Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
abett07
Brawn
Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts
Default squats and deadlifts , how much ?

both the deadlift and squat work the lower back hard so what would be the limit on how often most people could perform these 2 esercises ?
abett07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
Aurik
SFHW = Win
Max Brawn
Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 1-2
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Kettlebells, for now
Fav Supp: XTend
Aurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributor

Abett,

"That depends." It depends on quite a few things. It depends on your training level, your training intensity, and what the rest of your workout looks like. A novice or beginning lifter can recover from a heavy (to them) squat session and be stronger before the next workout. As your experience level and strength levels increase, the amount of time you need to recover from a given workout increases. For example, elite level powerlifters rarely do heavy deadlifts more than once every two weeks.

The real answer to your question is: Find a workout program that matches your goals and run it. There are some fullbody routines that include squatting (at less than full intensity/volume) every (workout) day. Other routines may restrict squatting to once a week or twice a week. It all depends on the intensity & volume of the workout and the ability of the lifter.

If you give us more information as to where you are in your journey and what your goals are, we can probably give you better information.
Aurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
abett07
Brawn

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts

I have been training for 3 months , currently using starting strength .I will stick with starting strength for as long as I can

I guess my question was out of interest and looking ahead to my next workout were I want an A B full body with squats one day and deadlifts the next
Old 04-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abett07 View Post
both the deadlift and squat work the lower back hard so what would be the limit on how often most people could perform these 2 esercises ?
It depends on several factors.

--% of one rep max used.
--Overall workout structure.
--Training level.

In general, when the volume and intensity is reasonable, I recommend:

--Deadlifts - once a week.
--Squats 1-3 times per week.

A beginner will not pay the same CNS price that an experienced lifter will, so they can often deadlift more frequently.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
Aurik
SFHW = Win
Max Brawn
Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 1-2
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Kettlebells, for now
Fav Supp: XTend
Aurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
I have been training for 3 months , currently using starting strength .I will stick with starting strength for as long as I can

I guess my question was out of interest and looking ahead to my next workout were I want an A B full body with squats one day and deadlifts the next
If you're already enjoying Rippetoe's Starting Strength workout, you may want to consider his Texas Method afte your stall out on Starting Strength. This is described in his book, "Practical Progression for Strength Training, 2nd Edition" (There is also a short writeup at The Texas Method - Starting Strength Wiki ), but the quick version is that it's a 3-day a week program, but instead of adding weight to the bar every session, you add weight to the bar every WEEK. The workout introduces the concept between a medium/light/heavy day, but follows a similar format to starting strength. Basically Monday is a high volume / medium intensity day, wednesday is a low volume / low intensity day (to help recover), and Friday is a low volume / high intensity day, where you try to improve on the 5RM you did the Friday before. Generally deadlifting is only done on Fridays, but squats (or in some cases front squats) are done every day of the week, but again at different intensities during the week.

Last edited by Aurik; 04-20-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Aurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:

Once you have run Starting Strength for a while, I would recommend the following pattern for an A/B split that is used 3 times per week:

A- Squats
B - Deadlifts
A - Squats
B - Romanian Deadlifts

You could certainly try alternating between Squats and deads and dropping Romanian deadlifts, but you may need to alternate between heavy and moderate deadlift days.

Are your goals primarily muscle building, or both strength and muscle?

Last edited by BendtheBar; 04-20-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

As for the Texas Method, it can be found here on Muscle and Brawn:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/art...as-method.html

This is a solid choice too, depending on goals.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 04-20-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
abett07
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Once you have run Starting Strength for a while, I would recommend the following pattern for an A/B split that is used 3 times per week:

A- Squats
B - Deadlifts
A - Squats
B - Romanian Deadlifts

You could certainly try alternating between Squats and deads and dropping Romanian deadlifts, but you may need to alternate between heavy and moderate deadlift days.

Are your goals primarily muscle building, or both strength and muscle?
at the moment my number 1 goal is strength
Old 04-20-2011, 08:45 PM   #9
abett07
Brawn

so how would this go as a base for an A B split ?

A
squat 5x5
bench 5x5
rows 5x5

B
deadlift/romanian 5x5
overhead press 5x5
Old 04-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
so how would this go as a base for an A B split ?

A
squat 5x5
bench 5x5
rows 5x5

B
deadlift/romanian 5x5
overhead press 5x5
I usually recommend a program like the above. It's fairly standard. On workout B day you could also add heavy abs.

From there, if you needed to add other work you could...pull ups, dips, calf raises, static barbell holds...etc.