Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Squats and Deadlifts to failure

Have you ever squatted or deadlifted to failure? What was it like? And should trainees be doing these exercises to failure?

I have never done either, except for the occasional single rep max miss on squats.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
Smirkules
Brawn
Points: 2,232, Level: 28 Points: 2,232, Level: 28 Points: 2,232, Level: 28
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Smirkules is new to the forumSmirkules is new to the forum

Are you freaking crazy? I don't even want to squat or deadlift to begin with. You better get your noodle checked.
Smirkules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
RickB
Max Brawn
Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

RickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good start

After my DL injury, I'll say this. IMO, you shouldn't do more than 50% of 1RM if you are going to go til failure on these! Your form will fade and that is dangerous with too much weight.

And failure on squats can be really dangerous if you are by yourself. I'd say never do with less than 2 or 3 spotters.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
bwys61
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn
Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

it is ok to squat or deadlift to failure. However, failure also needs to translate to failure of correct form and technique. If you follow that rule, then chance for injury is almost none, and growth is great. Percentages are not important. Form is what is important. you can do heavy weights to failure as long as form is maintained
bwys61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

The reason I brought this up is that I an interviewing someone who trains these exercises to failure.

IMHO, deadlift is hard to maintain proper form - at least for me. I have to make sure I sink my butt down until my shins hit the bar, and push my chest out before every rep. It's hard for me to do that on multiple rep sets, so...I only do singles.

Personally, I would fear training deadlift to failure with 400+ pounds.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
swoleramon
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

swoleramon is new to the forumswoleramon is new to the forum

I get to about 6 reps on each and I'm too tire to try and go to failure.
swoleramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:11 PM   #7
BRaWNy
Pain Master
Max Brawn
Points: 3,850, Level: 39 Points: 3,850, Level: 39 Points: 3,850, Level: 39

Training Exp: ~23 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Back Squat
Fav Supp: Fish-oils
BRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
The reason I brought this up is that I an interviewing someone who trains these exercises to failure.

IMHO, deadlift is hard to maintain proper form - at least for me. I have to make sure I sink my butt down until my shins hit the bar, and push my chest out before every rep. It's hard for me to do that on multiple rep sets, so...I only do singles.

Personally, I would fear training deadlift to failure with 400+ pounds.
I agree and I like to add, that proper form and technique tends to be lost even without failure, just from fatigue and when the reps are to high, especially for deadlifts.
Personally my self, I don't go above 3 reps at the main sets, either at straights sets or either at part of sets (mini sets) if it's a cluster set, rest-pause or a bulldozer set etc.
With Squats it's Ok to go sometimes to higher reps

I think for these kind of exercises (the big exercises and exercises with bigger range of movement, see deads, squats, Goodmornings, power cleans etc) the best way to train is to have heavy loads and intensity, but with fatigue control, and go short of failure (except the 1RM attempts).
And if you have progress, you don't have to worry for anything.

On the other side, with the other exercises (not the big ones and these with shorter range of movement, like shrugs, curls etc), I think someone can go to failure and have sets with more fatigue, and of course more reps.
But training with fatigue control on these is also a good way to train.
BRaWNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRaWNy View Post
I agree and I like to add, that proper form and technique tends to be lost even without failure, just from fatigue and when the reps are to high, especially for deadlifts.
Personally my self, I don't go above 3 reps at the main sets, either at straights sets or either at part of sets (mini sets) if it's a cluster set, rest-pause or a bulldozer set etc.
With Squats it's Ok to go sometimes to higher reps

I think for these kind of exercises (the big exercises and exercises with bigger range of movement, see deads, squats, Goodmornings, power cleans etc) the best way to train is to have heavy loads and intensity, but with fatigue control, and go short of failure (except the 1RM attempts).
And if you have progress, you don't have to worry for anything.

On the other side, with the other exercises (not the big ones and these with shorter range of movement, like shrugs, curls etc), I think someone can go to failure and have sets with more fatigue, and of course more reps.
But training with fatigue control on these is also a good way to train.
You touch on a good point...fatigue leading to slight worsening of form. I especially notice this in deadlifts. I'm not implying that everyone has this same problem, but I do.

I just do not like doing more then singles at 85%+ 1RM. And from 70-85% 1RM, about 3 reps is my max.

I did a Westside template a while back, and worked up in 3's. My back really took a beating...I think from worsening form on reps.

And I also agree with you about big exercises and big weights...the rep work is always plenty good enough without approaching failure. 3 good set of squats in the 4-8 rep range and I am beat. And 5-10 deadlift singles gives me plenty of upper back soreness the next day. I couldn't even begin to think about training to failure on these exercises.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:13 AM   #9
Smirkules
Brawn
Points: 2,232, Level: 28 Points: 2,232, Level: 28 Points: 2,232, Level: 28

Smirkules is new to the forumSmirkules is new to the forum

It's hard enough to get proper form on deadlift for one rep.
Smirkules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:01 AM   #10
nighttrain
Max Brawn
Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68

Training Exp: 20+
nighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beast

^^ AGREED... failure is not a good idea on big lifts, because i can't maintain proper form...