Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default About the "Dungeon" Training Method

The information presented in this forum is my personal philosophy on training. A few things about my approach that you need to understand:

Experience Level. My advice is aimed at beginners to early intermediate lifters. The articles in this section are not meant to tell intermediate and advanced lifters how to train. You should already know what works for your body. If you don't, you're not an intermediate lifter.

Aggressive Eating. This information will help inexperienced lifters make big leaps in both size and strength, and requires an aggressive eating approach. I believe that the fastest way to make rapid gains is to eat big and lift big. Understand that I am not asking you to become a sumo wrestler. On the other hand, if you are unwilling to add up to 15 to 25 pounds of fat over the next two years, this might not be the plan for you.

Natural Lifting. This advice is aimed at natural lifters. This is not a "dig" on those that choose to use steroids. With that said, no beginner to early intermediate should be using any performance enhancing drugs. Until you learn how to gain naturally, you have no business exploring other options. (I do not condone the use of performance enhancing drugs)

Elaborate Splits. "So and so said he made great gains using a 5/6 day split with a lot of volume. Can I use that program too?" My answer...I have no interest in advocating 5 to 6 day high volume splits for beginners and early intermediate lifters.

More is not better for natural lifters. If you can't blast your body into growth on 3-4 hours of training per week, you have no business adding in more volume. Start with the basics, and evolve your training around specific needs.

All endeavors in life require a mastery of the fundamentals. If you believe that adding "more" is the golden solution to making size and strength gains, go for it. But don't expect my help. Every trainer I respect advocates 2-4 days tops per week. These trainers include:
  • John Christy
  • Casey Butt
  • Jim Wendler (5/3/1)
  • Louie Simmons (Westside)
  • Mark Rippetoe
  • Wesley Silveira (Iron Addict)

If you respect trainers not on this list, then follow their advice. No disrespect meant. I want you to succeed no matter how you train. I truly do.

Questions

Feel free to ask questions in this forum. I will try to answer every question as promptly as possible. Also, I will be adding material to this forum on a regular basis. Please check back.

Debates

This forum is not a debate forum. If you wish to debate/criticize any of my training philosophies, I kindly ask that you open a thread in the bodybuilding or powerlifting sub-forums. I am not above criticism; I just don't want debates to take place in this sub-forum. This is an open forum, meaning that we welcome ALL ideas, and respect ALL men of iron.

Understand this...I have no interest in trying to convert those who don't believe in my training philosophies. I attempt to avoid dogmatic beliefs, and reserve the right to evolve my opinions based on new information.

If there is anything I am highly dogmatic about, it is the need to eat MORE and lift HEAVIER. Why? Far too many lifters do neither, and can't - for the life of them - figure out why they can't gain.

My training philosophies are an attempt to simplify the building of muscle and strength, and to weed out the confusion and burdens placed upon the natural lifting realm by everyone from Weider to the modern e-books peddlers who are trying to sell you a magic system.

My program is meta-program. It is not a single way of training, but rather reasonable guidelines that can better help you understand training. I am not selling you anything, other than my (free) beliefs based on my 24 years in the iron.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 05-29-2011 at 01:48 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

OK! I'm in. Let's hear it. I'm all ears. I'm perhaps a bit hesitant of the agressive eating component as I've already built up a good solid base of fat to burn, but I'm all about hearing what you have to say.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
OK! I'm in. Let's hear it. I'm all ears. I'm perhaps a bit hesitant of the agressive eating component as I've already built up a good solid base of fat to burn, but I'm all about hearing what you have to say.
The more muscle you have added, the less aggressive the eating should be. The same can be said if you have a goal to only add 5 to 10 pounds of muscle. I also recommend less aggressive approaches for older lifters.

I advocate "aggressive eating" because I believe far too many trainees undereat. To them, aggressive eating is something many who are making gains consider normal eating.

My approach is not for everyone. It is primarily a program and approach for those that way to add muscle and strength as fast as possible. We each have different goals, and different life situations.

As I stated...this is not dogma, but rather a set of guidelines and tools that you can hopefully apply to your situation and goals to help maximize progress. I don't want this to read as "You must eat aggressively to make gains".

On the other hand, I answer questions from beginning trainees day in and day out. 95% of them aren't eating enough. I have to find a way to get them on track and eating more. I would rather have them eating aggressively and backing consumption down based on needs than to see them continue to undereat and make no gains.

I do not believe adding (up to*) 15 to 25 pounds of fat is a large amount for the average 5'10", 150 pound lifter. Aggressive eating does not mean bulking up to 270-300 while trying to get as big and strong as possible. On the other side of the spectrum, if you are trying to gain 15-20 pounds of muscle and aren't willing to put on any fat you probably have a long road ahead of you.

*This could equal 5-10 pounds of fat. I only gained 5 pounds while bulking aggressively.

If you can gain muscle and strength at a rate that is acceptable to you, you don't need my help. But if your gains are lacking, then there's a good chance you aren't eating enough or training progressively.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 05-29-2011 at 08:25 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
If you can gain muscle and strength at a rate that is acceptable to you, you don't need my help. But if your gains are lacking, then there's a good chance you aren't eating enough or training progressively.
I wonder what is acceptable for someone relatively new to lifting seriously? What is realistic? Add 10 pounds a month to your squat? 20? 30 pounds to your deadlift? Bench? Etc.

I realize every person is different, but what is an average for someone kind of starting out?

What is working hard enough? That is the question I have right now. I think I am working hard enough, but am I slacking? Or over thinking? Should I be working harder and expecting more? Or be patient knowing I am in the right path and gains will come?

What did you do early on in your lifting journey?
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote