Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   best exercise for upper body strength ? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5891)

abett07 04-17-2011 05:04 PM

best exercise for upper body strength ?

what would be the better exercise for upper body strength the bench press or the overhead press ?

CoopDawg 04-17-2011 05:13 PM

I do love the benchpress, But i would have to say standing oh press, Because you are standing instead of laying and being supported by a bench. Put it this way, I can bench press 225 which is nothin to brag about but i can only standing oh press about 115x5

BendtheBar 04-17-2011 05:54 PM

For overall upper body strength...tough question to answer.

If we are considering functional strength, then I would have to go with two lifts...a press and row variation. Both are helpful in MMA, football and any number of sports.

If we are talking pure raw strength and power it's the deadlift. No other movement builds overall upper body strength better. If you can deadlift a ton, you will have some amazing strength in most upper body muscle groups.

I don't know if many remember this old school program, but the deadlift and dips workout is an effective combination.

CoopDawg 04-17-2011 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 130559)
For overall upper body strength...tough question to answer.

If we are considering functional strength, then I would have to go with two lifts...a press and row variation. Both are helpful in MMA, football and any number of sports.

If we are talking pure raw strength and power it's the deadlift. No other movement builds overall upper body strength better. If you can deadlift a ton, you will have some amazing strength in most upper body muscle groups.

I don't know if many remember this old school program, but the deadlift and dips workout is an effective combination.

Deadlift and dips sound badass, theres not a muscle being missed due to deadlift hittin so many

Carl1174 04-19-2011 02:01 PM

out of the two posted i would say the OH Press would be my choice, but for overall raw strength then it has got to be the deadlift. You cant hold on to 100, 200, 300kg's without serious strength in ALL muscles.

Carl.

BigTallOx 04-19-2011 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abett07 (Post 130553)
what would be the better exercise for upper body strength the bench press or the overhead press ?

Out of these two, I'd have to say the overhead press. If you included a clean with the press, then I'd definitely choose that. ( In strongman it doesn't matter if you can press it, if you can't clean it first. IMHO the clean usually takes more strength, and definitely more technique and skill, at least for me ).

Nat60s 05-02-2011 11:28 PM

You might still want to keep in mind bodyweight exercises. Its great to have strongman strength, but when you cannot handle your own body weight, it can get embarrassing.

Relentl3ss 05-29-2011 10:55 AM

Im going to be different and go with the bench press. I seem to get more of a burn in the upper body from the bench press in the chest tri's and slightly in the shoulders. Nothing compares to the burn you get in the shoulders from OH pressing though.

ILoveLifting 05-29-2011 02:57 PM

After recently learning proper technique If I had to choose between the two upper body movements it would be the bench press, without a doubt. BP is much more of a fullbody movement requiring the use of the legs to a much higher degree. Just getting into my setup and holding it is a better workout than standing and lifting weight over head.

MMA Max 05-29-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nat60s (Post 134382)
You might still want to keep in mind bodyweight exercises. Its great to have strongman strength, but when you cannot handle your own body weight, it can get embarrassing.

God damn word up!!!!! I see so many massive dudes who cant do one damn real pull up, One real dip or even 10 push ups..