Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
embrance
Brawn
Points: 1,024, Level: 17 Points: 1,024, Level: 17 Points: 1,024, Level: 17
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

embrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality posts
Default Reeves or RegParks...:/

I feel more comfortable with the way RegParks program works:As soon as you hit 5 reps,increae the weight.Also its for 5 reps,which is more myofibrilar hypertrophy than sarcoplasmc.

What are the advantages of each one(hitting 5 reps,instead of 8-12?)

Thanks for the input.
embrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Both are fantastic routines, its is just how YOUR body reacts to the different rep ranges, some people get better growth higher reos and some with the lower. I think Reeves 'may' be less stressfull on the joints as the weights are (slightly) lighter, but i would try them both and see how you feel.

if you havent done full body before though, make sure you take it steady to start with and work in to it slowly... give it a good few months to really adapt then you will be flying mate.

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Reeves is more variety while Park is more brute force on the basics. Like Carl said, either one is solid.

The magic in either will be the progression.

Don't worry about the various forms of hypertrophy. They aren't important as long as progression in reasonable rep ranges is taking place. There are too many variables in training to boil it down to forms of hypertrophy.

I am currently doing cluster training of very low reps which doesn't fit into any hypertrophy paradigm, but which works incredibly well. Progression of weight is the light and goodness in a world of dark and evil (and Weider).

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by embrance View Post
I feel more comfortable with the way RegParks program works:As soon as you hit 5 reps,increae the weight.Also its for 5 reps,which is more myofibrilar hypertrophy than sarcoplasmc.

What are the advantages of each one(hitting 5 reps,instead of 8-12?)
Thanks for the input.

Asking that question is sorta like asking these questions.

Which flavor is better, vanilla or chocolate?

Who was hotter, Mary-ann, or Ginger?

Girls with small butts or girls with big round butts?

Girls with Big breast, or girls with smaller breast?

Hamburgers, or pizza, which is better?

Blondes, brunettes, or redheads, which are hotter?

Is it the Pilot, or the plane, which is more important in being a good fighter pilot?

Army SF, Navy Seal, or Air Force PJ, which is the better special ops unit?

Which region of China has the best food flavor profile?

Gulfstream, or Global express, which is the better jet?

See what I mean?

The Reeves is a very adaptable program, and with the right knowledge you can mold it into a different program. The Reeves can be worked into a hybrid of 5x5, and 3x set configuration, easily.

If your fairly new to fullbody, I would stay with the Reeves as written and work it for at least 12 weeks.

Have you ever worked a fullbody 5x5 plan before?
If you haven't then you should be aware that the stress to your connective tissue is going to be your weak link. Even if you have been lifting for awhile, you're going to giving your body a new level of stress that it is not used to. You must start light, and work your way into the program.

The first 12 weeks are a vital, and important adapation period as you get into fullbody work. A lot of people fail at fullbody because they do not allow enough time for their body to acclimate to the new stress.

Even experienced lifters need to acclimate and work in slowly.

Go read Carls Reeves fullbody log, and you will gather a good insight into what I'm talking about.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
embrance
Brawn
Points: 1,024, Level: 17 Points: 1,024, Level: 17 Points: 1,024, Level: 17

embrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality posts

I have been doing full body the last 4 months.So i am quite adept in it,but not in higher reps ranges.thats why i asked.
embrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Food
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

Reg Park, can't go wrong with that guy. Reeves is pretty cool too.
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #7
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19

Training Exp: 34
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Snatch
Fav Supp: Elk
Wlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by embrance View Post
I have been doing full body the last 4 months.So i am quite adept in it,but not in higher reps ranges.thats why i asked.
If you've been doing low reps for 4 months it would do you well to lighten the load and up the reps.
Volume increase is great growth stimulator.

If you've been doing a heavy bare bones program more variety might be a good thing too?

"There's no such thing as shaping and toning. Only stronger and weaker." -Mark Rippetoe
Wlfdg is offline   Reply With Quote