Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Food
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor
Default Is bulking and cutting a thing of the past?

I've been doing some reading lately, and with all of the good information out there, there's some practices that are/maybe obsolete. I'm thinking bulking and cutting might be one of them. If you think, "You gotta get fat to get big!" there may be a better way. Insulin (carb) management is the key to getting bigger and staying relatively lean it seems, so in a nutshell if you consume your daily carbs before and after workouts, you can take advantage of the insulin spike when it counts, and not have to be concerned with getting chubby (if you care about that). For a double whammy you could take supplements that improve insulin sensitivity. Discuss.
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

What's your view on this?

Personally, I've never understood anyone who gains lots of extra "fat" mass and then takes ages stripping it off, better to gain slightly less lean mass and less fat mass overall and not have to spend ages stripping lots of excess bodyfat.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn

Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
What's your view on this?

Personally, I've never understood anyone who gains lots of extra "fat" mass and then takes ages stripping it off, better to gain slightly less lean mass and less fat mass overall and not have to spend ages stripping lots of excess bodyfat.
Personally I think it B.S, I've never done a bulk cycle in my life and I got big and strong.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

I think eating slightly over maintainence is ideal. If you eat too far over and your gaining fat then you are oviously eating too much as the fat is stored 'excess' calories. If you can get to the level where the calories are used to build muscle but there are no excess then that would be perfect. Trouble with that is its really tricky to do, hard to moniter and doesnt show immediate results that a lot of people thrive on.

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

I'm torn on this debate as I am still not sure what an "acceptable" ratio of fat to muscle gain would be? At one point in December it looked like I was gaining a pound of fat for every 2 pounds of muscle. I need to get my BF checked to see is this is still the case.

I have never done a proper cut and am currently just on my second planned bulk ever. The two bulking phases have been the only two times where I have put on significant weight in a regular fashion.

When I used to just lift and not focus on gaining weight (I wasn't clear on nutrition) I rarely gained and gains were slow.

So, in my mind, I feel like bulking works because it has and is helping me to get bigger.

Trevor, I've never used that kind of carb control approach. When you say you got bigger without bulking, how much weight over what period of time?
Old 02-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Because of the natural gains curve, it makes more sense to lean towards a more conservative approach with each additional pound of muscle you gain.

While how aggressively you eat is up to you, it is a reality that naturals can't continue to add unending amounts of muscle, so aggressive bulks once you are past heavy beginner gains is a waste of food.

It is my opinion that if you are young and a beginner you should eat aggressively if your training is as it should be. Once you are past beginner gains, a moderate clean bulk is the way to go.

Cutting? It's for competitors. Or beach goers.

I will also mention that far too many young lifters undereat and wonder why gains aren't coming. Undereating has far more of a downside than overeating if you are training hard.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post

Undereating has far more of a downside than overeating if you are training hard.
Learned that the hard way lol.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #8
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Because of the natural gains curve, it makes more sense to lean towards a more conservative approach with each additional pound of muscle you gain.

While how aggressively you eat is up to you, it is a reality that naturals can't continue to add unending amounts of muscle, so aggressive bulks once you are past heavy beginner gains is a waste of food.

It is my opinion that if you are young and a beginner you should eat aggressively if your training is as it should be. Once you are past beginner gains, a moderate clean bulk is the way to go.

Cutting? It's for competitors. Or beach goers.

I will also mention that far too many young lifters undereat and wonder why gains aren't coming. Undereating has far more of a downside than overeating if you are training hard.
If there is one thing i could change from when i started lifting it would be that i just ate everything in sight. You see too many kids not getting the gains they should cos they are worried about losing the six pack... Just eat and build whan you start, its lots easier to strip the fat than to build the muscle...

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #9
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MC* View Post

Trevor, I've never used that kind of carb control approach. When you say you got bigger without bulking, how much weight over what period of time?
I gained 115lbs over eight years, not all of it was pure muscle of course, but most of it is. I went from 175-190, 190-207, 207-217, 217-225, 225-230, 230-260 (God bless Louie Simmons), 260-290, and 290-275 which is my current weight.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:29 PM   #10
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Ross View Post
I gained 115lbs over eight years, not all of it was pure muscle of course, but most of it is. I went from 175-190, 190-207, 207-217, 217-225, 225-230, 230-260 (God bless Louie Simmons), 260-290, and 290-275 which is my current weight.
What do you estimate is your lean body mass?

How tall are you again?
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote