Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Mike Mentzer Is A Genius (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6245)

BendtheBar 05-15-2011 12:42 PM

Mike Mentzer Is A Genius

I happened to stumble across this post on a lonely old forum somewhere deep across the known galaxy. I am only posting this because it was entertaining and interesting...

Quote:

wat are peoples oppinion of mike mentzer???

my oppinion....... legend, genius, pioneer, the true father of bodybuiding!!!
i cannot give enough praise to the man. his training philosophy is amazing.

i bought some of his books and a dvd a few months ago as i was looking for a better way to train and make better progress. after about 4 months of following his system i am 35 pounds of fat lighter and the strongest i have ever been in my life and i also stoped using steroids compleatly 4 monthsago.

i never made the progress i am making now wen i was using drugs and i am totally drug free. i train for 15 minuits once every 7 days and thats it.

the training is emensly brutal but very short and very very productive. dorian yates claimed to be a h. i. t trainer but his version is a very watered down version of mike mentzers pure hit work out dorians form was very sloppy compared to mentzers and his intensity levvels were poor compared to mentzers.

mentzer is a straight talker who tells you how it is not how the bodybuilding mags want it to be. the muscle mags are there for 1 thing... selling supplements. they tell us we need huge ammounts of protien to gain muscle so we buy the supplements. truth of the matter is we do not need anywere near the ammount of protien they recomend and mentzer new this, how right he was.

i could go on for ever about the genius of mentzer and the bullshit muscle mags and the so called experts that right in them. lets face it the champs that right in the mags are on rediculas ammounts of steroids and other drugs and have awesome genetics, this seems to make them "experts" iv seen a lot of them working out and fuk me they train like pussys!!!

if you have the open mind to try mentzers workouts and if you have the balls and stomach for it then you just have to try it. dont let his legasy die, he really is a genius and totally unapriciated. maybe people are just to lazy to train in his style.
r.i.p mike mentzer
genius!!!!!!!!

espm1000 05-15-2011 01:27 PM

Not sure if troll or serious?

BendtheBar 05-15-2011 01:33 PM

The post was on Dorian Yates' forum so I believe it was serious.

I really enjoyed Mentzer's writing back in the day because it was unusual compared to so much of the same old bodybuilding talk, but this tendency to take things to the extreme...don't care for it.

I will never like the combination of heavy weight plus training to failure.

Tannhauser 05-15-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 137541)

I really enjoyed Mentzer's writing back in the day because it was unusual compared to so much of the same old bodybuilding talk, but this tendency to take things to the extreme...don't care for it.

I agree with this.

I was a teenager when Mentzer first made a splash. At that age, he seemed like a genius to me too. He wrote, and spoke, as if he had a monopoly on logic and reasoning ability. I totally bought that at 18 years of age, especially as he was throwing in bits and pieces from Ayn Rand and Nietzsche, which struck me as the height of intellectual achievement.

He was undoubtedly a bright guy, and I still admire him, but he never really grasped that research doesn't necessarily back up the premisses to his arguments.

Great physique as well.

espm1000 05-15-2011 02:10 PM

Mike Mentzer was a genius at marketing. From what I understood he still trained relatively high volume even while he was publicizing his HIT principles. However, a lot of the principles involved are great to utilize from time to time.