Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:30 AM   #11
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

WOW Steve, just WOW.

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2011, 08:24 AM   #12
Aurik
SFHW = Win
Max Brawn
Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Tournaments Won: 1

Training Exp: 1-2
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Kettlebells, for now
Fav Supp: XTend
Aurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributor

BtB, as always you are chock full of good, useful information. My training for most of the past year has been a 4-day upper/lower split of some type that always starts out with one of the "big 4" compounds or some variant of it. It works for me, and I'm loving the strength gains I'm getting.

And I know exactly what you mean by "90% of the gym rats". There are a mere handful of guys in my gym who will ever do a squat (much less a correct squat), and even less who do deadlifts, and even less who will do a standing press (push press or military press). The majority of them just want to do chest and arms all day long.
Aurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #13
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurik View Post

And I know exactly what you mean by "90% of the gym rats". There are a mere handful of guys in my gym who will ever do a squat (much less a correct squat), and even less who do deadlifts, and even less who will do a standing press (push press or military press). The majority of them just want to do chest and arms all day long.
These are the real guys I am trying to help, and speak to.

I would never try to tell someone who has good size and strength how to train. I don't believe there is a "best way" for an experienced intermediate lifter. They train to fit their bodies and needs.

But more than that, I just wish we lived in a world where education on the differences between natural and assisted lifting were better known. You can't play soccer with bowling balls.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 04-11-2011 at 08:35 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #14
DevoD
New Brawn
Points: 258, Level: 5 Points: 258, Level: 5 Points: 258, Level: 5
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: Roughly three-four years.
Fav Exercise: Deadlift and Seated Row
DevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
These are the real guys I am trying to help, and speak to.

I would never try to tell someone who has good size and strength how to train. I don't believe there is a "best way" for an experienced intermediate lifter. They train to fit their bodies and needs.

But more than that, I just wish we lived in a world where education on the differences between natural and assisted lifting were better known. You can't play soccer with bowling balls.

Amazing post! I have fallen into that category who became lost in the sea of bodybuilding/strength information. After I gave up competitive sports where I was on a structured off-season program, I had to figure it out for myself. Four years later I have realized that it turns out I should have continued to train like an athlete; basic moves, 3-4 times a week, progression, and a few sprint/GPP/jog sessions as well for conditioning.
DevoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:41 AM   #15
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Fav Supp: Food
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

This is the best thread I've ever read here. Make it a sticky!!
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:21 AM   #16
skids
Max Brawn
Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Training Exp: 3
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Meat, Milk,
skids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beast

First off sorry for bombing this thread, but far out BTB, I too fall into the "I have never been so confused department". The world of weightlifting seems way to complicated to me and the more I read the more contradictions and confusion I find. I'm a natural lifter who needs more size and strength, I weigh in at a girly 245 pounds and I am really needing to weigh in at about 300. I just started on the Muscle and Brawn Powerbuilding 12 day ark workout and after reading this thread I'm thinking I am on the wrong workout. Do yous think I'm better of doing a fullbody 3 day a weeker, or carry on with what I am doing ? Cheers
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:52 AM   #17
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

A girly 245? (Cuss words) are you 8 feet tall?

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #18
skids
Max Brawn

skids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
A girly 245? (Cuss words) are you 8 feet tall?
No Sir, I'm 5 foot 10 inches tall
Old 02-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #19
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Well im 5'7 and weigh in the 260 range.I just aint ready for 300...

As far as your original question,still waiting on a specific answer...I can say about anything will work if you set your mind to it!

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:21 AM   #20
skids
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
Well im 5'7 and weigh in the 260 range.I just aint ready for 300...

As far as your original question,still waiting on a specific answer...I can say about anything will work if you set your mind to it!
Well I think I will carry on with what I am doing, The workout feels about rite and it has plenty of compound movements and it has a little scope for adding some more work. Cheers Elite