Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Training Programs

Last night I couldn't sleep so I was doing some reading, and came across a battle between Stronglifts and Starting Strength. It was a 30 page thread and fairly interesting.

Anyway, one of the questions rolling around in my head was this:

Would the average guy who "just" wants above average (good/respectable) size and strength:

A) Prefer a rigid system like Stronglifts and Starting Strength that provides results but little variety.

B) Prefer more flexibility and variety (like Wendler's or Dioggcrapp) - a system that equips them with the proper tools (progression and compounds), but allows them to tweek a bit to fit you needs.

Wendler's might not be the best example, but I think you get my point.

All things equal, being equipped with progression and compounds and the other necessary tools to succeed, do YOU prefer a rigid system like SS or SL, or a looser structure with more flexibility?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Bump

Old 04-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I think it's down to the individual. Some people like routine down to doing the same exercises over and over. Others like more variety. I think a lot of how successful programmes are for people comes down to peoples' personality and how well it fits them in that respect rather than the programme per se.

The only caveat that I would put on that is experience. If you're a beginner lifter, the less exercise choices you have to make, the better. You don't have the requisite knowledge to construct a routine that is suitable for your needs so stick to the basics and progress slowly.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Which do/did you prefer, then and now?

Old 04-13-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

I've tried both, but I seem to make more progress when I can do some tweaking as I go while still adhering to certain constants like progression, exercise selection, etc.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

For an absolute beginner, Starting Strength is best. Full stop.

My preference when getting started in serious strength training was 5/3/1 with guidance (having transferred from a BB style split, I like the larger number of exercises). I still think that is the best way to take someone from a low intermediate level, to a competitive level of RAW strength.

My preference right now is Westside. It is working a TREAT for me and the exercise rotation keeps things fresh. You do need a higher level of knowledge to make it work though.

I think that answers your question although I may have got carried away...

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
Mombow111
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,550, Level: 22 Points: 1,550, Level: 22 Points: 1,550, Level: 22
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good posts

Use the generic routines as a model, experiment with them but keep the basic elements (never change more than one or 2 things per month I'd say). When you get tired of one, try another one that's radically different. Develop a repertoire of routines and gather knowledge about how your body responds along the way. Look for movements, rep schemes/ranges YOU enjoy doing primarily. A lot of people take exercises that completely obliterate their muscles, I prefer movements that my body is naturally good at and that leave me capable of important daily tasks such as walking, bending over etc. .

Ever since I got back to lifting around christmas I've been doing a push/pull/squat variation essentially (though it's more a push/pull, pull/squat, push/squat) and have slowly permutated from a 8x3 to a 5x5 to pretty much chaos and pain ranges now. I love it because I can choose from 5-10 heavy compound exercises, finish my 2-3 major exercises quickly (I find I recover much more quicker from a set of 3 than a set of 8), and still have time to do whatever else I want to do in the gym that day. The routine I follow might seem loose, but it offers enough latitude than I could go to the gym sore as hell and still have a great/enjoyable workout.
Mombow111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I guess for those just tuning in, my question is...

Do you like choice and flexibility, or do you like "this is the template, do it."

Old 04-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #9
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

I think that for the average person who wanted to big a bit bigger and stronger and who may not (at first) have a lot of understanding of exercise selection and placement, a program like SS would be idealI think too much choice early on coudl lead to people eliminating or substituting exercises neddlessly (I cartainly would have been guilty of this)

The problem though, is that most things (magazines, larger internet sites) readily visible to novices make programs like SS invisible or appear overly complicated.

Magazines prefer to sell the "look like QB Drew Brees" workout in a poster style format.

This confused me for a long time.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I guess for those just tuning in, my question is...

Do you like choice and flexibility, or do you like "this is the template, do it."
Personally, I like choice and flexibility. With one exception. I do run one templated structure for weight training depletion workouts as structured by Lyle Mcdonald when BF is low, but history (bodily feedback) has taught me I do not have to have Carbohydrates as low as he specifies and thus modify it accordingly.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote