lose weight. We have such different goals ( her fat loss, me muscle strength and conditioning). We are both helping each other eat better so nutrition goals are similar.

I've been leaning on a 5x5 but also don't want to overwhelm her, and hope to get her seeing some results. A simple 3 day full body would be great. Thanks for any suggestions.

Aurik 05-31-2011 11:41 AM

I know you've said something along these lines in the shout box, but it might also help if you mentioned what her comfort level and willingness to do the various types of exercises (dumbbell, barbell, bodyweight, or machine), and what types of exercises you feel she would be receptive to and ones that you feel that she would be very uncomfortable with.

Carl1174 05-31-2011 11:43 AM

A few suggestions mate;

It really is dependant how long she wants to be in the gym and what kind of exercises she likes doing, but I would definitely go along the 3 days per week full body route (or even 2 days of lifting weights and an extra day of cardio if she really wants to lose the fat).

Whichever routine she decieds then it should really include a Squat and pull from the floor and an over head press as a minimum.

She could try the John Christy 2 days per week routine (it could easily be tweaked if some of the exercises are not needed, like the barbell static holds etc...) its in the John Christy appreciation thread (full body section). i am running a bastardised version of it myself at the minute and it fits my hectic schedule really well as it is set up in an A/B style so i just hit the gym when i can and rotate the days meaning im not gonna over work anything, if i go three days a week i am also not gonna fry my CNS with doing too much, but its equally as good on 2 days a week.

There are also lots in the MAB Classic physique challenge thread (again in the full body section), they may look a little intimidating for her, but i know they work really well for beginners/intermediate men or women so think she do really well off one of those (the Reeves Classic is a very good routine).

like I say it is really dependant on what exercises she likes doing and what will fit her schedule.

hope this helps

Carl.

BendtheBar 05-31-2011 12:25 PM

I would take the first month and go higher reps (10-15), and have her get used to the exercises, and the demands of the program and her diet. Have her add a little bit of weight each week.

After the first month, I would keep her between the 8 to 12 rep range and get her in the habit of pushing sets close to failure.

I agree with Carl...the Reeves classic is a good template to work from:

Squat..............3x8-12
DB/BB row........3x8-12....DL 3x5* see note
BB/DB Press......3x8-12....*See note.
BB/DB Bench.....3x8-12
BB/DB curl........3x8-12
dips................5x10@BW Try for sets of 10, but do what you can.
BB calf raise.....3x15-20
abs

I am not sure I would start her with squats though, unless she knows how to perform them already.

I would do something like:

Leg Press..............3x8-12
Dumbbell/Barbell Row........3x8-12
Dumbbell/Barbell Overhead Press......3x8-12....*See note.
Dumbbell/Barbell Bench Press.....3x8-12
Dumbbell/Barbell curl........3x8-12
Tricep pressdowns or assisted dips................3x8-12
Calf raise.....3x15-20
Abs

If any of the pressing lifts don't work well for her out of the gate, let her use a hammer press/overhead press. The point iof the first month is to:

A) Get her into a pattern.
B) Get her used to progression.

After a month if she is going strong I would introduce her to squats and deadlifts.

BendtheBar 05-31-2011 12:33 PM

I would also say to make sure that she knows lifting by itself without a proper diet approach. I'm sure she knows this because of you....but I thought I would mention it, having a stubborn wife myself.

polak 06-11-2011 08:28 PM

my gf wants to start going gym after seeing some of my results ><

so im in same boat.

for a girl thats under 6ft 22 years old goal to get in shape change body composition.

whats a good calorie start if shes training 4x a week?
i was going to tell her 2400? or is that to low not very active prob wont do cardio more than twice a week.

(soz if seems like hijack thread but i think answer would help OP also)

Wlfdg 06-11-2011 11:58 PM

FWIW - I can get my lady to do most any movement if it's in a circuit or pairing of some kind. She LOVES EDT training. Even heavy sandbags and rocks. I couldn't get her to do a standard strength session.

I've found that goblet squats and kettlebell or dumbbell swings are the keys to the kingdom when teaching ladies to squat and deadlift.

BendtheBar 06-12-2011 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wlfdg (Post 144002)
FWIW - I can get my lady to do most any movement if it's in a circuit or pairing of some kind. She LOVES EDT training. Even heavy sandbags and rocks. I couldn't get her to do a standard strength session.

I've found that goblet squats and kettlebell or dumbbell swings are the keys to the kingdom when teaching ladies to squat and deadlift.

My wife is kind of the same way. If it's a circuit she will do it.