Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #21
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
Of course, mehdi has people starting out with the empty bar for straight sets on all the lifts, so it could be a good six to eight weeks before most newbs hit the wall.

I forget, was it Reeves or Park that did it as you just outlined (2 warmups, then 3 sets of 5)? Still, at that rate and my current age...hoo boy.
Good point regarding Mehdi's program. It is very feasible when run as outlined.

Park usually associated with the ramping 5x5.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2011, 09:27 PM   #22
abett07
Brawn
Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts

thanks for all the feedback

just a few points

5x5 exercises will include 2 warm up sets and 3 working sets

the isolation exercises are supposes to fill in gaps so in both sessions every muscle in my body is being worked, to get a total body workout.

Thought about adding chin ups but I thought it might be to much back work on top of rows and deadlifts which is why i went with bicep curls.

bascily I want my routine to revolve around deads,squats, the over head press, the bench and rows anything else is just gap filling
abett07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #23
abett07
Brawn
Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
I know this is getting off the original topic (frequency of squats/deadlifts). But upon further review of your proposed program, how about substituting some chinups instead of bicep curls. Your back will thank you, as it is a vertical pull (just like cleans), and your biceps will get some activity too. I know they're not a glamorous exercise. In fact, they can be downright humbling. But if you're willing to move your body through space doing dips, then maybe try moving your body through space doing chinups. Three to five sets to failure a couple times a week ought to do the trick. Maybe move dips to "Day 1" and chinups to "Day 2". I'd start with the underhand grip as it seems easier to me. Don't worry if you're like me and can barely do one rep. Just grab a bar and pull. If you can only get a partial rep, hold it for a few seconds. Your strength will eventually increase, and your back will look awesome.

This is not at all intended to be Gospel, just a suggestion. I stand by my earlier comment that what you proposed looked good.
you have got me thinking about chin ups , are you sure that 15 working sets per week for the back isnt too much for someone with a few months experience ?

thanks for your help
abett07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:30 PM   #24
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by abett07 View Post
you have got me thinking about chin ups , are you sure that 15 working sets per week for the back isnt too much for someone with a few months experience ?

thanks for your help
I don't think it would be too much. You've got to consider that if you're like most folks, your chins won't amount to piddly poo at first. I am currently doing 5 sets to failure, and it looks like this: 1x1 1x1 1x1 1xpartial 1xpartial. I also suggested that you MAY want to drop shrugs for now. That will get you down to 12 working sets of back.

I don't mean to jack around your program. That wasn't my point. It was all about efficiency and streamlining. No sense doing two isolation exercises when one compound exercise will do. Chins would represent a vertical pull, just like the shrugs. Plus the biceps would get some work. I don't think you would be curling your body weight for 3x12. If you can, then I want to meet you.

Just my thoughts. I have no arguement with what you wrote. I do wish you well.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #25
MonsterMike
Brawn
Points: 1,098, Level: 17 Points: 1,098, Level: 17 Points: 1,098, Level: 17

Training Exp: 11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
MonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good posts

Personally....I say train smarter not harder....i mean....train HARD when you are in the gym doing these exercises, but I would reccommend doign them heavy all the time...recovery is always better...but it REALLY depends on who you are.
MonsterMike is offline   Reply With Quote