Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Deads Instead of Squats? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6197)

Abaddon 05-11-2011 12:20 AM

Deads Instead of Squats?
 
..

Abaddon 05-11-2011 12:40 AM

Sorry, having trouble posting my complete question atm.

Abaddon 05-11-2011 01:02 AM

Long story short: In my 4 day body part style routine (which I perform 3 days a week, if that, and still make great gains) I am using front squats on my Legs, Traps and Forearms day because I don't have the equip for back squats.

I am not a fan of the front squat, esp now that I am able to go heavier. I find them awkward and a poor substitute for the back squat.

In addition to this, I am loving hexbar deadlifts; they allow me to go much heavier, safer. Deads give me pretty damn satisfying leg DOMS too, so I'd like to use them in place of the front squats.

Am I neglecting anything by doing this?

I've also found that the deadlifts on Back and Shoulders day are very draining and I've had to reduce my overall volume because of them.

Here's how both routines look right now:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-JgUssYPuHT...legs%2Betc.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Pqfr2pPWEM...lders%2BII.jpg

ALSO: With the deads gone I can beef up my Back routine a little bit. I have scrapped straight arm lateral pushdowns, and don't want to use them again...
I am sure there are other options out there.

Suggestions?

nighttrain 05-11-2011 04:52 AM

you can replace the deads with Pullups, and when you can do sets of 10 start adding weight...

i used to deadlift on leg day i dont think that it will cause any real problems.. maybe you can deadlift and just do light front squats....

Abaddon 05-11-2011 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nighttrain (Post 136408)
you can replace the deads with Pullups, and when you can do sets of 10 start adding weight...

i used to deadlift on leg day i dont think that it will cause any real problems.. maybe you can deadlift and just do light front squats....

Thanks for the response NT.
I am too heavy at the moment to do more than a couple of pullups.

Functionally speaking, my front squats are weird. I start from a sitting position... it's very much an improvised exercise that I'd rather not use, IF I can get perfectly good results with deads and a solid routine overall.

LtL 05-11-2011 06:08 AM

IMO you need to squat more than you need to deadlift. If front squats are the only barbell variant that you can do, I definitely would NOT drop them. You could add Goblet squats, dumbell split squats and other DBELL variants into the mix but they are a poor substitute for a heavy barbell squat of any kind.

LtL

Abaddon 05-11-2011 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtL (Post 136422)
IMO you need to squat more than you need to deadlift. If front squats are the only barbell variant that you can do, I definitely would NOT drop them. You could add Goblet squats, dumbell split squats and other DBELL variants into the mix but they are a poor substitute for a heavy barbell squat of any kind.

LtL

So, bottom line: keep the squats.

LtL 05-11-2011 06:19 AM

Nail on the head there buddy; keep the squats. I mean if you're not squatting, you may as well just hit chest and biceptz every day :p

LtL

Abaddon 05-11-2011 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtL (Post 136427)
Nail on the head there buddy; keep the squats. I mean if you're not squatting, you may as well just hit chest and biceptz every day :p
LtL

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GZPR3GL14I...is%2Bharsh.jpg

Abaddon 05-11-2011 08:00 AM

BUMP for the lulz


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.