Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #11
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I guess for those just tuning in, my question is...

Do you like choice and flexibility, or do you like "this is the template, do it."
I like both but prefer to meet in the middle with just enough flexibilty for something to not bore me silly but not that much flexibilty that it gets ridiculous.

Some people have low boredom thresholds so I guess the flexible approach would suit them, whilst others are fine doing the same thing over and over. I don't mind doing the same thing week in week out but I do enjoy having some variety as well and I like to be proactive with a routine, after all, it's my body that's gonna have to deal with it.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #12
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

I like rigid structure so that I know what I am doing and when, but I also like to be able to modify it slightly if needs be.

5/3/1 bored me a bit as it was the same a lot of the time

Splits had too much scope for changing things and then not really seeing the progress.

What I am doing now gives me enough of the same so that I can see progression, but enough variation to swap things about a bit.

I think if you are just starting then you need limited choices so you can concentrate on progression, but then as you get a bit more experienced you NEED to be able to swap things around so that you can find what really works for you...

so the answer the question directly lol . I like structure with a bit of scope for flexibility...

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #13
Lerho
Brawn
Points: 2,733, Level: 31 Points: 2,733, Level: 31 Points: 2,733, Level: 31
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Lerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good posts

Average guy who "just" wants above average (good/respectable) size and strength should prefer a rigid system like Stronglifts and Starting Strength that provides results but little variety.

But if average guy wants to get to "higher" level, he should use more flexibility and have to have an understanding of his own abilities, weaknesses, strengths, what to do when development stalls etc.

As for Wendlers 5/3/1, same ideas were used 15-20 years ago. Its just simple basic training, nothing more. But its well written with a lot of "hype" behind it and thats why some people treat it like its second coming of Jesus. Ok method for relativily beginners, but I personally dont believe in "one heavy set-mentality", at least not in a long run. One has to make up for it a lot with assistant exercises, otherwise basic strength levels will crumble badly. Volume is so low with that system. But as I said, good for trainees just past beginner stage and for those that dont have time/will to really focus on training. Good "everyman" program.
Lerho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:28 PM   #14
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerho View Post

As for Wendlers 5/3/1, same ideas were used 15-20 years ago. Its just simple basic training, nothing more. But its well written with a lot of "hype" behind it and thats why some people treat it like its second coming of Jesus.
That's one of the reasons behind my question. Wendler's offers flexibility, and I am wondering if that is part of the appeal.

While I think both SS and SL are solid programs, Wendler's has taken off like a rabid dog on crack running downhill in an ice storm.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #15
Lerho
Brawn

Lerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good posts

Quote:
That's one of the reasons behind my question. Wendler's offers flexibility, and I am wondering if that is part of the appeal.

While I think both SS and SL are solid programs, Wendler's has taken off like a rabid dog on crack running downhill in an ice storm.
Finnish powerlifting "guru" Sakari Selkäinaho said this regarding Wendlers 5/3/1:

"Its nothing groundbreaking. Rick Crain wrote same things some 15 years ago better than Wendler now. Lots of hype and marketing power, that is too often the case when talking about training nowadays.

But Jim Wendler as a person is very nice and clever guy. Its always been pleasure to talk and train with him."
Old 04-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #16
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Have you seen the writeup on Ricky's program on the web, or did it appear in a magazine?

Old 04-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #17
Lerho
Brawn

Quote:
Have you seen the writeup on Ricky's program on the web, or did it appear in a magazine?
I think it has been in Powerlifting USA-magazine... And also its been discussed in finnish powerlifting circles. But I dont have a direct link to it, sorry.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I figured it might have been in PLUSA. Thanks. I might email RDC.