Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member
Default A different look at shoulder prehab

In my log and in other threads there have been some discussions of shoulder care, rehab and prehab. Here is an interesting blog post from Garage Strength on this subject.

Shoulder Prehab Garage Strength

Shoulder Prehab

After reading Joe Defranco’s article on shoulder health and pressing movements, I decided that a bit of a rebuttal needed to be put together. Defranco recommends against any overhead pressing. He discusses how overhead pressing can cause damage to the shoulder girdle and continues to describe shoulder prehab exercises to utilize for the health of the shoulders. Defranco seems to prescribe the very similar prehab movements that Zach Even-Esh uses.

So where do I stand on the issue? Well, clearly I would disagree with Defranco that we need to scrap all overhead pressing movements. Do I believe that caution needs to be taken when dealing with overhead presses? Absolutely!
Where does Defranco go wrong with his analysis? I believe he goes wrong with his volume of prehab to the shoulder girdle. Defranco likes to do band pull aparts, different forms of external rotation and different forms of trap exercises BUT the problem is he trains the shoulder in a very high rep zone. Every prehab exercise I have seen Defranco or his athletes do has been with reps over 15-20. This is why his athletes fail to succeed with the overhead pressing. The shoulder muscles are HIGH THRESHOLD fibers. Meaning, they respond best to lower rep ranges. Defranco is training his athletes to have healthy shoulders for when they are benching in the very high rep ranges but when his athletes were pressing high threshold weights, their shoulder girdles were not prepared for the very intense weights they needed to press.

What is my prescription for healthy shoulders?

Introductory to Pressing and Shoulder Prehab Phase 1 (4 weeks)

1A) External Rotators 3 x 15

1B) Band Pull Aparts 3 x 20

2A) DB High Incline (60 degrees) 3x 12

2B) Ring Reclining Pull Ups 3 x 12

Phase 2 (4 weeks)

1A) Lying Side External Rotators 3 x10

1B) Trap 3 3 x 8

2A) DB Military Press 4 x 8-10

2B) NG Pull Ups 4 x 8

Phase 3 (4 weeks)

1A) Seated Barbell Overhead Press (on Scott Bench to allow more girdle movement) 4 x 6-8

1B) Curl Ups 4 x 6

2A) Seated Ext. Rotator 4 x 5-6

2B) Powells 4 x 6-8

This is a very basic program to introduce prehab exercises and then gradually build into a full fledged overhead pressing program. The goal should be to get your working weight on external rotators to about 15% of your working weight on the presses. For example, if you are overhead pressing 225 pounds you should be doing 30-35lbs on seated external rotators.

The shoulder girdle is a unit of high threshold fibers. These muscles respond best to greater levels of intensity in their training.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Great post

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

nice post Bamazav.

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

I don't have any rings, but I think I can start a variation of the first cycle using a wider grip inverse row instead of the ring pullups. May also look into getting some rope to make something ring like to use. I like what I see in this article.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote