Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Strongman Training in a "modern" gym (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5562)

ForwardMotionStruggle 03-01-2011 12:08 PM

Strongman Training in a "modern" gym

Hey guys, I'm stuck in a contract that'll end February 2012.
There's a very slight change I may be able to get out of it, but it's highly doubtful.

So my question is, since I'm stuck spending my 30/mo here, what exercises can I do that would help me perform in a Strongman contest.

I've read BBG's article for what to expect.
A basic 225 push press and 400+ DL which are pretty reachable I believe.

What else are some things I could do?
Just stick to the basic lifts (bench, dl, sq, ohp, pullups etc)?

I have the basic equipment on deck.
Power rack, dumbbells, etc.

Thanks,
FMS

ricka182 03-01-2011 01:10 PM

I'm certainly no expert on powerlifting, but if you're new to lifting in general I would concentrate on the big 4 lifts first, Bench, OHP, Squats, and Deads. You get those down correctly, you'll get stronger. Then once you have a good solid foundation, then start to target different non-standard excersises to improve strongman conditioning.

ForwardMotionStruggle 03-01-2011 02:19 PM

I've strayed from powerlifting due to being locked into a contract with a gym with no bumper plates.

I wanted to train in Strongman type events such as farmers walks (which can be done with dumbbells I know, but limited by weights here), atlas stones, tire flipping, and so on.

Most of these I can pay for, make, obtain somehow, but I know I'd completely disregard my gym.

I'm trying to find alternative ways I can train for such events while being stuck in this...gym.

wesrman 03-01-2011 03:57 PM

Make yourself a sandbag and use it at home.

Mombow111 03-01-2011 05:23 PM

Anything that stresses back strength and grip strength I guess:
some ideas =
1. Zercher Squats/Deadlifts
2. Rope climbing
3. Farmers Walk
4. Rackpull/Deadlifts
5. Push Press
6. 1 Arm stuff- Swings, C&J, DL -> use either DBs or Barbells
7. Deadlift weight, walk it to rack put it down. Pick up weight walk it out of rack, put it down.
8. Over head squat
9. Heavy Shrugs

DocColossus 03-01-2011 07:42 PM

Go to a bar, try and get a few kegs, fill them and train with them.

Build a sandbag, train with that.

Wrap towels around the bar when dead lifting or doing anything that would resemble an axle lift.

lastly, I tried, and it doesn't happen in a modern gym, find a strongman facility, or make your own equip.

ForwardMotionStruggle 03-01-2011 09:37 PM

Thanks for the tips guys.
I'd make my own equipment, but I feel like I'm wasting money by not going to the gym.

I can't get out the contract so I'm locked in for another year.

Most have been saying work on grip and back. I'll get to it.
Thanks again.

Bodybygamma 03-02-2011 03:03 AM

Honestly work on your: Strict Press, Push press, Narrow grip bench press, Deadlift,stiff legged/Romanian deadlift,power cleans, rack pulls,hammer curls,isometric holds with dbs(front raises,side raise) db rows, 1arm db presses,neutral grip incline db preses, front squats, zercher lift variations,heavy calf raises & back squats,suitcase partial deadlift holds out the rack for grip and you should be good shape.

All those movements work out the essential muscles used in strongman contests,none will really help your events in terms of execution, only training events will help that, but if you do those movements the right muscles will be strong enough when the time comes & all you will need to focus on is learning technique on events rather then getting stronger too.

Bodybygamma 03-02-2011 03:05 AM

Also check youtube around for pro strongman videos, and see how they train in the gym. There quite some stuff on Jouko Ahola, Magnus Samelsson, Svend Karlsen (Viking Power),Maruis Pudz-(polish name),Derek Poundstone, Travis Ortaymer,etc...

ForwardMotionStruggle 03-09-2011 11:39 AM

Thanks for the tips. Trying to think of a routine to work on them later. Hm.

Man all those exercises you listed makes me want to go hit the gym right now.
Stupid job that I need to make money to live....