Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   I've never made my own program before, but here it goes! (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6250)

espm1000 05-15-2011 08:38 PM

I've never made my own program before, but here it goes!

I really need a program that doesn't restrict me to a particular schedule. I need to be able to come and go as I please at any time of the day on any day, so a typical push/pull/legs seems appropriate. I'm also on a mission to learn to become more intense during my workouts. I often find that I can get more than a few extra reps or add a bit more weight, but I am not used to pushing myself yet, so the intensity and confidence isn't quite there yet.

I'm also an advocate of frequency training, so a push/pull/legs can be tailored to hit each muscle group twice within a 5 day period. I loved the upper/lower I was on, and may use one in the future, but it was hard for me to focus when I felt like I was jumping around from muscle group to muscle group.

Either way, the main goal is progressive loading in the 4-10 rep range.

Push

Some exercises may use dumbbells or be switched out depending on how my shoulders feel, which is why I put variant.

Flat Bench Press Variant
Incline Bench Variant
OH Press Variant
Weighted Dips
CGBP or JM Press

Pull

I'll be utilizing isolation for rear delts in an attempt to correct some postural issues I have and strengthen rotator cuffs.

Deadlifts or Rack Pulls (Depends on how my back feels)
Pullups
Barbell Row
High Pulls
Face-Pulls
Barbell Curls

Legs

Squats
Pull-Throughs
Barbell Lunges
Glute-Ham Raise

BendtheBar 05-16-2011 07:45 AM

Program looks good. :mh:

Quote:

I'm also an advocate of frequency training
Just watch your overall volume within these 5 days and all is well. I often tell guys you can do 9 sets for Bodypart X once a week, or do 3 sets, 3x a week. Just make sure your weekly volume is reasonable and you can train more frequently.

espm1000 05-16-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 137676)
Program looks good. :mh:

Just watch your overall volume within these 5 days and all is well. I often tell guys you can do 9 sets for Bodpart X once a week, or do 3 sets, 3x a week. Just make sure your weekly volume is reasonable and you can train more frequently.

Definitely! That's why I'm focusing on intensity. You shouldn't have to do 16 sets if you're really working --unless you're fueled by something the average lifter isn't--.

Abaddon 05-16-2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by espm1000 (Post 137721)
Definitely! That's why I'm focusing on intensity. You shouldn't have to do 16 sets if you're really working --unless you're fueled by something the average lifter isn't--.

I typically aim for 18-20 total sets, but now that I'm Deadlifting heavy my back and shoulder workout is only 15.

Learned by trial and vomit how much energy is lost with Dls!

MikeM 05-17-2011 07:05 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by "flexibility" in your schedule, but I'm reading that as you do a push day, a pull day, and a leg day. So, I will note that you can divide your "leg" days right into your push/pull schedule by doing Squats, lunges, etc. on push days, and pull thru's and butt raises on pull days. Quad/knee moves on push days, hamstring/hip moves on pull days.

That way you only have to alternate every other workout, but get more exercises in each of those workouts.

Just a thought.

Good luck. Keep smashing.

espm1000 05-17-2011 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeM (Post 138305)
I'm not sure what you mean by "flexibility" in your schedule, but I'm reading that as you do a push day, a pull day, and a leg day. So, I will note that you can divide your "leg" days right into your push/pull schedule by doing Squats, lunges, etc. on push days, and pull thru's and butt raises on pull days. Quad/knee moves on push days, hamstring/hip moves on pull days.

That way you only have to alternate every other workout, but get more exercises in each of those workouts.

Just a thought.

Good luck. Keep smashing.

I appreciate the input! I actually have an upper/lower that splits the the legs into quad dominant days and ham dominant days. I kept it this way on the push/pull/legs though to help minimize time in the gym.