Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:57 AM   #1
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member
Default Trying something new

New guy here just trying something new. I think a simple 5x5 program will help me focus on what I want to do which is simply see how strong I can get.

I'm doing Bill Starr's beginner for the most part, except I'm modifying it with some extra Lats and back because I think I need those more. We'll see.

So I'm doing Power Cleans, Bench, and Squat with some Stiff Deadlift finishers on Monday as my heavy day. Which aggravates me a bit I stink at Bench and Squat (I have Osteo arthritis in my right ankle, bitter.)

Then Cleans, Incline, Squats, as well as some Pullups, chinups, and Lat pulls as finishers on Wednesday

Friday is Cleans, Push Press, Squats, with some T Rows, Seated Rows, and Lat Pulldowns as finishers.

I'll do cardio and Abs on Tues and Thurs.

I set my "push" 5x5 max's today, and I'll do my "pull" max's tomorrow. Then I'm off and running next week. Yeah, starting on a holiday when the gym will be crowded, typical. There you go.

So, any critical advice on my plan is most welcome. I taught middle school for ten years, I have no ego to bruise. Let me know what you think of my plan.

I'm also thinking of doing a log on this site, but am a little worried that I am not really a monster lifter, would what I am doing be valuable to others? I mean that seriously. I read almost all the logs, and they were all monster lifters, or were young guys making monster growth.

I'm 46, family, etc., lift when I can, I personally like to think of myself as inspiring, but don't want to waste anybody's time either.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2011, 01:56 AM   #2
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post

I'm also thinking of doing a log on this site, but am a little worried that I am not really a monster lifter, would what I am doing be valuable to others? I mean that seriously. I read almost all the logs, and they were all monster lifters, or were young guys making monster growth.

I'm 46, family, etc., lift when I can, I personally like to think of myself as inspiring, but don't want to waste anybody's time either.
Your personal log would be most welcome, Mike.

For what its worth, I am not a monster lifter either (what ever this word actually means, is relative). I am in strict competition with myself when it comes to what I want out of diet and fitness. One of the greatest things about diet and fitness, is that one can blend in the ingredients to support "their own wants and desires", and this can vary from person to person.

You will never hear (read) me say that what you want (in fitness and health) is wrong because what I want is different than yours. Personally, I will support and try to help in what ever you are wanting to do, and I am sure the rest of the MABers will as well.

Therefore go make your log, and get what you want out of health and fitness, and flat rock this thing out!

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:15 AM   #3
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

Welcome!! Im on one of Bill Starr's 5x5 as well! Excellent routines!

Its good to see your doing the real stuff! Squats, deadlifts, rows, powercleans and so on!

You should make a log!! Its a good way to stay motivated. Also it doesnt matter where you start or how much you lift. All we care about is you reaching your personal goals and helping you reach them! Its also great to read peoples journeys in lifting and all there thoughts on different things.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:

While I don't want to pressure you into spending time doing a log that might take you away from other activities, I do want to encourage you to run a log if you have time.

MAB isn't about being a monster lifter. First and foremost it's about encouraging others to reach their goals. We are all at different stages in life and training here, but the one common denominator we keep is respect.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
bigtim27
the thrilla from phila
Max Brawn
Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Lose Weight
Fav Exercise: Military Press
Fav Supp: xtend
bigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributor

Welcome to the site. I hope you learn alot and enjoy it as my as I have so far.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:18 AM   #6
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Welcome, MAB is a great place to log, very supportive and helpful. I am not a monster lifter. Like Vitality said, I am in competition with myself, my journal provides needed accountability and encouragement. In addition, we could use another member of the Geezer Crew.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

Quote:

Pfft, who gives a damn what others think? As long as you're meeting your own expectations who cares.
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
wesrman
Max Brawn
Points: 4,311, Level: 41 Points: 4,311, Level: 41 Points: 4,311, Level: 41
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Chin Ups
wesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributor

Welcome.

Bill Starr is a genius. Ive read many of his articles.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:15 PM   #9
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Righto. Thanks for the support. Not to fish for more, but I suspect I'll be needing some words of encouragement around the end of week 4, so keep that in mind. : )

I liked the idea of a training log anyway because it will help keep me motivated, and force me to actually track my progress for once, so I wanted to do one anyway. I always lifted before to help with fat loss, but I was doing too many different lifts too many different reps to ever know how good I was getting at anything really. So, now I actually want to find out exactly where I am with lifting and what is working and what is not.

Interestingly, after setting my 5 rep max's the past two days, I was shocked to see my bench was heavier than I though it would be, my squat worse than I expected, and my cleans and OHs were pretty close to what I thought they'd be. It also feels like my arms and shoulders were hit with shovels. But, it was fun anyway and I'm looking forward to this.

I'll have all the percentages done and the training log up by Sunday to start Monday.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:12 AM   #10
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:

Sounds just like me. Welcome aboard, Mike. The beauty thing about MAB is that while it is populated with heavy lifters, those heavy lifters have all been where you and I are today. And they haven't forgotten it. They've all pushed or pulled the same weights that we struggle with. I have NEVER EVER EVER encountered any condesending attitudes or language from any of the elite lifters here. This is a brother/sister-hood. We're all in this together.

As to starting a journal, do it. That's how you learn, and also that's how we learn; from your triumphs and (yes) failures. Who knows, someday I might be hitting a rut on a lift and notice that you had a way of busting out of the same rut. That's how we both grow. In short, if you're gonna be here, earn your keep. Start a journal.

About your arthritic ankle. I have one too. Exercise is the best medicine. Mine flairs up this time of year, but usually goes away by early summer.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote