Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #11
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

It's usually easier to squat more often; mainly because the deadlift uses more muscles in your body (about 80%) compared to squats.

That said, you can adjust your workload over time and adapt to different things. Some people train one more than the other, but I would always do each one heavy at least 1x per week and go from there.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #12
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Very solid advice given by all here. I find that I NEED to squat more frequently just to keep my legs from getting sore. That was the major drawback of the 531 program when I was running that. I was squatting once every nine days or so, and it was always a shock to my legs. Currently, I squat thrice a week, and have no problems with DOMS. I squat with a Heavy, Light, Medium format. Deadlifting is another story. At a pure beginner level, you may be able to deadlift twice a week (or maybe three times in two weeks), but as you get more advanced, you'll find your recovery ability an issue. Then probably once a week, or like when I was running 531, once every nine or ten days. Sometimes if I know I HAVE to adjust my workout schedule and actually miss a workout, I'll try to make it so I miss deadlifts. Deads are more forgiving if missed. My body can benefit from the extra recovery, and if I only miss one deadlift workout, I can usually just jump right back in where I was next time.

Good luck, and welcome aboard, abett07.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #13
abett07
Brawn
Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts

having problems with the cleans on SS so i think I might start this 5x5 workout

does this look ok?

day1
squat 5x5
bench 5x5
barbel rows 5x5
standing calve raises 3x12
shrugs 3x12

day2
deadlift 5x5
overhead press 5x5
dips 3x10
barbel curls 3x12
abs
abett07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:23 AM   #14
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by abett07 View Post

does this look ok?

day1
squat 5x5
bench 5x5
barbel rows 5x5
shrugs 3x12

day2
deadlift 5x5
overhead press 5x5
dips 3x10
barbel curls 3x12
abs
I suppose that looks OK. Is the rest of the SS program working for you? If the rest of it is good, I'd keep the program, and just address the issue of cleans. If it is a form problem, I'm the last to help you. If it is just a weight problem, try resetting back 10% or so. My simple solution, would be to bail on the cleans until someone could help me out on technique. For now, substitute in Pendlay rows. Not an exact substitution, I know, but they still work the jeepers out of your back.

Otherwise, what you have posted looks reasonable. Please keep in mind to give priority to your compound moves (squat, BP, deadlift, overhead press). Don't get caught up in carving out abs, or perfecting your "bicept peak." Those things will come in time. Focus on the main lifts. If recovery, fatigue, time, or any other limiting factor comes into play, MAKE SURE TO DO THE BIG LIFTS. Set aside the curls, calves, and shrugs for another day.

You're well on your way to being able to think things through. We like that here. Keep it up.

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
Old 04-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #15
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by abett07 View Post

does this look ok?

day1
squat 5x5
bench 5x5
barbel rows 5x5
shrugs 3x12 (MAYBE DROP THIS)

day2
deadlift 5x5
overhead press 5x5
dips 3x10 (MOVE TO DAY ONE)
barbel curls 3x12 (DROP THIS - DO CHINUPS 3xFAILURE)
abs
I know this is getting off the original topic (frequency of squats/deadlifts). But upon further review of your proposed program, how about substituting some chinups instead of bicep curls. Your back will thank you, as it is a vertical pull (just like cleans), and your biceps will get some activity too. I know they're not a glamorous exercise. In fact, they can be downright humbling. But if you're willing to move your body through space doing dips, then maybe try moving your body through space doing chinups. Three to five sets to failure a couple times a week ought to do the trick. Maybe move dips to "Day 1" and chinups to "Day 2". I'd start with the underhand grip as it seems easier to me. Don't worry if you're like me and can barely do one rep. Just grab a bar and pull. If you can only get a partial rep, hold it for a few seconds. Your strength will eventually increase, and your back will look awesome.

This is not at all intended to be Gospel, just a suggestion. I stand by my earlier comment that what you proposed looked good.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #16
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I would add that the 5x5's in your program will work best if the first 2 are ramped in some form. I am not a big fan of straight 5x5s in most cases on a fullbody approach.

Set 1 - 60% x 5
Set 2 - 80% x 5
Sets 3-5 - 100% x 5 reps

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:11 PM   #17
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I would add that the 5x5's in your program will work best if the first 2 are ramped in some form. I am not a big fan of straight 5x5s in most cases on a fullbody approach.

Set 1 - 60% x 5
Set 2 - 80% x 5
Sets 3-5 - 100% x 5 reps
Very good point, BTB. In fact, I'm currently ramping all five sets in my program. But whatever floats one's boat...

Old 04-24-2011, 03:58 PM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I am always paranoid about too much volume.

I know that some 5x5's (Stronglifts) are straight, but after warmup sets they can become a little too unrealistic for many of us.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #19
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I am always paranoid about too much volume.

I know that some 5x5's (Stronglifts) are straight, but after warmup sets they can become a little too unrealistic for many of us.
I found that out fairly early in my abbreviated Stronglifts endeavor. I still think it is a very good method for the right person (raw beginner; young; nothing else to do but eat, sleep, and lift). Of course, mehdi has people starting out with the empty bar for straight sets on all the lifts, so it could be a good six to eight weeks before most newbs hit the wall.

I forget, was it Reeves or Park that did it as you just outlined (2 warmups, then 3 sets of 5)? Still, at that rate and my current age...hoo boy.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #20
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

I have always found when building basic strength in people 4x6 increasing weights have worked well. When starting out I would often train my bench, then some Romanian deads. I would squat with various stances at the end of the week. The next week I wouldn't Romanian after benching, but squat heavier at the end of the week. I would follow that with some good mornings. Just a few thoughts. Best of luck to you.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote