Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
bigtim27
the thrilla from phila
Max Brawn
Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Lose Weight
Fav Exercise: Military Press
Fav Supp: xtend
bigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributor
Default Need a good 3 day a/b split routine

Ok I have a friend I'm tyring to set up with a simple A/B split routine for 3 days a week. She can only train for 40 minutes in the morning on mon-wed-fri. Her main goal is fat loss she is 5'3 165. She works out at planet fitness so no deadlifting and no free standing squat racks. ANybody care to help me make her a routine?
Old 03-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Sure Timbo. A couple questions...

What is her current experience level with weights/machines/any form of resistance training?

You think she will fear progression?

Will she be open to more daily protein?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
bigtim27
the thrilla from phila
Max Brawn

bigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributor

she has been training for about 6 months now and has lost around 30 lbs already. She gave me a sample of her daily diet and she barely has any protein what so ever but I've gone over the diet aspect with her and we have that squared away now and she is more than willing to get in her protein. This is from a message from her

"Well, I can only get to the gym in the mornings during the week, and I usually have about a half hour/40 minutes to spend there, so as of right now I've been doing arms/chest/back/abs Monday-Wednesday-Friday and I'm trying to incorporate a leg day in there on Tuesdays or Thursdays."

"Haha it's okay, unfortunately I do my weight training at planet shitness, then for cardio I walk home from work which is about 2 miles then I have an elliptical at home that I use for 30-45 minutes 3-4 times a week."
Old 03-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Sure Timbo. A couple questions...

What is her current experience level with weights/machines/any form of resistance training?

You think she will fear progression?

Will she be open to more daily protein?
I would add, diet wise, what does her menu look like on average for a week? I can help, as that is what I do with Fit For the King.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

With 30 to 40 minutes per day, I think we can get her on a good resistance program with a tight rest period between sets, and a simple focus on progression without beating her over the head with it. Let me do some thinking.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
bigtim27
the thrilla from phila
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
I would add, diet wise, what does her menu look like on average for a week? I can help, as that is what I do with Fit For the King.
First message from her when I asked about her diet.

"Normally, I eat a yogurt as soon as I get to work, I eat either oatmeal or a small bowl of cereal for breakfast, a soup or a small sandwitch for lunch, and something light for dinner. I will admit, I do go on binges here and there though. Ugh it sucks. Come to think of it, the exercise that I am doing is probably just helping me maintain my figure. I mean I still wear the same size and stuff but it's just not going anywhere lol "
Old 03-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim27 View Post
First message from her when I asked about her diet.

"Normally, I eat a yogurt as soon as I get to work, I eat either oatmeal or a small bowl of cereal for breakfast, a soup or a small sandwitch for lunch, and something light for dinner. I will admit, I do go on binges here and there though. Ugh it sucks. Come to think of it, the exercise that I am doing is probably just helping me maintain my figure. I mean I still wear the same size and stuff but it's just not going anywhere lol "
height and weight? Sorry, read it above, 5'3" 165. First thought from your previous posts:
1. You have already identified that she is not getting enough protein.
2. She is not eating enough. If she has not stalled, she will soon if what you listed above is the typical day. A rough in the head figure has her at no more than 1000 cals. For a woman around the age of 30, she should be getting close to 2000 a day to maintain. Either extreme can hurt weight loss, too much or too few cals.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Last edited by bamazav; 03-03-2011 at 01:15 PM.
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

This is sort of an HLM. It has some heavy compound-style lifts on each day, and some lighter work.

Right now we don't need to get her into all compound lifts. It's most important just to get her progressing so she can maintain that muscle while cutting. If she wants to go more "compound" that's certainly fine. I will list first choice exercises, and second choice.

We can encourage her to do the first choice, but if worse comes to worse she can choose option B.

3 sets each for 10-12 reps. Rest 45 to 60 seconds between sets.

For a given exercise, let's keep it simple:

Workout 1 she does 10, 10, 10 with a weight.
Workout 2 she does 11, 11, 11 with a weight.
Workout 3 she does 12, 12, 12 with a weight.
Workout 4 she adds a small amount of weight.

For isolations where a 5 pound jump is too much, let her keep adding reps until 15 and try again.

Monday
Squats or Smith Squat
Dumbbell Incline Press or DB Flat Bench
Barbell Row or Machine Row
Seated Dumbbell Press
Abs

Wednesday
Leg Extensions
Bench Press or Machine Press
Pull Ups or Lat Pull Down
Side Laterals
Barbell or Dumbbell Curls

Friday
Leg Press or Lunge
Flyes or Pec Dec
Dumbbell Rows
Seated Barbell press or Machine Press
Abs

Old 03-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
ForwardMotionStruggle
Strugglin'
Brawn
Points: 518, Level: 10 Points: 518, Level: 10 Points: 518, Level: 10
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: Not enough.
Training Type: Fullbody
ForwardMotionStruggle is off to a bad start

I have to ask this, but would she be willing to leave for a better gym?
ForwardMotionStruggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
bigtim27
the thrilla from phila
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
height and weight? Sorry, read it above, 5'3" 165. First thought from your previous posts:
1. You have already identified that she is not getting enough protein.
2. She is not eating enough. If she has not stalled, she will soon if what you listed above is the typical day. A rough in the head figure has her at no more than 1000 cals. For a woman around the age of 30, she should be getting close to 2000 a day to maintain. Either extreme can hurt weight loss, too much or too few cals.
I've worked out her bmr and her calorie need to put her in a deficit to lose 2 lbs a week would be around 1680 -1750 cal a day.