Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #11
wevie
New Brawn
Points: 292, Level: 5 Points: 292, Level: 5 Points: 292, Level: 5
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 3 on and off
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press or Bicep Curl
Fav Supp: Not Sure Yet
wevie has made some quality postswevie has made some quality postswevie has made some quality postswevie has made some quality postswevie has made some quality postswevie has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
That sounds perfectly acceptable. My only suggestion is that if you can find inexpensive almond butter, use that instead. Whole foods are never a bad choice. Many lifters prefer the whey and waxy maize post-workout because of convenience - you don't need to prep anything.
I think that is what I will do then. I can get almond butter. It's not that much more expensive anyway. I will check at the wholesale club BJs we have here. What makes almond butter better? Less sugar or fat?

One other thing he suggest is to replace the whey with casein since I am working out at night and will be drinking the post workout about an hour or so before bed. He said it is slow releasing. What do you think of that?

I think I about got my game plan worked out now. I got to hit the store and grab a few things.

So one more question, at least for now. What is your opinion on the amount of cardio I should be doing? Like I said, I have been doing 3 to 4 hours a week. I do a ten minute warm-up before lifting and then another 45 minutes after. The other two day, I do 1 to 1 1/2 hour as well as some ab work.
wevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
What makes almond butter better? Less sugar or fat?
Well peanut is a legume, which I personally try to avoid. But my dieting preferences aside, here are some quotes:

Quote:
Both butters are rich in protein, fiber and fatty acids and have the same amount of fat (16 grams) and calories (190) per 2 tablespoons. They also have about the same amount of carbohydrates.

Almond butter takes the lead: Almond butter has 26% more Vitamin E, 3% more Iron, and 7% more Calcium than peanut butter. It's higher in magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and antioxidants.

What about the "fats?" This is where the almond really shines. Almond butter has 50% more monounsaturated fat than the peanut spread and about 25% less saturated fat. This is good news for anyone, and especially for those keeping an eye on cholesterol. Another important factor is that almond butter does not contain any trans fat. NONE.
Quote:
One other thing he suggest is to replace the whey with casein since I am working out at night and will be drinking the post workout about an hour or so before bed. He said it is slow releasing. What do you think of that?
That would be ok. I personally would like to see you use whey and then within 30 to 60 minutes after finishing your workout eat a whole foods meal instead of casein, but either would work.

You could get a casein/whey blend if you go the powder only route.

Quote:
So one more question, at least for now. What is your opinion on the amount of cardio I should be doing? Like I said, I have been doing 3 to 4 hours a week. I do a ten minute warm-up before lifting and then another 45 minutes after. The other two day, I do 1 to 1 1/2 hour as well as some ab work.
Cardio...minimal. Too much aggressive cardio before you zero in your diet can be counterproductive.

Most bodybuilders I talk to all say the same thing...they have made the mistake of doing too much cardio too soon. Do a minimum amount for health right now 3 times per week for 20 to 30 minutes. Zero in your diet. Diet and progressive resistance will take you far.

If you get down to 12% bodyfat and want to get really shredded, then I would start upping the cardio slowly once you are around that zone.

I am no expert on shredding at this level though, so I am merely speaking from the opinions of natural bodybuilders that i talk to.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #13
wevie
New Brawn

wevie has made some quality postswevie has made some quality postswevie has made some quality postswevie has made some quality postswevie has made some quality postswevie has made some quality posts

Quote:
That would be ok. I personally would like to see you use whey and then within 30 to 60 minutes after finishing your workout eat a whole foods meal instead of casein, but either would work.

You could get a casein/whey blend if you go the powder only route.
The thing with that is that I am working out at night. I workout, come home and go to bed about an hour or so later so I really don't have time for the post drink and then a meal. The reason I was thinking about using the casein is that is supposed to be slow releasing and I thought that would be better while I am sleeping. You think the blend would be better for that?

I will take your advice on the cardio. I have been doing a 10 minute warm-up on an elliptical for around 1.3 mile. I will continue to do that and then do 20 to 30 minutes after lifting.

What do you think is best? I have been thinking about doing HIIT cardio or maybe doing that for about 15 minutes and then doing something else that keeps me in my target heart rate for another fifteen minutes.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:42 AM   #14
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Well peanut is a legume, which I personally try to avoid. But my dieting preferences aside, here are some quotes:
Just to add a little about peanuts, in particular the ones used for peanut butter, they tend to be the ones that are sifted out as not so great for packet selling and okay for being ground up into peanut butters, which also means that mouldy peanuts can and do get through to the processing areas. Peanuts have a mould known as aflatatoxin on them which has been associated to liver cancer; it's a bit more complex than that since it relates to intakes of protein along side the amount of aflatatoxin consumed but since most people (on the forum) are consuming a good degree of protein in order to build muscle, in theory it will trigger the aflatatoxin that is being ingested more than in those that are consuming lower quantities of protein.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #15
wevie
New Brawn

That is a good bit of info 5kg.

I will definitely stick with the almond butter.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:00 AM   #16
wevie
New Brawn

Another question about the post workout drink. Would it be OK to add fruit to it for the carbs? Would that be good or bad?
Old 04-27-2011, 08:37 AM   #17
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Another question about the post workout drink. Would it be OK to add fruit to it for the carbs? Would that be good or bad?
That's perfectly fine.

My post-workout for a few years was whey and a banana.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote