Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
Riggins
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Riggins is off to a bad start
Default What routine to do?

Guess I've been reading too much over the last few weeks. I'm 6 feet 245 lbs and want to workout again. I did a bunch of routines like SS, HST some years ago before the baby came and made my life busy as hell.

I think I might have added weight too quickly on Starting Strength and tweaked my back once while squatting and another time while deadlifting.

Anyways that's a long time ago, I want to get back into lifting but I'm way to confused about which routine to follow.

I have it narrowed down to a couple and just looking for some input, possible pro/cons for them:

Starting Strength
Stronglifts 5x5
HST
Casey Butts beginner routine
"The Program" from Stuart McRoberts book

They're all so similar yet different. Does it even really matter which one I pick?
Riggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Hi, welcome to the forum.
If you want something different, try mine. It's in my signature.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #3
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

I know the new baby and busy routine all too well! I'm a stay at home dad for a 5 and 2.5 year old!

I'm sure someone here will sort you out well enough on pros and cons of all the programs you mentioned, but for me, I found that it didn't matter what anyone else said about this program or that one. I scrolled through tons of them and was overwhelmed too, but some of them just had common threads that fit my workout parameters in terms of interest, goals, time needed per day, and days per week, etc. Then with only a few to choose from, I saw that only a few really really spoke to me as being perfect. I would suggest you go that route and see what speaks to you deep down. Don't wait for something perfect, just find something perfect for now and grow from there.

I am currently doing a 5x5 and loving it. Best thing I ever did. You will find one that is perfect for you too, I have no doubt.

Looking forward to you meeting your goals.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
Guess I've been reading too much over the last few weeks. I'm 6 feet 245 lbs and want to workout again. I did a bunch of routines like SS, HST some years ago before the baby came and made my life busy as hell.

I think I might have added weight too quickly on Starting Strength and tweaked my back once while squatting and another time while deadlifting.

Anyways that's a long time ago, I want to get back into lifting but I'm way to confused about which routine to follow.

I have it narrowed down to a couple and just looking for some input, possible pro/cons for them:

Starting Strength
Stronglifts 5x5
HST

They're all so similar yet different. Does it even really matter which one I pick?
Since you tweaked you back with rapid progression in the past, I would pick one of the programs above and just tone the progression down a little to fit your needs. Really all of the are good programs.

Right now you need to regain that fire, so to speak, so I would use the program that most motivates you to train.

Most of them focus on basics, and use the same lifts, so in the end hard work on any of them will lead to success.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #5
Riggins
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1

Riggins is off to a bad start

Whatever program I go with, I'll definitely take the Stuart McRoberts conservative approach to adding weights each workout. I have little plates I can bring with me to keep the cycle going for a long time I hope. I like the layout of Stronglifts as it's dummy proof and tells you exactly what to do. I think that's something that fits my personality. If things aren't laid out clearly, I'll start wondering and questioning the routine and look for something else to do especially once I start struggling with the weights.

I also like HST because the layout of it as well. You know exactly what to do every workout, but HST will be better for intermediate lifting I think.
Riggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:26 AM   #6
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggins View Post

Starting Strength
Stronglifts 5x5
HST

I too have tweeked my back quite badly using a rippetoe novice program. Like you it was from both deadlifts and squats. I believe part of it was my own over aggression with the weights and part of it was that my lower back simply doesn't recover quickly enough for max effort squats 3 times a week, week in and week out coupled with max effort deads and powercleans once, sometimes twice a week.

I agree with what BTB said, whatever you pick tone it down to fit your needs. I've learned with myself, if I simply focus on a weekly progression scheme, as opposed to a workout by workout progression scheme (starting strength), I do not run into much trouble (so far).

Bottom line, as hard as it can be to do, we have to listen to what our body tells us. You can't always push through and sometimes you have to hold back. It's better to hold back a few workouts and continue, than to be injured. Guys like me, you and I'm sure many others have learned this the hard way!
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:18 AM   #7
lars
Brawn
Points: 316, Level: 6 Points: 316, Level: 6 Points: 316, Level: 6
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Eggs :)
lars is off to a bad start

I would stick to a simple plan that fits with your duties as a dad. Focus on the big compound lifts and on the correct form. I think form is a very important factor when it comes to avoiding injuries. That and keep the weight increases moderate. I nearly dropped a loaded barbell on me while I tried some 1RM with a buddy and we were aiming to high.
lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:05 AM   #8
Kevsworld
Brawn
Points: 2,611, Level: 31 Points: 2,611, Level: 31 Points: 2,611, Level: 31

Training Exp: 20+
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Creatine Mono, Protein
Kevsworld has made some quality postsKevsworld has made some quality postsKevsworld has made some quality postsKevsworld has made some quality postsKevsworld has made some quality postsKevsworld has made some quality posts

As the others have said, you would probably do well to go back to one that was working for you before.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #9
MMA Max
Max Brawn
Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

MMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributor

West-Side is the best side, Nuff said

" Deutscher Stolz weltweit "

Violence. It may not be the answer, But it sure cuts down on the questions!

MMA Max is offline   Reply With Quote